DAT Score, should I retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predental4657

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I took my DAT today and was very discouraged by my score.

I got:
PAT-18
QR-14
RC-19
BIO-19
GC-21
OC-18
TS-19
AA-18

I am currently a dental assistant volunteer (literally, I do everything a dental assistant does and do it for free lol) with over a years worth of documented hours. I have strong letters of rec (I think). I had a 3.3 gpa in college and am currently in a post bacc program where my current gpa is a 3.6 (all science courses). I cannot explain what happened on QR, I'm mortified about it but it is what it is. Do you think I have a shot at dental school? I was really hoping to not retake this thing but know I'm afraid I will have too.

Members don't see this ad.

Not absolutely necessary but something like a 20 or 21 will made your application tremendously better. Don't give the dental schools any reason to overlook your application. That's what I'm getting at. A 14 QR isn't that big of a deal but some schools have cutoffs. You wouldn't want to lose out on an opportunity to apply to those schools just because of one school. Retake DAT in June or early July, kill it, and let the interviews roll in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not absolutely necessary but something like a 20 or 21 will made your application tremendously better. Don't give the dental schools any reason to overlook your application. That's what I'm getting at. A 14 QR isn't that big of a deal but some schools have cutoffs. You wouldn't want to lose out on an opportunity to apply to those schools just because of one school. Retake DAT in June or early July, kill it, and let the interviews roll in.
Thanks for your feedback. I may very well retake it but at this moment I'm just so angry about it that I want to just not look at the DAT ever again.

Thanks for your feedback. I may very well retake it but at this moment I'm just so angry about it that I want to just not look at the DAT ever again.
Do it now while the material is somewhat fresh. You don't want to apply and in the event that you don't get accepted somewhere, you'll have to study for the whole thing again from the beginning 1 year from now.

Absolutely necessary? Please tell me some reasons.

Yes absolutely necessary to retake.

QR is too low (I don't think schools accept a DAT with a 14 on a section).

Also 18 AA is too low to be competitive. You want to score 20 AA+ with no very low individual section scores.

I agree that the 14 in a section is too low but a 20+ is definitely not absolutely necessary to get in, I know people who have gotten in with less. I'm not trying to disagree but I don't think a 18 would turn out to be an absolute rejection no matter what

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The average score to matriculate into dental school is a 19, scores around 20-21 are considered competitive when applying to dental school. So while your score is right around that average score, especially with your GPA, retaking is probably a good idea! Could you get into dental school with your stats and those DAT scores? Probably. Is it worth taking the risk/ wasting the time & money and facing being a re-applicant if you don't get in? Probably not. Focus on prepping & bringing up that QR score & you'll be good to go! Look into all of the prep resources available.

I agree that the 14 in a section is too low but a 20+ is definitely not absolutely necessary to get in, I know people who have gotten in with less. I'm not trying to disagree but I don't think a 18 would turn out to be an absolute rejection no matter what

Very few things are absolute rejections, but it would definitely put an application at a disadvantage.

I also highly recommend retaking. Both your GPA and DAT are below average, and the DAT is something you can easily improve.

A 3.6 in a graduate program run through a med school is below average? I thought average to get into schools was a 3.5

Also, if I retook at the end of June, should I put in my app when the cycle opens and then send my new score when I take it or wait until I have a new score and then send the app in? (I can take the test again June 27th)

A 3.6 in a graduate program run through a med school is below average? I thought average to get into schools was a 3.5

They're going to look at your undergrad GPA as well, unfortunately. It all gets considered as part of the process.

Also, if I retook at the end of June, should I put in my app when the cycle opens and then send my new score when I take it or wait until I have a new score and then send the app in? (I can take the test again June 27th)

I would submit as early as soon as possible so everything is processed and then update the scores when you have the new ones.

yes.

I was telling the OP that he "wants" a 20+ to increase is chances

Retake for sure. The sad thing about "holistic" admissions is that it is a big sham. If your DAT and GPA arent up to par they will throw you out before they see anything else. Its a sad truth.

Retake but make sure you spent a lot more time on content review this time around.
It seams like your foundational knowledge needs work.
May I ask how did you prepare?

Retake but make sure you spent a lot more time on content review this time around.
It seams like your foundational knowledge needs work.
May I ask how did you prepare?

I did all the chads videos and quizzes etc.. for GC OC and math. Went through cliffs notes for bio, used anki notecards, made diagrams/notes I reviewed a lot throughout all of studying. Did dat destroyer 3 times for GC and OC. Did all 5 bootcamp exams and did additional practice on it for random topic in GC OC and bio and practiced PAT. Did 8/10 tests in DATqvault for bio, GC, and OC.

I did all the chads videos and quizzes etc.. for GC OC and math. Went through cliffs notes for bio, used anki notecards, made diagrams/notes I reviewed a lot throughout all of studying. Did dat destroyer 3 times for GC and OC. Did all 5 bootcamp exams and did additional practice on it for random topic in GC OC and bio and practiced PAT. Did 8/10 tests in DATqvault for bio, GC, and OC.

Did you end up postponing the DAT?