DAT, shadowing, and applying timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehdnwk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do I need to take the DAT before applying? Can I take DAT 1~ month after applying to dental schools? Will it affect anything?

2. Do I need to shadow a dentist before applying? Is it okay to shadow a dentist after applying to dental schools?

I'm asking because I am looking to apply in June/July, but wanting to take the DAT around late July. Also, I do not have shadowing hours yet and I would like to shadow after applying/taking the DAT.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do I need to take the DAT before applying? Can I take DAT 1~ month after applying to dental schools? Will it affect anything?

Nope! You can send in your DAT scores after you send in your application. They won't look at your application until they have them though.

2. Do I need to shadow a dentist before applying? Is it okay to shadow a dentist after applying to dental schools?

Yes. You need to put shadowing hours on your application and you cannot update that kind of thing after you apply. But sure, you can continue to shadow after you apply.

I'm asking because I am looking to apply in June/July, but wanting to take the DAT around late July. Also, I do not have shadowing hours yet and I would like to shadow after applying/taking the DAT.

Response in red.

1. You can wait to take the DAT but make sure you get it done by the end of July so schools won't get the results too late. I applied the first week of August and I don't think that was too late.

2. I really think you need to start shadowing now! Otherwise you'll have nothing to put in your application in June. I don't think you can go back and submit shadowing info in your app after you submit it.