Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
made an 18 academic average, 21 PAT, 22 RCT, 18 QRT, 16 ORG, 17 CHEM, 16 BIO, 16 SCI, 144 total points. I'm happy with them. They're actually better than I expected... What are your thoughts? Thanx.

TexasOMFS

5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Average accepted AA for dental schools is now a 19 AA.
Your sciences are also pretty low, none of them clear 18 (and keep in mind, some schools have minimum DAT cutoffs for each subsection and I dont think any of your science scores will clear the minimums).
It could be a big problem, I would retake. Your PAT, RC, and QR are perfectly fine...they're just not as important as the science sections.
Sorry if I come across as a jerk, I'm just trying to be honest.

azar87

MD 2 Be
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
New York
Status
Medical Student
im sorry to agree with the above poster my friend your scores are on the below average side mind tellin us wat you used you will have to re-take and do btr than that try using kaplan review book and subject tests destroyer and cliffs ap bio and topscore that would be my best advice sorry hope you do btr next time around

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
18 AA with 16 TS..... Me personally, I would retake. But look at the bright side, the most annoying parts of the DAT are the Reading / math / and PAT, and you rocked those. You just need strong studying habbits to sit down and kick the sciences in the @$$, You can easily clear out 20 TS.

Just spend the next 4-6 weeks studying the sciences hard, and you'll have a good shot of getting in

Jun 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Yeah, you are going to need to retake. My scores are exactly the same except 21 on RC. I've talked with a few dental schools and they said the sciences must come up. Try the destroyer, its helped a great deal for me.

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
we took the exam on the same day. if you're going to retake, I'll trade you my PAT, QR, RC scores :D jp. but yeah, your science is on the low side...and those are very important scores. so i would consider a retake.

try Cliff's AP Bio, Peterson's AP Chem, and Schaum's Organic Chemistry guides for content review. And then supplement those with Kaplan Subject Tests and DAT Destroyer (which I personally don't recommend - but it works for others) for practice questions. And if you want a book that brushes the facts (or a book for order and construction of the DAT), get the Kaplan study guide as well - but you do have to note that you need more detail than what is provided in this guide. Anyway,with all these materials, you should see a big jump in your NS scores if you're dedicated.

Oh yeah, to top it off, get TopScore. It's a good predictor of how well you'd on the actual NS section of the DAT.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
took it march 19th, and this was my first time to take it. To those who asked: I used the Destroyers, Barron's,
Kaplan, Topscore Pro by Scholarware, and various internet review sites. those of you that weighed-in to reply, what states are you guys in?