DAT...should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studentofdeen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My test is on September 5th
I am using DAT destroyer,
DATbooster,
DATbootcamp
MATH Destroyer
CHADs

I generally get 20/30 GC and 18/30 and for OC and in 20-25/ out of 40 sets for Biology whenever I do sets in Destroyer.
I took the first test in DATbooster and here are my scores
Bio (16 : 25/40) GC: (18, 21/30) OC: (20 : 24/30) RC (18: 37/50) QR (17 : 25/40)

IS there any advice on what I can do to improve? I need improvement in BIO and QR. Any times please. Especially if I am scoring low on Destroyer. Keep in mind for Biology, it is my first time going through that section.

Members don't see this ad.

You have enough time to improve. Take time to learn from your mistakes and review your practice tests thoroughly. If it makes you feel better I was scoring around the same as you at one point but I was able to work my butt off and improve by the time I took the exam. I ended up scoring a 26AA. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey I recently gave the exam (by recently i mean yesterday) and you have a ton of time to improve. 40 days before my test i hadn't even finished my syllabus for the exam let alone started practise tests (got a 24AA 24TS 23PAT). Relax you got this. Normally DATBootcamp exams are harder than the DAT (I averaged 22's mostly on the 8 i did). I would say definetly focus on your Chemistry, go through the videos again if youre having problems and start memorizing all the formulas and reactions. QR on the other hand is all about knowing what type of question they will ask (Math Destroyer helps a ton ive heard with friends saying most if not all types of questions on their DAT were similar to the ones in MD), I personally couldn't afford anything more then BC so this isnt first hand knowledge but my QR was pretty weak in the exam too (a 22, not the best at Math). I would say if you focus on both Chem and start practising Math (and you have a ton of time too) you got this in the bad. If youre averaging 22's in BC then you should be confident in a >=23 imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Studentofdeed

You have plenty of time to make any weakness a strength, so no need to worry at this time. DAT Destroyer was not designed for using as a timed test, it is for learning. Every problem is a teaching tool, helping you learn the concepts. For the Biology make sure to know the correct choice as well as read all the information in the solutions. Each solution is a mini lecture filled with valuable information.

Don't focus as much on timing and timed tests at this point, you need to build the foundation.

Wishing you the best...#think30...Nancy

Would you recommend going over bio twice in destroyer? If I understand each question and all the answer choices would this help improve my score?
Studentofdeed

You have plenty of time to make any weakness a strength, so no need to worry at this time. DAT Destroyer was not designed for using as a timed test, it is for learning. Every problem is a teaching tool, helping you learn the concepts. For the Biology make sure to know the correct choice as well as read all the information in the solutions. Each solution is a mini lecture filled with valuable information.

Don't focus as much on timing and timed tests at this point, you need to build the foundation.

Wishing you the best...#think30...Nancy

Would you recommend going over bio twice in destroyer? If I understand each question and all the answer choices would this help improve my score?
Yes. Review anything you got wrong and figure out exactly why you got it wrong the first time. You can do very well on the DAT if you truly understand every single question and answer choices. Don't rush through Destroyer. Take your time with each question and mentally walk yourself through it and explain every single answer choice. If you can do this without looking at the solutions, you will be in excellent shape.

Bio is a tough section imo because the huge range of questions possible. I personally used anki to make flash cards of bootcamps notes. It worked well but is time consuming. QR you just have to practice a ton, this was the toughest section for me (I literally got a 15 on one practice test), I ended up getting a 21. I just did all of bootcamps questions 2 times and fully understood the explanations. Also if you don't know how to do a problem on test day, or its taking too long, skip it and come back if you have time. I finished every section with 15 minutes+ to spare but QR i didn't have enough time, aka its a big time crunch.

Yes if you have time to go through it 2 times I would. Every pass through you might pick up a tidbit of information you didn't see before. As you know it only takes a few questions correct to make a big impact on your DAT Score, vice versa if you get a few questions incorrect it can drop your score significantly.

You are definitely going in the right direction, keep going, #think30...Nancy