DAT Score--advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nalabear94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some advice with regards to my DAT Score.

I wrote my DAT Dec 27th, 2018, my scores were:
Bio: 23 Chem: 24 Ochem: 26 RC: 18 PAT: 17 Qr: 17
TS: 24 AA: 22

The reason for the huge jump on my last three sections were due to a computer malfunction at the testing centre. literally my absolute worst nightmare. I reported the problem immediately and also emailed ADA and they offered me a retake within 30 days from today, which would be February 10th. The problem with that is, I took the DAT during my winter break when I didnt have school and work commitments. Im currently enrolled in a full course load, work 20 hours a week and have volunteering. Feb 10th is exactly when all my midterms are and im having the worst anxiety about it ever, I know that a month would be more than enough if i didnt have any other worries but with school underway, Im worried i'll jeopardize my good TS scores by retaking. Im a canadian applicant, applying to the states. My GPA is low, around 3.2 and because im international, I knew that I had to knock the DAT out of the park in order to have a chance. I gave my heart and soul to studying for this thing. I Did destroyer 3x through, bootcamp twice through and qvault twice through as well. My scores on PAT and RC were so much higher in bootcamp, i was scoring between 20-21s, and while math is definitely my weakest section, I did the QR destroyer 3x through and would scores 19-20s on bootcamp and qvault, never as low as 17. I was never expecting a high score in math, but my PAT and RC hurt me so bad. I thought id have this whole DAT nightmare behind me but it looks like im not done yet.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should do, whether a retake is worth it. Im leaning towards doing the free retake because those 17s do not look good at all, and also due to my low gpa, but at the same time im worried about jeopardizing my TS scores because i have classes to study for and wont have the same commitment i did when i wrote it the first time. please help!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

This sucks :( I'm sorry this happened!

Personally, because you didn't take it too long ago (it's only been two weeks), I would schedule a retake for a week from now, with there not being too much to worry about school (start of a semester/quarter usually isn't too bad). Take a week off from work and volunteering (let them know about the situation if you can- I'm sure they'd be understanding, I'd hope). Brush up, review, you've learned all this material many times over and it's ingrained in you. I'm positive you can score around the same for the sciences, keeping your TS relatively the same, and definitely be able to boost your AA with RC and QR!

You studied hard and this is one teeny tiny last hurdle you gotta get through as a pre-dental student (I mean dental school has its own hurdles lol). I'm not leaning towards not retaking only because schools may see the high TS and the good AA, ask you what happened with RC/QR/PAT, and then after you explain what happened, wonder why you wouldn't take a free retake, if you knew the material and would've scored well if the malfunction hadn't happened. <- this is just my opinion!

Reactions: 1 users
This sucks :( I'm sorry this happened!

Personally, because you didn't take it too long ago (it's only been two weeks), I would schedule a retake for a week from now, with there not being too much to worry about school (start of a semester/quarter usually isn't too bad). Take a week off from work and volunteering (let them know about the situation if you can- I'm sure they'd be understanding, I'd hope). Brush up, review, you've learned all this material many times over and it's ingrained in you. I'm positive you can score around the same for the sciences, keeping your TS relatively the same, and definitely be able to boost your AA with RC and QR!

You studied hard and this is one teeny tiny last hurdle you gotta get through as a pre-dental student (I mean dental school has its own hurdles lol). I'm not leaning towards not retaking only because schools may see the high TS and the good AA, ask you what happened with RC/QR/PAT, and then after you explain what happened, wonder why you wouldn't take a free retake, if you knew the material and would've scored well if the malfunction hadn't happened. <- this is just my opinion!

That's honestly such a good point, i didnt even think of it like that, youre totally right. If they bring it up in an interview and ask why i didnt take the retake when i was given the option to then id have no answer, other than the fact that I had school and work commitments.
Thank you for your advice, I think im just most fearful of getting a lower TS and gambling that mark. Do you have any advice for how to use this month or so effectively?

Thank you for your positivity!

That's honestly such a good point, i didnt even think of it like that, youre totally right. If they bring it up in an interview and ask why i didnt take the retake when i was given the option to then id have no answer, other than the fact that I had school and work commitments.
Thank you for your advice, I think im just most fearful of getting a lower TS and gambling that mark. Do you have any advice for how to use this month or so effectively?

Thank you for your positivity!
I'd just maybe go through Destroyer and Bootcamp again real quick and review all your notes. I wouldn't maybe take it a month from now, I'd try to take it earlier while school is still "easy".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

The reason for the huge jump on my last three sections were due to a computer malfunction at the testing centre. literally my absolute worst nightmare. I reported the problem immediately and also emailed ADA and they offered me a retake within 30 days from today, which would be February 10th. The problem with that is, I took the DAT during my winter break when I didnt have school and work commitments. Im currently enrolled in a full course load, work 20 hours a week and have volunteering. Feb 10th is exactly when all my midterms are and im having the worst anxiety about it ever, I know that a month would be more than enough if i didnt have any other worries but with school underway, Im worried i'll jeopardize my good TS scores by retaking. Im a canadian applicant, applying to the states. My GPA is low, around 3.2 and because im international, I knew that I had to knock the DAT out of the park in order to have a chance. I gave my heart and soul to studying for this thing. I Did destroyer 3x through, bootcamp twice through and qvault twice through as well. My scores on PAT and RC were so much higher in bootcamp, i was scoring between 20-21s, and while math is definitely my weakest section, I did the QR destroyer 3x through and would scores 19-20s on bootcamp and qvault, never as low as 17. I was never expecting a high score in math, but my PAT and RC hurt me so bad. I thought id have this whole DAT nightmare behind me but it looks like im not done yet.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should do, whether a retake is worth it. Im leaning towards doing the free retake because those 17s do not look good at all, and also due to my low gpa, but at the rsame time im worried about jeopardizing my TS scores because i have classes to study for and wont have the same commitment i did when i wrote it the first time. please help!! :(

Congratulations! These are great scores! I am sorry you had a computer problem but if you retake you run the risk of lower scores in the science sections. Your science scores are blazing, just what schools like. You will get a different exam on the retake. IMO unless you feel these scores will keep you from getting interviews and acceptances I would not retake.

Just my 2 cents!

24 TS/22AA...you did knock it out of the park. The only section that is a little worrisome is the RC, but i really think you will get interviews. Dont even worry about the pat or qr. I had the same sgpa as you, and 21 aa/ts, 23 RC, but 16 qr and 18 pat. I had 6 interviews this cycle. And was accepted at the 3 interviews I actually went to. If there is any worry in your mind that your science sections might dip if you retake the DAT, I wouldnt risk it

Congratulations! These are great scores! I am sorry you had a computer problem but if you retake you run the risk of lower scores in the science sections. Your science scores are blazing, just what schools like. You will get a different exam on the retake. IMO unless you feel these scores will keep you from getting interviews and acceptances I would not retake.

Just my 2 cents!

Thats a good point. And also, thank you so so so much for the destroyer in particular, I lived and breathed that book, the poor book looks like its aged 200 years and is falling apart because I used it so much. It was an indispensable part of my studying.
My primary concern is that im international and with less seating, would need to have a higher grade to get through. I appreciate your advice, it gave me something to think about.

Last edited:
24 TS/22AA...you did knock it out of the park. The only section that is a little worrisome is the RC, but i really think you will get interviews. Dont even worry about the pat or qr. I had the same sgpa as you, and 21 aa/ts, 23 RC, but 16 qr and 18 pat. I had 6 interviews this cycle. And was accepted at the 3 interviews I actually went to. If there is any worry in your mind that your science sections might dip if you retake the DAT, I wouldnt risk it

Aw thank you for making me feel better and for your advice. haha yeah the RC was the biggest shock to me.. It was one of my strongest sections going into the exam since I'm so comfortable with reading. I breezed through the practice exams in that section. It was entirely the computer not allowing me to complete the section properly :boom:.

Thats a good point. And also, thank you so so so much for the destroyer in particular, I lived and breathed that book, the poor book looks like its aged 200 years and is falling apart because I used it so much. It was an indispensable part of my studying.
My primary concern is that im international and with less seating, would need to have a higher grade to get through. I appreciate your advice, it gave me something to think about.
Maybe you could even call the schools and get their advice. It is indeed a tricky situation. IMO, I would sit tight with these scores. One of our students got accepted into NYU yesterday with an 18 in reading and 15 in Math, his science scores were similar to yours.

Keep us posted, and glad you enjoyed the Destroyer, a book that is falling apart is a good thing, it says it was used properly, a pristine book shows no use.

PAT/QR aren't really an issue, schools usually have those cutoffs pretty low

RC might be ~ehh since RC is pretty important - be sure to check schools you're interested in to see if they have cutoffs for them.

Even without cutoffs, RC < 20 is still not ideal.

PAT/QR aren't really an issue, schools usually have those cutoffs pretty low

RC might be ~ehh since RC is pretty important - be sure to check schools you're interested in to see if they have cutoffs for them.

Even without cutoffs, RC < 20 is still not ideal.
You're right, especially considering that im international I think they're going to be super suspicious of a low RC mark. Do you have any suggestions for how improve it?

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should do, whether a retake is worth it. Im leaning towards doing the free retake because those 17s do not look good at all, and also due to my low gpa, but at the same time im worried about jeopardizing my TS scores because i have classes to study for and wont have the same commitment i did when i wrote it the first time. please help!! :(
Unless you are totally sure that you will score higher the second time, then you can retake it. But you TS is good score as well as your science courses.

Like everyone said you're fine for since your AA is quite high. I've seen people get in with much worse stats so I would give it a try and see what happens with your application