DAT Study Material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freaksNgeeks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im studying for the DATs right now and I'm shooting for over 25 on the sciences on DAT, someone told me that if i know everything in the kaplan blue book, i'll be able to do that, just want to get some verification of whether this claim is true or i'll have to do more studying besides the kaplan book.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Im studying for the DATs right now and I'm shooting for over 25 on the sciences on DAT, someone told me that if i know everything in the kaplan blue book, i'll be able to do that, just want to get some verification of whether this claim is true or i'll have to do more studying besides the kaplan book.

Thanks

Most people recommend using kaplan blue book along with other DAT prep materials such as DAT Destroyer, Chads Videos, Cliffsnotes AP Biology, and Barrons AP Biology. Personally I know many people who have just used the kaplan book and haven't done very well on the DAT, since the natural sciences is such a big and broad topic, and I think KBB just doesn't go into enough depth I would suggest to use the materials listed above.

Kaplan blue book is a great study resource when starting out to get the basics for the natural sciences, but relying on it alone is unwise.

Most people recommend using kaplan blue book along with other DAT prep materials such as DAT Destroyer, Chads Videos, Cliffsnotes AP Biology, and Barrons AP Biology.

Kaplan blue book is a great study resource when starting out to get the basics for the natural sciences, but relying on it alone is unwise.

Exactly what he said. Get Destroyer and an AP Biology book is a must since Kaplan really skims on the ecology/botany.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally used KBB, DAT destroyer, ochem book and gchem book as I felt I had a very solid foundation in biology but not so much in chemistry. I ended up with 20 TS and 20 or above on all of the sciences other than ochem. I think KBB was the least important study material I used. I just read it while I was on the treadmill at the gym every day.

I think destroyer was the most help personally. I went through it and every question I got wrong I star'd. I then went back through it and made flashcards for all the questions that I was having trouble with and used those to study with. Helped me a lot with Gchem and I ended up with 95th percentile for it.

Hi,

Thanks

this "someone" never took the DAT.

KBB alone (as in, no other resource) will not get you a 25, not even a 20. You will need more.

Here, check this out:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=808801

this "someone" never took the DAT.

KBB alone (as in, no other resource) will not get you a 25, not even a 20. You will need more.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=808801

Kind of a stretch to say not even a 20 don't you think? My friend studied only the kaplan blue book and made a 22 overall on the sciences. I don't remember the breakdown exactly but nothing was under a 20. Alot of it depends on how much science background you have as well. If you were a biology/biochem/chem major, you should already remember alot of this stuff.

Obvious-Troll-is-Obvious.jpg

-Recently registered poster.
-2 Posts.
-Claims he will get 25's across the board on two posts.
-Claims he has a 2.65 GPA.
-Claims Kaplan Blue Book will get him 25's.

All claims spell "outrageous."
:troll:

Kind of a stretch to say not even a 20 don't you think? My friend studied only the kaplan blue book and made a 22 overall on the sciences. I don't remember the breakdown exactly but nothing was under a 20. Alot of it depends on how much science background you have as well. If you were a biology/biochem/chem major, you should already remember alot of this stuff.

nope... I was dead serious with my claim. Maybe your friend is one and only, or maybe he lied to you... but KBB has very weak biology, good Orgo and GC (but not enough practice problems to apply knowledge).... and don't even get me started on PAT and QR.

Don't get me wrong, its a good resource, but not when its used alone.

nope... I was dead serious with my claim. Maybe your friend is one and only, or maybe he lied to you... but KBB has very weak biology, good Orgo and GC (but not enough practice problems to apply knowledge).... and don't even get me started on PAT and QR.

Don't get me wrong, its a good resource, but not when its used alone.

Agreed, I used kbb only(read the sciences 3+ times) but suplemented it with my upper level under grad texts books for extra details. That worked for me, but 25s. Not likely.

I'm not claiming anything, I'm simply trying to get as much feedback as I can to help me get a good DAT score. I never said im def going to get 25's, tho i dont think its wrong to aim high. I mightve been lazy my first two years of college but im tryin to get my life on track now. Im sure there are other people who's in my boat and try to get help from SDN network. No need to be a troll. I thank everyone who responded with the intention to help and I appreciate all your inputs! I have purchased destroyer, crack dat and achiever. I'm thinking about topscore, if there are anyone who's done topscore, let me know what u think!

I'm not claiming anything, I'm simply trying to get as much feedback as I can to help me get a good DAT score. I never said im def going to get 25's, tho i dont think its wrong to aim high. I mightve been lazy my first two years of college but im tryin to get my life on track now. Im sure there are other people who's in my boat and try to get help from SDN network. No need to be a troll. I thank everyone who responded with the intention to help and I appreciate all your inputs! I have purchased destroyer, crack dat and achiever. I'm thinking about topscore, if there are anyone who's done topscore, let me know what u think!

I did use top score for the extra practice questions but not as a study tool. Infact, I took a topscore exam after each time I read the kbb. I didnt rely on topscores explainations of answers instead I went back to my text books. For the price and extra test prep it was worth it.

Good luck.

The Examkrackers books for MCAT gen chem and orgo were very helpful for me for DAT studying. They have tons of questions (1001 per book) broken down by topic, so you can focus on your problem areas. Though, be warned, there are a few mistakes in the answer keys.