DAT studying breakdown 22AA/26PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

columbia1314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have a huge science background as I am a Latin major. However I did complete all of my pre-reqs before taking the DAT (except my school only offers 1 semester of gen chem). I have an art/art history background so I think that gave me an advantage in studying for the PAT.

Bio: 21
Orgo: 22
Gen Chem:19

QR: 21
RC: 26

PAT: 26
TS: 20
AA: 22

I work part-time so I was not able to study 12 hrs/day like some folks here. I "started" studying around June 1 but didn't really crack down until mid-June. I took the test July 28. I probably averaged 6 hours a day for 6 wks.

First 3 weeks: watching all of Chad's chem videos, reading the bio and QR sections of the Kaplan book.

Second 3 weeks: took one "full test" on DAT bootcamp about every 4 days, then went through and corrected all mistakes. Spent hours doing DAT bootcamp PAT stuff until I was getting ~90% accuracy in the generators. Re-read through the whole bio section of the Kaplan DAT book 3 days before taking the test. Reviewed Chad's videos for specific things that were tripping me up.

Chad's Videos/Kaplan: Chad's videos were incredibly helpful. I read through the Kaplan biology section of the DAT book three times over the course of my studying and watched a couple of Chad's videos for that, but his videos are incomplete for the DAT so I would definitely not rely solely on them. I did the whole QR section from the Kaplan book. I thought Chad's videos and Kaplan worked well together they each compensated for the other's flaws.

DAT Bootcamp: This is an amazing program. It definitely helped me finesse my science and math scores. After each test, I wrote down all the answers I got wrong so I could see what I was messing up the most. I then went and reviewed Chad's videos or my Kaplan book for more information. I probably watched Chad's acid/base videos 15 times. DAT bootcamp was also really good at helping me learn how to do a lot of math very quickly. The one thing I did not feel prepared for math-wise was secant/cosecant, etc functions but I don't think it hurt me too much overall. DAT bootcamp was the only thing I used for RC.

PAT: DAT bootcamp was incredible for the PAT. I took breaks from my studying by doing PAT stuff in DAT bootcamp. I thought the angle ranking generator was more similar to the DAT than the actual DAT bootcamp PAT tests, as I could consistently get 45/50 on the generator but often got only 5/15 on the practice tests. The top-front-end generator was also really helpful as it gives you a 3D image of the 2D image you're supposed to be visualizing. Chad has some angle-ranking stuff but his was incredibly hard and stressed me out so I didn't spend much time with his program.

When I was studying with DAT bootcamp, I took all the tests in order to simulate the real DAT. The only problem with this is that the timing gets screwy with the sciences since each one is 30 min individually so you have to finish one test before moving onto the other, whereas in the real DAT you can skip around all three sections for 90 min. I was scoring around a 19-20 on all the sections when I was taking DAT bootcamp, except I was consistently getting 21's in GC so I was very surprised to see that was my lowest score on the real DAT.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Note: I was paying for all my studying materials so I tried to minimize expenses while maximizing output. My total expenses came to around $250: $117 DAT bootcamp, $30 Kaplan book (off Amazon), ~$100 for Chad's videos. I definitely think I got my money's worth!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice scores! Can you post your bc scores?
Thanks! I don't remember off the top of my head what exactly my DAT bootcamp scores were as bootcamp doesn't save your scores, but I can say that up until the last test, I was probably getting around a 17/18 on all the science sections, 18 on QR, and 19s on RC and PAT. When I took the final DAT bootcamp test, I got 20s in every section, as well as a 21 in GC. I also retook all the science tests the week before the DAT so that I could see if I was actually retaining information. My scores for the retakes were in the mid 20's.

Nope! Just DAT bootcamp, Chad's videos, and the Kaplan DAT book. The Kaplan book comes with two practice DATs that are nice because they have the same format as the real DAT. I wouldn't spend the cash on the whole Kaplan package though.

I see. Well congratulations on the great score!! You should be proud :)

Wow great scores! I took mine couple of days ago and did pretty well without doing Destroyer for CHEM/OCHEM. I thought I was the only one who was fine without it..... haha!