DAT study materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufcfanatic1997

Reaction score
Hello. I am 2 years removed from college and just started studying for the DATs.

I plan on taking the DATs in the end of May and applying next cycle. I work 3 days out of the week (12 hour shifts). Those 3 days I just pretty much work and sleep. Luckily, I have the other 4 days to just hit the gym and study (about 6-8 hours a day).

Right now I've just been using Chads videos for reviewing gen chem material. However, what are all the materials that helped you guys study for the DATs? It would be best if someone can just list out a complete set of things I should be using to study for the DATs

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am 2 years removed from college and just started studying for the DATs.

I plan on taking the DATs in the end of May and applying next cycle. I work 3 days out of the week (12 hour shifts). Those 3 days I just pretty much work and sleep. Luckily, I have the other 4 days to just hit the gym and study (about 6-8 hours a day).

Right now I've just been using Chads videos for reviewing gen chem material. However, what are all the materials that helped you guys study for the DATs? It would be best if someone can just list out a complete set of things I should be using to study for the DATs
Like yourself, I went through Chads videos first to review both chemistries. I used DATbootcamp bio notes along with Dr. Romano's Dynamite Notes to review the bio portion. Next, I went through the science sections in DAT destroyer twice. I then went through all DATbootcamp practice tests and finished with DATbooster's practice tests.

I highly recommend looking through some of the breakdowns on SDN from the last couple of years, because they really helped me plan how I was going to study when I went to take the exam.

That being said (and I go into more detail in my breakdown, which I don't think is too dated), I tried to save money where I could and maximized my resources. I used the DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Dynamite Bio Review (free), PAT Booster, and the Destroyer Facebook group (also free) for my studying, along with referencing some of my older college notes. These resources were more than sufficient for me, and I went through them (at least the ones that it was possible to) multiple times to get the maximum amount out.

The DAT really comes down to knowing as much as you can at the basic, conceptual level. If you can do that, you should be able to do well on the exam, and the resources I used really set me up for that. Like I said, read some recent breakdowns on SDN to see what people are using with success. Mine is in my signature, as are many others'.

Best of luck! Keep us all updated on how your studying process and exam go! You've got plenty of time to do really well.

Like yourself, I went through Chads videos first to review both chemistries. I used DATbootcamp bio notes along with Dr. Romano's Dynamite Notes to review the bio portion. Next, I went through the science sections in DAT destroyer twice. I then went through all DATbootcamp practice tests and finished with DATbooster's practice tests.

Is it necessary to watch both Chads and Mikes vids? Will one prep me for the material better than the other? I was watching Chads vids and switched over to Mikes just because the vids are more organized and easier to follow, but then again I would much rather watch the videos that cover more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend looking through some of the breakdowns on SDN from the last couple of years, because they really helped me plan how I was going to study when I went to take the exam.

That being said (and I go into more detail in my breakdown, which I don't think is too dated), I tried to save money where I could and maximized my resources. I used the DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Dynamite Bio Review (free), PAT Booster, and the Destroyer Facebook group (also free) for my studying, along with referencing some of my older college notes. These resources were more than sufficient for me, and I went through them (at least the ones that it was possible to) multiple times to get the maximum amount out.

The DAT really comes down to knowing as much as you can at the basic, conceptual level. If you can do that, you should be able to do well on the exam, and the resources I used really set me up for that. Like I said, read some recent breakdowns on SDN to see what people are using with success. Mine is in my signature, as are many others'.

Best of luck! Keep us all updated on how your studying process and exam go! You've got plenty of time to do really well.

How long did you study? Also, as for the last portion of your answer, is the DATs more memorization heavy? Meaning, I spoke to my sister who took the MCATs and she emphasized taking practice tests after practice tests and not focusing "too much" on the concepts. But from my little research it seems like with the DATs its not that great of an emphasis on taking practice tests and much more emphasis on knowing the material. Is my assessment correct?

How long did you study? Also, as for the last portion of your answer, is the DATs more memorization heavy? Meaning, I spoke to my sister who took the MCATs and she emphasized taking practice tests after practice tests and not focusing "too much" on the concepts. But from my little research it seems like with the DATs its not that great of an emphasis on taking practice tests and much more emphasis on knowing the material. Is my assessment correct?

I studied the hardest for the three weeks leading up to my exam (took off from work and everything), but for the months ahead I was lightly studying throughout. That technique really worked for me, but it might not for others so try out what you think is best. I went into a bit more detail about what I did in my breakdown.

I think your assessment is absolutely correct. Far more comprehension questions on the DAT than on the MCAT, by comparison. The DAT is far less critically thinking oriented, so you really need to know your stuff. It will definitely help to be able to think critically of course, but the MCAT focuses a ton more on that. If you know the concepts for the DAT, you'll be set. No practice tests really required. Can't say the same for the MCAT.

Hi there! I took the DAT in late August, and I just used Bootcamp, nothing else. If you want to see my scores please feel free to PM me! I followed Ari's schedule, but I stretched it out over three ish months. I do NOT recommend doing this haha- by the end I was kicking myself for not scheduling it sooner, I was so sick of studying. The experience might be a little different for you, though, since you're working full time. I ended up studying from about when I woke up to when I went to bed, but I took breaks to exercise, eat, talk to my friends, and do other things I enjoyed almost every day. I definitely didn't have a set schedule, but I'd say the time I spent actually studying ranged from 5-10 hours a day, averaging roughly 7-8. I took a day off pretty much every week, and I took a week off somewhere in the middle of the schedule. The only reason my schedule looked like that was because I was studying when we were still in lockdown, and sadly my program for the summer was canceled :(

For biology, I used Bootcamp's bio academy when I felt iffy about a concept (which ended up being for most of it tbh) and the condensed notes here and there. I highly recommend using Anki for biology. I struggle with reading comprehension when it comes to textbooks, and forcing myself to consolidate what I was reading into flashcards prevented me from mindlessly reading and scribbling notes (though maybe I'm the only one here who struggles with that :p). I also went through the biology question banks multiple times, and I found them incredibly helpful!!

For chemistry I just watched Mike's videos and did the questions at the end of Bootcamp multiple times over, focusing on my weaknesses. I don't remember seeing anything on my DAT that he didn't cover.

The bootcamp tests were much harder than the actual DAT. I consistently scored ~3 points lower, give or take a point, on my bootcamp tests. This seems to be a controversial opinion, but I think practice exams were the reason I did so well! Not just taking them, but going over them in detail, both the questions I missed and the ones I didn't. This was helpful for pinpointing and working through the gaps in my knowledge. Another controversial opinion: I think less is more. Having just one set of high quality resources and a clear schedule that outlined what I needed to study and when made the whole experience less daunting. Also, while I'm sure it's helpful for lots of people, looking at DAT threads on SDN just stressed me out. I ended up wasting time worrying that my resources weren't good enough + money on resources I never ended up using, and I think I'd have been better off just trusting Bootcamp. (no this is not sponsored :3)

Best of luck, and please PM me if you have any questions!!

Is it necessary to watch both Chads and Mikes vids? Will one prep me for the material better than the other? I was watching Chads vids and switched over to Mikes just because the vids are more organized and easier to follow, but then again I would much rather watch the videos that cover more.
I don't think it would be necessary. I watched Chad's initially and once I had gone through destroyer I realized I hadn't fully committed certain equations or relations. This is where I would utilize Mike's videos to sort of fill in or allow me to be presented the information in a different manner. Mike uses very basic terminology that honestly really helped me for the info I had to strictly memorize without much extra thought. I would definitely say to watch ALL of Chad's videos because he knows how to teach, such that he makes the more difficult conceptual stuff understandable.