1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DAT score limit????

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by xenomblack, Aug 7, 2006.

1. xenomblack

xenomblack Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey
    I was wondering what's the lowest DAT score for most schools ?
    I heard the minimum for every section is 16 except for reading which is 18..

is it true?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. earthcap

earthcap Interview!
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't know what the minimum is for each school. I would imagine it would depend on what school you're talking about. But I know that you can still get interviewed and accepted to some of the reputable schools even if you have reading score lower than 18.

4. billermo

billermo Member
    5+ Year Member

I was accepted to two schools (7 interviews) last year with the following....

AA 18
    TS 18
    PAT 19
    Bio 20
    Chem 19
    OChem 17
    Reading 17
    Math 15

I think my Bio score offset some of the lower scores. Some of the interviewers even said the Bio score is the most important.

Once you meet the minimum DAT scores (whatever that might be), there are a lot of other factors that go into the decision. GPA is a big one. Quality of education, dental experience, etc.

5. lizjunk

lizjunk Hammie the squirrel
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    so what was your GPA billermo? I had almost similar score as you did, really! and with 15 schools, not even 1 interview!!! I was really upset. But when did you finish your application? Which school did you got into? I had research exp. too and that didn't help with anything. :( :( :(

6. Lucass

Lucass RunswithPredents
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've heard 16 is a good rule of thumb for most schools, but once again, every school has their own standard. Some schools have their DAT minimums posted on their website: UOP is 16 on every section, Tufts is 16/16/15...I've heard Indiana's is 16 on all sections (except reading--18). I find it hard to believe however, that if you've got a section that doesn't meet the minimum and you've got terrific other scores (21+) that they won't make exceptions. I could be wrong, however. I ended up getting a 15 on math, but I've got 2 interviews lined up already.

7. shl3608

shl3608 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would say 16 is the least minimum you need to have your app packet looked at by most of the schools.

If you would like an invite to any interviews, I would say 18 and above ought to do it...

Good luck

8. drdoodle

drdoodle Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  9. xenomblack

xenomblack Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

it's good to hear someone who got below the standard I thought and STILL got interviews lined up....

I guess 18 minimum on reading is understandable considering how students generally score better on that section than others...

I'm an international student, and I can't do well on that particular section as well as I do on the others..

My test is coming up soon, so i'm having my fingers crossed and studying hard.
    hoping for the best result heh