DAT scoring, and Percentiles...How do they work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Rook

Hey All,

I was wondering how the DAT scoring worked.
Is it based on Percentiles? For example, a 97 percentile is 24
Or.....is a score of 24, answering 27 questions correctly out of 30?
Which would mean that somebody how scored 19 with a 93 percentile compared to someone who took the DAT on a different date and scored a 19 and an 80 percentile would be looked at the same by dental schools?
THanks for the input
ROOK

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it's all based on adjusted scales depending on the hardness of the problems...I may be mistaken though. I know that's how Kaplan does it becuase percent correct really doesn't correspond to the correct value.

Hannamsm said:
I believe it's all based on adjusted scales depending on the hardness of the problems...I may be mistaken though. I know that's how Kaplan does it becuase percent correct really doesn't correspond to the correct value.

Interesting...thanks!
Any other thoughts are really appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
food4thots said:
don't worry at the percentile, d.schools don't see them.
That's actually not true. One school said to me they were concerned in one area of mine because I scored in the low 70th percentile.

from what i know.. ADA sends the dental schools the scores only and not the percentiles. unless this has changed.

ASU-devil said:
That's actually not true. One school said to me they were concerned in one area of mine because I scored in the low 70th percentile.

It is possible they took your scaled score, say, 19 on a section and then generically guesstimated that to be low in the low 70's percentile.