DAT Score.. should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predent1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I took the DAT Last year and am contemplating a retake but want to know what other SDNers think.. My scores GPA and Science GPA are as follows.

Academic Average:18
Biology: 18
General Chemistry: 18
Organic Chemistry: 21
Perceptual Ability: 21
Quantitative Reasoning: 17 :(
Reading Comprehension: 18
Survey of the Natural Sciences: 18

CUM GPA: 3.89
SCI GPA: 3.83

I come from a Private University and am planning to take a gap year after I graduate in 2019

The schools that I am planning on applying to are:
LECOM
Loma Linda
Nova Southeastern
University of TN
Meharry

Thank you to anyone who gives input appreciate it tons!

Members don't see this ad.

One thing to consider before applying to Loma Linda is whether or not you are a 7th day Adventist. They either have a strong favoritism for members of their religion or flat out don't consider non-members. Either way, should you be accepted, there is also a strict behavioral code you must agree to uphold while attending d-school there (no drinking, etc.) so contemplate on whether you are OK with living a certain lifestyle outside of school hours as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA looks great so you may be ok with your DAT score. However, if you are going to take a gap year and you are willing to apply yourself, you could retake the DAT.

If you study hard and score well, the schools you would be competitive to be accepted in to might save you hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing to consider before applying to Loma Linda is whether or not you are a 7th day Adventist. They either have a strong favoritism for members of their religion or flat out don't consider non-members.
Not true, I'm not SDA or Christian or Catholic (I believe in a relatively small religion found mostly in Asia), and I was accepted last cycle.

OP, there are two routes you can go-- Either apply this cycle to 10-15 schools with your current DAT score and schedule a retake for summertime (so you won't take a gap year), OR don't apply this cycle, retake the DAT and score the highest possible you can, and apply during your gap year (for the cycle that opens June 2019, entering Fall 2020).
Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users