DAT summary: 3/22/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redchesus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I really want to thank SDN over these past few months for helping me out, not only with answering specific questions but just sharing experiences and giving general guidance. Now I'm much more knowledgeable about the whole process and I hope to be able to help others out in the future.

Here are the stats:
PAT - 22 (93.8)

The main problems I had were angles, and I never really got better. I practiced other sections to balance it out. I recommend using the "grid" method for paper folding (EDIT: I meant hole punching not pattern folding, I'm so sorry!!!), I scored 15/15 every time when I started using it.
EDIT: The actual pattern folding is slightly easier than CDP and definitely better drawn than Achiever's
Practice material: I used 5 CDP tests, my first CDP test was a 19 progressed all the way up to a 23 on the last one.

QR - 19 (92.9)

The calculator really helped, it made some of the problems straight-up plug and chug. Still, I ran out of time with like 3 problems left. I can't imagine what it would have been like without a calculator (I don't know why they don't give you an hour... I could have figured the rest of those out). Some random statistics question surprised me so I had to guess. I was expecting more probability, I got one really easy one.
Practice material: Math destroyer (separate from the math section in the back of the Destroyer book)

RC - 23 (96.1)

I got lucky I think. No piano passage. All were science-related. One of them was about gene therapy and I'm a biochemistry major so half of the questions had really obvious answers to me. I didn't do S&D. Somehow I ended up with 10 minutes leftover to go over all 50 questions.
Practice material: Achiever when I did the full-length practices

Bio - 21 (95.5)

Most are common questions, but there were a couple really random ones. Funny, I had no background in ecology and such, just molecular bio, and the first question was a limnology question... I was like F***! So yeah, try to cover as much as you can but you'll probably still see random stuff.
Practice material: Cliff's AP bio, Kaplan BB, Wikipedia

GC - 29 (99.9)

I was am undergraduate Gen Chem TA last year, I basically had to re-teach myself all of it in order to teach freshmen... so I don't have a practice material suggestions, sorry, I briefly looked at the Kaplan BB and it looks pretty good at covering everything

OC - 28 (99.5)

the OC on the DAT is really basic, like half of it was covered in the Gen Chem course I taught. I thought it was going to be hell... maybe that's 'cause I used Destroyer
Practice material: Destroyer, Chad's video about spectroscopy

TS/AA/PAT: 24/24/22

Oh, and I got Achiever but not Topscore because people said Achiever was harder. Turns out... Achiever was obnoxious

Achiever1: PAT[19] QR[19] RC[17] Bio[16] GC[18] OC[20]
Achiever2: PAT[20] QR[20] RC[19] Bio[18] GC[17] OC[16]
Achiever3: PAT[19] QR[20] RC[15] Bio[15] GC[18] OC[19]

I took that 3rd Achiever a day before the real thing, but after a week long vacation (accidental, they rescheduled my test!!!)... so go figure, I don't even know if Achiever is indicative of anything

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Awesome scores!

I can only hope I can be as proud as you when I'm done taking my test on April 3rd. :xf:

Nice scores. I haven't started studying PAT, so what is grid folding or which book talks about it? Explain how to do that.

Did your ochem have protein/carbohydrate stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing scores....

Do you think you can briefly describe the grid method for PAT?

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I mistakenly called "hole punching" paper folding and got people excited about a new method to do it... unfortunately, there isn't. :(

For hole punching, you just draw yourself a 4x4 grid on the laminate sheet they give you, and fill in circles for the punched holes then work backwards unfolding the paper and filling out the holes on your grid accordingly, that way you don't miss any

Be careful though, for certain folds you have to ERASE some of the holes you've drawn in, just pay attention

Last edited:
Lol, I think we may have gotten the same test. You did better than me though. Congratz!!!
Those statistics problems from QR, were two or three of them about p-values specifically?
And were all your passages sorta related to gene therapy? I got gene therapy, then other stuff on like aging and telomeres.

Lol, I think we may have gotten the same test. You did better than me though. Congratz!!!
Those statistics problems from QR, were two or three of them about p-values specifically?
And were all your passages sorta related to gene therapy? I got gene therapy, then other stuff on like aging and telomeres.

Yeah! exactly, those were the passages (biological aging, gene therapy, telomerase)

and there was one stats problem about p-value which i barely remembered having something to do with the 5% test, but i was limited on time and didn't want to spend too much time on it so I guessed

there was another one about variance too I think, and it had something to do with the 68-95-99% rule