DAT studying during school time?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tms86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am re-taking my DAT oct. 4th but i am already stressing out because it is my senior year i am taking bio chem, physics and upper level bio courses. I studied A LOT before the first time i took dat and started reviewing again the past week- i read 14 of 16 chapters of bio in big kaplan book- should finish tomorrow. its all review for me now and learning small details i missed first time around. im re-watching chads videos and if i stay on schedule i should be done with that by next week. then i plan on doing DAT destroyer for gc and oc and review cliffs/notecards and DATqvault for bio. i also have crack PAT and RC. I feel like i have a lot planned but i am scared i wont have enough time to accomplish everything-i spend at least 4-6 hrs a day studying for dat now and i dont mind it at all but im so scared i wont have this time once classes start and i have other exams/labs etc.

i want to know how people managed their time studying for dat AND doing well in their courses, i really dont want to stress :-/

Members don't see this ad.

ahhh. are you applying for the 2013 cycle??

i am going to be taking my DATs during or after my senior year too!

i am sure you will be able to handle it as long as you keep a track of where your time goes.

best of luck :)

yes me too... been worried about this a lot. i'll have to juggle physics immuno, + other upper level bio courses... and research. i'm scared it's too much to handle! this will be the first time i'm taking the DAT and i'll be applying in the 2013 cycle. how do people do it?!

If you put yourself on autopilot in the next few months you can definitely be very successful. Studyhacks writes about this (Can't find the exact article but google study hacks and you can find it). Just set a designated time to study for each of your classes and your DAT and stick to that schedule. Make sure your body and mind know what they should be doing at all times and you can do it!!!!
Good luck!!! Anything is possible if you have the right mind set and put in the work.

i am re-taking my DAT oct. 4th but i am already stressing out because it is my senior year i am taking bio chem, physics and upper level bio courses. I studied A LOT before the first time i took dat and started reviewing again the past week- i read 14 of 16 chapters of bio in big kaplan book- should finish tomorrow. its all review for me now and learning small details i missed first time around. im re-watching chads videos and if i stay on schedule i should be done with that by next week. then i plan on doing DAT destroyer for gc and oc and review cliffs/notecards and DATqvault for bio. i also have crack PAT and RC. I feel like i have a lot planned but i am scared i wont have enough time to accomplish everything-i spend at least 4-6 hrs a day studying for dat now and i dont mind it at all but im so scared i wont have this time once classes start and i have other exams/labs etc.

i want to know how people managed their time studying for dat AND doing well in their courses, i really dont want to stress :-/

I just took my DAT yesterday. I also carried 7 hours over the summer. Genetics, field botany and cell bio lab. While the botany and cell classes weren't difficult, genetics was second session and concluded a week before my DAT.

Needless to say, I was stressed. I managed an A in all my classes. That was my priority as the transcript sticks with you, where as the DAT you can only improve on IF you do poorly.

I ended up getting a 21AA and 22PAT.

Its doable, but you won't have much of a life. I made sure I took care of my classes, then I studied for the DAT systematically approaching each subject. Once I studied a subject for 3 or 4 days, I rotated to another subject. I kept doing this for the summer. As well as studied on weekends.

As I said, not much of a life, but it was worth it.