DAT score report...when to send if retaking DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheikha9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone

i took my first DAT in July -- AA18 PAT17

my aadsas application was sent out on july 24th to the 6 schools i had designated

after taking the DAT, i decided to apply to 9 more schools, and i have also decided to retake the DAT in October

now, my aadsas application has not been printed and sent to the additional 9 schools yet, and i did not ask for official DAT scores to be sent to them either

my q is: should i wait till October after I retake my DAT to have the official DAT scores sent to all my 9 extra schools? or should i have the scores of my July test sent, and then again the scores of my October test sent...which will be expensive!

and i found out that my application will not be reviewed untill i retake my DAT in October, how badly will this hurt my chances? Should I just have my July DAT scores sent to everyone so that they can at least consider my application for now, and then maybe they can reconsider me in October when I retake my DAT

i'm confused....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I took the DAT at the end of July and got a 19/20/16. I would like to retake it and improve my PAT, but I don't know if it's worth it. I have already had my printouts sent and my scores sent, plus I've done a few secondaries. Since my material is in pretty early, should I just let it ride, or should I retake it without telling the schools and send my score in when I get it?

Hey guys! Guess what? I'm in the same boat too!

To the OP, I would send the scores of your first DAT to all your dental schools.

Then email them or write them a letter stating that you're re-taking the DAT in October.

Unfortunately, many of the dental schools have told me that they will place my application on the side until my scores for the second DAT are available.

Did you specify on your AADSAS application that you have a "future" test in October?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a hard question to answer. If you send in your old scores, you're still early in the application cycle but the admissions committee may just reject you because your stats are too low. On the other hand, if you wait till your second scores come in, your stats are better, but you are pretty late in the game. Talk with the dental schools and see what they would recommend.

Jumping into the boat...

I'm retaking in September, I think. I figure if a higher score means the difference between having somewhere to go next year and having to go through this process a 2nd time... $175 beats out another $1000 or so

so im also retaking the dat in september, but i thought that schools would still consider my 20, someone from usc told me that they would not wait for my september score so I assumed that all schools are like that. I was just wondering which schools you know of will put my app on hold? thanks guys

Plaqueman said:
so im also retaking the dat in september, but i thought that schools would still consider my 20, someone from usc told me that they would not wait for my september score so I assumed that all schools are like that. I was just wondering which schools you know of will put my app on hold? thanks guys

Why in the world would you retake with a 20/20/18 and a 3.5?

OSUDDS said:
Why in the world would you retake with a 20/20/18 and a 3.5?

my top choices are ucla ucsf pacific. even though my numbers are OK, I think I'm still borderline for those schools

I called up Howard, UMDNJ, Maryland - the three of them said that they will review my application with my first DAT score and they will acknowledge that I'm retaking the DAT. So if they decide to grant me an interview before my second DAT, they may do so, or they may decide to wait a bit until I take my second DAT to see...

unfortunately, having already applied so early didn't seem to help that much

well, good luck to all of u :)

^^ In my scenario with Case Western, they have decided to place my application on hold until my second DAT scores are available.

I don't know about other schools.

ArmoredTooth said:
^^ In my scenario with Case Western, they have decided to place my application on hold until my second DAT scores are available.

hmm...this is the email case wrote me...so im confused:

Dear Candidate:

You can fax us a copy of the score report from the re-take in October 2006; our fax number is 216-368-3204. It is not necessary to send us the official score from the first exam.

Sincerely,

David A. Dalsky

ArmoredTooth
I got that same letter from Case Western. :eek: That kind of threw me. I didn't think my scores were great, but atleast comparable to their averages from last years' class. What were your scores if I may ask?

me:
sci 3.33
av 3.55
DAT 17/18 ac/pat

ArmoredTooth said:

I emailed Case. They wrote told me the same thing, and that "it should not put you at a disadvantage, as long as you do better the second time."

Hmm... did that sound like an ultimatum to anyone else here? Coz it kinda did to me! :p