DAT scores predict performance on NB Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting article.

The relationship of performance on the dental admission test and performance on Part I of the National Board Dental Examinations
Full Article

Abstract

Although many schools use scores on the Dental Admission Test (DAT) to evaluate applicants, the association of these scores with students' performance on Part I of the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) has not been recently evaluated. In this study, the hypothesis that the DAT scores would be a significant predictor of Part I of the NBDE scores was tested. We analyzed by multiple regression the scores on both examinations for the 114 students matriculating in the University of Mississippi School of Dentistry in 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995. The results indicate that DAT reading comprehension was a statistically significant predictor (p value less than or equal to 0.05) of all four subtests of Part I of the NBDE. The DAT biology and organic chemistry scores were statistically significant predictors of NBDE biochemistry-physiology, and the DAT quantitative analysis score was a statistically significant predictor of NBDE dental anatomy and occlusion. DAT perceptual ability and general chemistry were not significant predictors.

Members don't see this ad.

niceteeth said:
This is an interesting article.

The relationship of performance on the dental admission test and performance on Part I of the National Board Dental Examinations
Full Article

Abstract

Although many schools use scores on the Dental Admission Test (DAT) to evaluate applicants, the association of these scores with students' performance on Part I of the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) has not been recently evaluated. In this study, the hypothesis that the DAT scores would be a significant predictor of Part I of the NBDE scores was tested. We analyzed by multiple regression the scores on both examinations for the 114 students matriculating in the University of Mississippi School of Dentistry in 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995. The results indicate that DAT reading comprehension was a statistically significant predictor (p value less than or equal to 0.05) of all four subtests of Part I of the NBDE. The DAT biology and organic chemistry scores were statistically significant predictors of NBDE biochemistry-physiology, and the DAT quantitative analysis score was a statistically significant predictor of NBDE dental anatomy and occlusion. DAT perceptual ability and general chemistry were not significant predictors.

It might be more interesting to compare a schools incoming 1st year DAT score ranking to the school's actual board score rankings and see a correlation.

good article ... although UM only accepts instate residents, so it only pertains to people from the Miss region applying to UMC ... and the majority of those students attend Univ of Miss or Miss State and take AED prep courses for the MCAt or DAT

it is a good study, but i think it only pertains to people who attended school at UMiss or MS State or go to UMC. True, I went to univ of miss, but it's not a universal study.

but it's a good read.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll be the exception to the rule. I made a 23 on the DAT and I could care less what I make on the boards, as long as it's higher than a 76 on every section :D

psiyung said:
I guess I'll be the exception to the rule. I made a 23 on the DAT and I could care less what I make on the boards, as long as it's higher than a 76 on every section :D

Yea, I guess if you are not going to specialize you can cruise through with "C's" or just get passing grades. That may ease the stress of Dental school if you plan to be a GP. I'm sure you heard that the bottom ranked graduate is stilled called "Doctor". I'm sure the classes are still going to be tough, but I suppose you can choose your stress level. I'm not condoning that mentality, i'm just pointing out that the possibility is there. I'm not making any judgement on it. :cool:

Well, I am glad to see that the PAT isn't a predictor :laugh: but more seriously speaking... I would like to see a more detailed study taken on a national level... as I am not from Mississippi. Anyone know of one?