DAT taken 4/5/08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teamchee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took it last Saturday and was pretty happy with what I got. Here's my overall scores, ask me anything here and I'll reply. Good luck to the rest of you who have to go through this!

AA/TS/PA
21/22/19

Took the Princeton Review DAT course, and aside from their materials used materials from my biology classes (for flower, ecology, evolution etc.) and the Examcrackers bio book. Took topscore and achiever, did worse on all six of those tests than I did last Saturday.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Job. In bio did you have any question about plant biology in details? I mean how much details should we know about plant physiology?

Nice work. How long did you study for? did the angles in PAT look close and what was your strategy for that section as well as RC? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

So I've been on campus all day, which is why my DAT report is so basic. Tonight I'll post a much more detailed account of how I studied and what my breakdowns were in each of the sections of the DAT.

PLEASE don't PM me! I want to answer questions in public so that other people can benefit from them also!

Nice scores. Do youremember your RC topics?
Is it legal for me to tell you guys? (?) Haha

Good Job. In bio did you have any question about plant biology in details? I mean how much details should we know about plant physiology?
I was worried about this too. I took the lab manual from one of my biology classes from 2 years ago and studied that, which goes over the 9 major phyla, major representative animals of each one, etc. It also goes over the evolution of plants from algae to vascular to seed, etc. But I did have questions that covered these types of problems. If you can pick out the major themes then you should be able to guess the right answer, even if the questions are super specific.

Nice work. How long did you study for? did the angles in PAT look close and what was your strategy for that section as well as RC? Thanks
PAT I'm pissed about; in Topscore I was getting 22's and 23's but on Saturday I wasted my time trying to use the two laminated sheets to compare angles with. Never deviate from your strategies on test day!!! I can't tell you much for angle ranking, becuase I usually bomb it anyways but definitely bombed it on test day.

Anyone that PM'd me can repost their questions here!

how was princeton review?

I took kaplan, but it wasn't that good.
Is it worth it?

Good job first of all.
Was studying the bio lab of the kingdom breakdown useful? (like more than 3 questions on such things?)
Was O-chem simple (like simple reactions?)
How long were the RC essays?
Did QR have those very hard problem solving Qs?

That is a lot of questions
sorry

Hi everyone,

First of all, now that it's been a few days I'm really worried about my 19 PAT. Do you think that's going to hurt me?? Please give me some kind of input! But yeah, also I fogot to tell you guys that I did Destroyer: I spent 5 days covering this book and then 5 days straight of one Achiever/Topscore per day. Do that as your final countdown to the dat!

how was princeton review?

I took kaplan, but it wasn't that good.
Is it worth it?
I really liked Princeton. At $1100 I'm sure you get the same quality of instructors as you get with Kaplan, but Princeton gives you much more in terms of materials: texts 3" thick of pure information (which is very concise and very well put-together) and about 4-5" thick of problems to work on. They just don't have the online, but with Topscore and Achiever you really don't need it.

Good job first of all.
Was studying the bio lab of the kingdom breakdown useful? (like more than 3 questions on such things?)
Was O-chem simple (like simple reactions?)
How long were the RC essays?
Did QR have those very hard problem solving Qs?

That is a lot of questions
sorry
Well I mean, when it comes down to it I only spent one day looking at all of the bio lab stuff. I spent the night second-to-last day looking at all of that, and it worked enough for me. Make sure though you remember (generally) the techniques you learned in all those labs though, like blotting and electrophoresis, tlc, etc: don't know specifics but be able to picture what's going on in a very general sense.

For ochem, memorize all of the mechanisms that the Kaplan book (or in my case, the Princeton books) go over and you're gold. If you can do every Destroyer problem twice then I'd say you're ready.

In reading, I remember three distinct types of passages: the first had about 3-4 tone-type questions, requiring you to really understand the point of view of the author. The second passage was way long and required you to be able to scan really well for the information you need: this one was hard because the info was never in the passage word-for-word. The last passage was very straightforward.

Quantitative, do Destroyer!

So I took it last Saturday and was pretty happy with what I got. Here's my overall scores, ask me anything here and I'll reply. Good luck to the rest of you who have to go through this!

AA/TS/PA
21/22/19

Took the Princeton Review DAT course, and aside from their materials used materials from my biology classes (for flower, ecology, evolution etc.) and the Examcrackers bio book. Took topscore and achiever, did worse on all six of those tests than I did last Saturday.

Hey, we have the same scores. Good job :thumbup:.

Could you please post your scores from top score?

yeah definitely! AA/TS/PA:

Topscore 1 - 18/17/21
Topscore 2 - 18/18/22
Topscore 3 - 20/19/23

Achiever 1 - 20/18/18
Achiever 2 - 19/17/19
Achiever 3 - 19/17/18