DAT Study Guides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delsol7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here is my story.

First I bought the Kaplan blue book. Seems bit simple. I ended up taking the Kaplan course. My worst mistake ever! The 3 books they give out, I personally think it didn't help much. Not only that the blue book is exactly same as the "review note" book that Kaplan class give out except that the "rewview note" book has a few more questions on every end of section. Well, this isn't so bad. But the most frustrating part is... they freaking don't update errors. I even called them and let them know what page, what number had such and such error. Never got back to me. This is the best part, one of the full length exam from Kaplan course (cost me $1300!!!!!) is exactly same as one on the blue book!!!! I was very disappointed.

Well, this is not all. Once I finished with Kaplan book, I thought myself that I'd need more practice so I bought Barron's and Cliff's note. OMG. Those books are even worse than Kaplan. Those books had even more errors on the questions and they also don't update!

I felt cheated and went on eBay and bought the DAT test prep thingy called "efficient". hahahaha... I so laught at it. Well, I think the "publisher" is former student of UCLA (he had UCLA email when I communicated with him). A lot of questions were from Kaplan book, exactly word to word copy and they even put a question with error. The way they give out multiple choice questions are the way UCLA professors would ask to students such as "two of the above, all of the above, non of the above". When I took the DAT, there wasn't any queation with such choices.

Now, that I just joined this forum and found out that there are "acheivers" and "dat destroyer" available for further purchase. I went to the dat destroyer site and found out that they sell the book section by section? so if i need all science book thats $150 x 3? or is it $150 includes all exam sections?

My most difficult part of DAT was RC. I had 3 passages with most of question asking for "main idea...?", "referring to...?" and so on. I barely finished 2 passages and last passage I just had to guess all the way. Any suggestions on this section?

Thanks for reading all the way and any advice would help. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

My most difficult part of DAT was RC. I had 3 passages with most of question asking for "main idea...?", "referring to...?" and so on. I barely finished 2 passages and last passage I just had to guess all the way. Any suggestions on this section?

Thanks for reading all the way and any advice would help. :scared:

I'm guessing you're using Kaplan's Map and Attack strategy? If you're like me, then forget it. I spend about 45 sec (if that) scanning the paragraph then I go for the Questions. I finish dead on time. Hope this works for you.

I'm guessing you're using Kaplan's Map and Attack strategy? If you're like me, then forget it. I spend about 45 sec (if that) scanning the paragraph then I go for the Questions. I finish dead on time. Hope this works for you.

So, read questions then go to the passage to scan down. Um.. I will try that!
Thanks~!