DAT studying question? Advise Tips? Suggestion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My exam is August 1st. I've been studying since May. I've been studying through, Destroyer + Bootcamp. My question, is how reliable is Bootcamp for scores? I haven't taken a full practice exam. I am asking because I started bootcamp without reviewing anything at all, it was back in May, and I was scoring 17 in BIO,16 in GC, OC. I decided to start reviewing my Campbell book, plus I just finished a Physiology class, I also took Microbiology, & Molecular biology. I was so scare of taking practice exams again, even though I've been studying for a while, and I've been scoring 20 in GC, 19OG, and 21 in BIO.... PAT & QR are a problem though, I tend to 1) I don't see it. I haven't been able to go above 15 (I haven't been practicing much, it's so frustrating I just cannot see what is going on. I get 15/15 in hole punching though, but I heard that's the easiest in Bootcamp so figure, I am f***), I have the Crack the PAT as well, but again same story.

The QR section, it's another issue. I did bootcamp, and nothing, very ugly, 15. So, I went and bought a ton of Clift Math tiny books, and a full book of word problems. I've been doing those. Now finally, I was able to go through the QR section in destroyer, and there are just a few questions that I don't understand.

I haven't finished with Destroyer, (I still have at least 200 questions in each section to finish. The thing is that I finished the General Chemistry book from Orgoman because when I started studying I could not do not even 1 problem for GC. I also almost finished Oddissey, so that's why it has taken so long.

So my main question after all of this, I need to increase my speed of studying, I've just don't know how. I am freaking out with the PAT because I don't want to retake this exam. What should I do? Stop studying the other sections, and just do PAT the next couple weeks? How reliable is Bootcamp for scores? I haven't done all of their practice tests. I am so scare of after all this studying getting a 17. I am trying to focus in content, rather than scores right now. I think that even if I get 30's in Bootcamp they mean nothing if I don't have extra knowledge.

What you guys suggest? I am applying this cycle. I am yet to submit my application, I am just not going to pay and then get a 17. :(

PS: the thing with PAT is that I was doing practice before starting to study, and because I could not understand it would take me 4 hrs to either review, or panic, or go over the internet trying to figure it out. Bottom line I would not study at ALL... Should I reconsider dental school? I am so depressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
definitely do not stop studying everything to focus on pat only; however, you need to make an effort to devote time to your weaknesses. look up videos online relating to pat techniques as there are plenty - you can improve! you just need to practice the techniques that sound like they would help you. with qr, consistent practice is key for most people. As far as the sciences go, i recommend reviewing the entire topic of whatever questions you get wrong (via your notes / feralis / chads / mikes).

how have your reading scores been by the way?

definitely do not stop studying everything to focus on pat only; however, you need to make an effort to devote time to your weaknesses. look up videos online relating to pat techniques as there are plenty - you can improve! you just need to practice the techniques that sound like they would help you. with qr, consistent practice is key for most people. As far as the sciences go, i recommend reviewing the entire topic of whatever questions you get wrong (via your notes / feralis / chads / mikes).

how have your reading scores been by the way?

Oh those, I haven't done a reading practice. I took the GRE a few years back. I honestly, I am dreading of taking a reading score, English is my 2nd language, and getting a low score will freak me out, :( I'll take one next week. Thanks for replying. I trying to keep myself motivate to study. I just get the "what's the point? if I'll fail PAT" Tomorrow my fiancé will study the PAT, and he'll attempt to explain it, let's hope he succeed.

well, i just posted my breakdown on the most recent DAT so feel free to check it out. PAT is easier on the real DAT so that is a good news to you i guess. For math, I was on the same boat as you but you really need to spend like 3 days completely focused on math alone. memorize the equation by doing practice problems and not just memorizing it. If you really focused on those 3 days. you ll see actual improvement :) I did it and so can you

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i just posted my breakdown on the most recent DAT so feel free to check it out. PAT is easier on the real DAT so that is a good news to you i guess. For math, I was on the same boat as you but you really need to spend like 3 days completely focused on math alone. memorize the equation by doing practice problems and not just memorizing it. If you really focused on those 3 days. you ll see actual improvement :) I did it and so can you

Hi thanks, I did that today. It was amazing, I am going to do that tomorrow too. Just math! I'll check your scores.

Take HUGE advantage of all the generators BC has to offer, they are the best practice you can do for the PAT. The general suggestion is to work with each ~20-30* min a day everyday and it will start to click. Hole punching and cube counting are easy points (how are you doing on the latter?)
For QR, do you have math destroyer ? Work through the tests first untimed, see what you're missing, and if you have time then redo them all timed.

I worked on Destroyer, and I was okay, like missing a few questions, and now going over it again. I feel fine, but the Bootcamp kills me. It takes me so long to work 1 problem :(.

Take HUGE advantage of all the generators BC has to offer, they are the best practice you can do for the PAT. The general suggestion is to work with each ~20-30* min a day everyday and it will start to click. Hole punching and cube counting are easy points (how are you doing on the latter?)
For QR, do you have math destroyer ? Work through the tests first untimed, see what you're missing, and if you have time then redo them all timed.
Hi, I do those. The keyhole is so easy. I get 100% all the time, but then I go to the real thing and bang, wrong every single time. The thing is that while in the exam, I am like, E is wrong, I know it's wrong, but I keep 2nd guessing myself, and guess what, I end picking up E, which is the wrong answer. :(

Hi, I do those. The keyhole is so easy. I get 100% all the time, but then I go to the real thing and bang, wrong every single time. The thing is that while in the exam, I am like, E is wrong, I know it's wrong, but I keep 2nd guessing myself, and guess what, I end picking up E, which is the wrong answer. :(
as SOON as you decide a choice is wrong, cross it off by right clicking on the answer choice. that will do wonders for preventing you from second guessing

Hi,
My exam is August 1st. I've been studying since May. I've been studying through, Destroyer + Bootcamp. My question, is how reliable is Bootcamp for scores? I haven't taken a full practice exam. I am asking because I started bootcamp without reviewing anything at all, it was back in May, and I was scoring 17 in BIO,16 in GC, OC. I decided to start reviewing my Campbell book, plus I just finished a Physiology class, I also took Microbiology, & Molecular biology. I was so scare of taking practice exams again, even though I've been studying for a while, and I've been scoring 20 in GC, 19OG, and 21 in BIO.... PAT & QR are a problem though, I tend to 1) I don't see it. I haven't been able to go above 15 (I haven't been practicing much, it's so frustrating I just cannot see what is going on. I get 15/15 in hole punching though, but I heard that's the easiest in Bootcamp so figure, I am f***), I have the Crack the PAT as well, but again same story.

The QR section, it's another issue. I did bootcamp, and nothing, very ugly, 15. So, I went and bought a ton of Clift Math tiny books, and a full book of word problems. I've been doing those. Now finally, I was able to go through the QR section in destroyer, and there are just a few questions that I don't understand.

I haven't finished with Destroyer, (I still have at least 200 questions in each section to finish. The thing is that I finished the General Chemistry book from Orgoman because when I started studying I could not do not even 1 problem for GC. I also almost finished Oddissey, so that's why it has taken so long.

So my main question after all of this, I need to increase my speed of studying, I've just don't know how. I am freaking out with the PAT because I don't want to retake this exam. What should I do? Stop studying the other sections, and just do PAT the next couple weeks? How reliable is Bootcamp for scores? I haven't done all of their practice tests. I am so scare of after all this studying getting a 17. I am trying to focus in content, rather than scores right now. I think that even if I get 30's in Bootcamp they mean nothing if I don't have extra knowledge.

What you guys suggest? I am applying this cycle. I am yeaht to submit my application, I am just not going to pay and then get a 17. :(

PS: the thing with PAT is that I was doing practice before starting to study, and because I could not understand it would take me 4 hrs to either review, or panic, or go over the internet trying to figure it out. Bottom line I would not study at ALL... Should I reconsider dental school? I am so depressed.
You have a good amount of time to really master the DAT before your exam! Study six hours per day. And do that fun PAT game on Bootcamp everyday before beginning practicing for this section. This section sucks at first, but you'll grow to love it. I sure did! And definitely DO NOT neglect the other subjects. The problem with the material on the DAT is that it's easily forgettable. So not hitting on those topics everyday is detrimental. Just my tip! Took the DAT today! :) You'll do great!

You have a good amount of time to really master the DAT before your exam! Study six hours per day. And do that fun PAT game on Bootcamp everyday before beginning practicing for this section. This section sucks at first, but you'll grow to love it. I sure did! And definitely DO NOT neglect the other subjects. The problem with the material on the DAT is that it's easily forgettable. So not hitting on those topics everyday is detrimental. Just my tip! Took the DAT today! :) You'll do great!

Thanks! I'll keep studying! I'll let you know if all end wells. I just want to be done. The good thing I still have 3 weeks, not time to waste now. Thanks!!