DAT second time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliyoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I am taking the DAT again in about 2 months and keep trying to pick up my books but just don't know where to start. I need some advice so I can get going!
I will be starting my last semester next week, so I need a plan to balance both studying and class work.

The first time I took the test I used chads videos, a kaplan course, dat boot camp, and other things but still didn't get the score I needed. I want to improve 3 points and need to know how to do that!
This time I will use all of the those resources I listed earlier, but also DAT Destroyer. Any suggestions what to get started on and what schedule I should be on each day?
I am very committed to studying, I wake up early and work until I'm asleep on the books. It seems I put tons of hours into studying but wasted lots of time trying to figure out a plan.
I struggled most with general chemistry and organic chemistry. I always have had trouble with both of these when I took the classes in college.
I did best on math but that still needs to improve as well.

Please help!!
I am desperate.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! So I am taking the DAT again in about 2 months and keep trying to pick up my books but just don't know where to start. I need some advice so I can get going!
I will be starting my last semester next week, so I need a plan to balance both studying and class work.

The first time I took the test I used chads videos, a kaplan course, dat boot camp, and other things but still didn't get the score I needed. I want to improve 3 points and need to know how to do that!
This time I will use all of the those resources I listed earlier, but also DAT Destroyer. Any suggestions what to get started on and what schedule I should be on each day?
I am very committed to studying, I wake up early and work until I'm asleep on the books. It seems I put tons of hours into studying but wasted lots of time trying to figure out a plan.
I struggled most with general chemistry and organic chemistry. I always have had trouble with both of these when I took the classes in college.

Please help!!
I am desperate.
Thanks.
I literally used the study plan found on the front of the DAT discussion section and modified it based on where my strengths and weaknesses were.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sample-dat-study-schedule.719365/

also, I don't recommend using Kaplan... I found that I didn't learn anything from the KBB. When you did Chads videos, did you use all the quizzes and everything? I found that Chads is more than enough info to cover GC and OC. DAT destroyer is a must!!!! Don't forget to supplement your studies with other activities! I wouldn't recommend just stuDYING in the library all day haha. After studying for 6 hours or so, I would always head to the gym to clear my mind. Good luck!

I literally used the study plan found on the front of the DAT discussion section and modified it based on where my strengths and weaknesses were.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sample-dat-study-schedule.719365/

also, I don't recommend using Kaplan... I found that I didn't learn anything from the KBB. When you did Chads videos, did you use all the quizzes and everything? I found that Chads is more than enough info to cover GC and OC. DAT destroyer is a must!!!! Don't forget to supplement your studies with other activities! I wouldn't recommend just stuDYING in the library all day haha. After studying for 6 hours or so, I would always head to the gym to clear my mind. Good luck!

So should I review the notes and things I did last time? I ordered DAT Destroyer but haven't gotten it yet so isn't that just practice tests?
All the previous tests I took, including the kaplan, should I take them again even though it may not be the best material?
And yes I did the quizzes for chads videos and understood the material right then, but it would never stay with me and I had a lot of videos to watch in a short time so I guess I never really learned it.
Thank you for your advice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So should I review the notes and things I did last time? I ordered DAT Destroyer but haven't gotten it yet so isn't that just practice tests?
All the previous tests I took, including the kaplan, should I take them again even though it may not be the best material?
And yes I did the quizzes for chads videos and understood the material right then, but it would never stay with me and I had a lot of videos to watch in a short time so I guess I never really learned it.
Thank you for your advice!!
DAT destroyer just have loads of practice questions... I wouldn't really call them practice tests, they're more like extremely hard extra practice problems. In other words, they are problems that you probably won't encounter but will help you better understand concepts. For chads, did you rewrite all of his notes into your own style? If not, I would highly recommend that. I don't know what your previous scores were, so I can't really say what you may or may not need to work on.

Please help!!
I am desperate.
Thanks.

What were your scores and what is your science GPA? That will help me in giving your some direction in improving your DAT scores the 2nd time around.

Nancy

No offense but you're like someone who went to a battle without enough ammunition. You definitely need to get the destroyer. Check the various posts on SDN about DAT and math destroyer. As for a study plan do the 2007 ADA free exam to see where you stand.
If you post your scores I'm sure people here will help you on how to study.
Best of luck

Please help!!
I am desperate.
Thanks.

My scores the first time were:
PAT: 18
QR: 19
Reading: 18
Biology: 18
Ochem: 16
Gen chem: 15
AA: 17

Not too proud so I really want to do well this time.

What were your scores and what is your science GPA? That will help me in giving your some direction in improving your DAT scores the 2nd time around.

Nancy

I replied on my original post to show my scores. My science gpa is 3.4

DAT destroyer just have loads of practice questions... I wouldn't really call them practice tests, they're more like extremely hard extra practice problems. In other words, they are problems that you probably won't encounter but will help you better understand concepts. For chads, did you rewrite all of his notes into your own style? If not, I would highly recommend that. I don't know what your previous scores were, so I can't really say what you may or may not need to work on.

I replied to my original post listing the scores I made.
Yes I made a whole notebook of chads videos but I got the subscription too close to when I took the test. So even though I understood at the time and did well on the quizzes, the information didn't stick because I always had to move on to the next in order to try and complete all of the videos.

My scores the first time were:
PAT: 18
QR: 19
Reading: 18
Biology: 18
Ochem: 16
Gen chem: 15
AA: 17

Not too proud so I really want to do well this time.
They aren't super terrible and at least you know where you need to improve!! For chads, I looked over the notes everyday and made sure I understand the lectures from the previous days/weeks/months. Now you have two months to work on it so I think you will do better. Plus adding destroyer should greatly improve your scores in GC and OC

I color-coded the Destroyer problems by concept (acids/bases, titrations, periodic trends, etc). I then did those problems as concept "units," watching the corresponding video from Chad's. This is going to cut down on a lot of grunt work trying to memorize problems, and teach you concepts.