*****DAT Studying Strategy*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pasionatdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to SDN, and it is great to be here. I am planning to take my DAT in the middle of August, and I need everyone's honest suggestions and tips. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to everyone who is taking it in the summer!!!!

1. What subject to start with?
2. What books to purchase?
3. How many hours a day?

Any suggestion regarding DAT could turn out to be a golden suggestion. So I would greatly appriciate everyone's time and honest suggestion

Good luck on your finals and as well as on your DAT :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

1. Doesn't matter, but if I have to pick I'd say biology (b/c it's the longest).
2. Used Kaplan materials
3. 6 hrs/day (5 days/week, for 2 months)

Well I haven't taken the DAT yet, and haven't taken any practice exams to gauge where I'm at, but heres my plan. Hopefully someone who has taken it will be able to critique it and give me more tips and suggestions.

1. I'm gonna concentrate on the three science courses throughout the week. So for example, Biology - Monday, G-Chem - Tuesday, O-Chem - Wednesday, etc. Then towards the end of each day I will do PAT/QR - Monday, RC - Tuesday, PAT/QR - Wednesday, etc.

2. I'll start with (already have) Kaplan Blue Book. Then use Cliff's AP Bio for Biology. DAT Destroyer for G-Chem and O-Chem. Crack DAT PAT/Math. And use Acheiver and possibly Topscore in between all this to gauge my progress.

3. I'm planning to start studying as soon as school gets out (Middle of June). Then I'll study all the way to when I take the DAT (? Middle of August? ) So that will be a total of 2 months. My plan is to start with 8 hours per day, 5 days per week for the first month. Then during to second month up it to 6 days per week. And during the final 2 weeks up it to 10 hours per day.

Hopefully all this will be the perfect combination for a sweet score. Again, any critiquing is welcome since this is just my "plan."

Heatwheat, that sounds like a plan for success. You should be in excellent shape by test time. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heatwheat, if im being honest that sounds really ambitious, I know I told myself I was going to study 6 hrs/day and let me tell you it is a lot harder to say than do, however I was studying during school, so if it is the only thing you have to do then I think youll do very well if you can stick to that study regime.

Thanks Sbsou. I know it's gonna be tough, but thats the only thing I'll be doing. That should take some stress off me but still, I understand it will be a lot. What about study wise? Anyone else have any tips or suggestions?

1. What subject to start with?
BIO and QC. BIO has a lot of details which you need to memorize and make connections between them to form a big picture. QC is generally harder than most study aids out there now. You need to practice on that continuously.

2. What books to purchase?
I used Kaplan, Schaum's bio and destroyer. Definitely use wikipedia whenever you hit any words or concepts which you don't understand.

3. How many hours a day?
5 to 6 hours a day, almost everday each week (maybe except for fri/sat nights) for 2 to 3 months. Most importantly, you need to be very focused. I wasn't, so it took me longer than expected to prepare for the test.

I used TopScore and felt that it was pretty accurate as far as simulating the real test. You basically get three practice tests (along with some study guide info). Went through the first one untimed and looked up answers where I was stuck. Second time through I did it untimed without looking up the answers. Final practice test I used the actual, timed DAT conditions. I felt that prepared me pretty well in addition to hitting the books.

Thanks for the great tips. Also I just bought the Crack the DAT PAT & Math for $250!!!! I am planning to buy topscore and DAT DESTROYER as well. I almost have 3 months to study. I am planning to study at least 6 hrs a day. Wil I be able to finish all of the above DAT supplement in 3 months???
Is the Crack the DAT Math enough for math?

Thank u.:D

Kaplan bluebook for the general outline, any textbooks for the subjects, and any practice test you can get your hands on (Kaplan old and new, Topscore, etc.)!! I think practice tests are the key, as actually taking the test is half the battle.

Someone PMed me for advice, and this was my response:

If you've just finished up gen-chem and o-chem, it will all be fresh in your mind, which is perfect. I would also think your background will give you an advantage on the PAT and QR sections: your CAD and drafting classes will have prepared you for a lot of what the PAT is, and no matter what you've done you will have more experience dealing with mathematical problems than most of our pre-dent classmates.

As for a study schedule, here's what I did May-July (in a similar situation as you, taking summer courses): Morning classes, afternoon study outside at school or in the library. I was usually home by 4-5 to eat dinner with my family and go to the YMCA and stuff. Maybe twice a week I'd go back to the library to study until 9-10. I think it's good to have a fairly regular schedule and to study at school to avoid distractions.

What I studied: well, lots of o-chem because I was taking those courses! For this, I just used a text book, the study guide book that accompanied it (explained answers, etc), lots of flashcards, and internet resources to help explain things in a different way. Gen-chem I just used my old text book and the internet again. Biology is used Campbell's "Biology" text: it is very thorough, covering all basic bio as well as any physiology or anatomy that might show up on the DAT (technically should have been cover in pre-req. bio courses).

When I worked out of text books, I not only read and re-read the material, I also did as many practice problems as I could stand. None of the super-challenging ones, just the basic questions you might be assigned in a class. This helped a lot, I think, especially for the bio section. Don't get too caught up in calculation-type problems for Gen-chem: this section focused more on concepts, with any calculation problem being simple as long as you knew the concept. Don't skip formulas, though! Really now why they are what they are. O-chem was straight-up flashcards along with some internet pratice for NMR & IR stuff.

I didn't do much else for my PAT study than take practice tests. I had the one on the ADA website, the 3 Topscore test, and a couple from a few different editions of the Kaplan book. The key was to do each test multiple times like it was a real test, then go back and study what I got wrong. And, each time I took the test, I forced myself to rationalize why I was choosing that answer (even though I had memorized it after about the 3rd time or so).

Actually, I used this practice test method for all of the sections. I was constantly taking section tests (usually PAT or the whole science section), studying the concepts and problems I missed, then retaking the tests. Before I would start re-using and studying a test, though, I would take the full-length practice test. This means I took about 4-5 full-length practice tests before I took the actually DAT. Don't get too hung up on those scores; just realize how you are taking the test, as your test-taking skills (time management, efficient reading, etc.) are a big part of taking this thing.

Anyway, I gave the QR and RC sections the least attention and don't really have many tips here. I think if you approach QR like o-chem kind of you should be good. There seem to be a set number of "problem types," if you memorize the way to solve these problem types you should be prepared for whatever permutation of that problem they can throw at you. You can probably just use the internet to study this stuff along with your practice tests. I don't think Kaplan or the above mentioned practice tests are enough, though. Use the internet.
RC is what it is: just don't blow it off because English is your 1st language. Maybe some LSAT books might be good to use...

Well, I hope this helps some. I might actually repost this email on the forum so others can read it. Good luck!

Wow small, those are some pretty sweet scores. So are you saying you didn't use any other study books besides your text books?