DAT score. My chances? Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rosa0587

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers. I sent my apps in late June and took my DAT mid-August. My scores are below:

PAT 25
QR 18
RC 17:(
BIO 18
CHEM 20
OCHEM 21

TS 19
AA 19

sGPA of 3.12 and oGPA 3.2.
150+ hours of shadowing hours of general dentists.
100+ hours of community service
I have been working full time as a dental office receptionist/dental assistant for the past 15 months.
I have held executive board positions all 4 years in college in my fraternity as well.

I know I dont have a GPA or DAT scores up to par with a lot of people on the SDN forums, but what do you all believe my chances are for this cycle? Should I retake the DAT? Or should I just focus on increasing my GPA? I have applied to Pacific, BU, NYU, Western, UNLV and a few others that I dont think I have a shot at. If I dont get in anywhere this cycle, are there any other schools you guys recommend I should add to my list?

Members don't see this ad.

you have already submitted your app
so what is your problem?
you are in the same boat as everyone
just wait and be patient

Hello SDNers. I sent my apps in late June and took my DAT mid-August. My scores are below:

PAT 25
QR 18
BIO 18
CHEM 20
OCHEM 21

TS 19
AA 19

I have been working full time as a dental office receptionist/dental assistant for the past 15 months.
I have held executive board positions all 4 years in college in my fraternity as well.

I know I dont have a GPA or DAT scores up to par with a lot of people on the SDN forums, but what do you all believe my chances are for this cycle? Should I retake the DAT? Or should I just focus on increasing my GPA? I have applied to Pacific, BU, NYU, Western, UNLV and a few others that I dont think I have a shot at. If I dont get in anywhere this cycle, are there any other schools you guys recommend I should add to my list?

I am sorry to say, your GPA and DAT score are pretty average. I know people who got a 22AA that didn't get accepted into any schools last year. It is getting tougher. Just wait and see. But preparing for next cycle would not be a bad idea. I am just trying to be honest.

Wow.... I wondered what type of credentials will get people into dental schools.

I am sorry to say, your GPA and DAT score are pretty average. I know people who got a 22AA that didn't get accepted into any schools last year. It is getting tougher. Just wait and see. But preparing for next cycle would not be a bad idea. I am just trying to be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol just wait!! Schools just received your DAT scores..dont worry about the sdnerd here!! I am sure you will get some interview :) stay positive

I completely disagree. I think you have a real decent shot! Don't retake. Nothing is below a 17 so I would say your 19/19/25 is a HUGE success. Good luck

I don't like hearing about people with 22AA not getting into school, but what were their other stats? Did they apply late in the cycle or have any red flags with their application?

Just curious as I have a 22AA and a below average GPA of 3.44 and sGPA of 3.21.

I don't like hearing about people with 22AA not getting into school, but what were their other stats? Did they apply late in the cycle or have any red flags with their application?

There's really no point in asking people if you will get in to this school or that school. Their judgement is only as good as yours. Usually, people that don't get in with those scores I would have to guess either have very low GPA, did horribly on the interview, had a crappy personal statement, crappy letters of rec and no valuable ECs

you can't only tell by DAT scores. there are factors other than numbers and also as you mentioned the date of submission.

Getting a 22 AA and being rejected is like saying someone read 25% of the assigned pages, and failed an exam.

Nothing you can do now regarding application. See what happens and go in after that. Also I think any form of personal visit or msg to high ranking people would go far (if you can schmooze well)

PAT 25
QR 18
BIO 18
CHEM 20
OCHEM 21

TS 19
AA 19

Don't let other peoples opinions bring you down, and even if someone got 22AA their application might of not been impressive, and some schools look for personality as well, for example u of d is really big on personality even if you are a genius on paper, trust me.
there might be something they really like about your application, so don't get over whelmed or stressed, just wait and see what happens!

How did you do so well on the PAT section ?

PAT 25
QR 18
BIO 18
CHEM 20
OCHEM 21

TS 19
AA 19