DAT taken 7/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sks2286

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I just took the dat today, Friday and I wanted to post some comments. First I really appreciate this site and you can see my appreciation because im posting with in a half hour after being done. Im really thankful for all the people who took the time to respond to questions and post tips. I found studying material for the DAT to be really obscure. Kaplan isnt enough and you have to search pretty hard to find materials like destroyer. I think i shot my self using only kaplan the first time i took the test. Well anyways here are my scores. ..im a re applicant also GPA 3.61 and 3.55 science at the University of Illinois

Retake 20PA, QR18, RC21, BIO22, GC20, OC21, TS21, AA20
1st time 18PA, QR16 RC19, BIO18, GC22, OC17, TS 19, AA 18

This year I had interviews at uic and siue and was waitlisted at both schools with no luck. I am applying to 17 schools this time and sent my application on June 1st. Mostly to Midwest schools and a few private schools. My strongest part of my application is my community service, did a few service trips non medically related and won some awards through them. About 150 hours of shadowing and thats increasing every week. A little research experience as well

I was so scared of not getting ever because I was always considered a good student, took school seriously, and studied hard for the dat the first time so i never thought I would be in this position. In march, i got really sick with bacterial meningitis and that took a lot of out me. Bed ridden for at least a month. I managed to pull myself together and re apply. My dat score was the low point of my application so I realized that I needed to put forth the extra effort so i studied for two months straight for the dat. I used destroyer, barrons, kaplan blue book, crack dat pat, and achiever. Yea i spent alot of money but it was well worth it.

I highly recommend Destroyer. Its a different more active way of studying rather than just reading. This really worked for me but I think you need kaplan for the base of your studying. Kaplan is so boring but it gives you an idea of the material and is a good start. I constantly went through destroyer and went to kaplan, wikipedia, and this message board for reference. Barrons was filled with errors and is too brief but it gave me a good understanding of the PAT section. It provides a good description of the rules and tricks.
CRack DAT PAT was awesome. I bought the five test edition did 17,17, 17,18, 21. It was pretty similar to the actual thing. Angles were a bit easier and my cube counting was just as difficult. The only thing i would complain about was the format of the hole punch wasnt the same. The spacing of the holes was different. Also there was a half hole punch too. It kind of threw me off. It really helped with timing for sure. Timing was my biggest problem. All the other sections were pretty similar to the software.

I bought Achiever because I needed to work on my timing. It was well worth it for that reason. The questions are way more complicated in the science and pat sections. The reading lacked tone questions that i had on the test. There were alot of tone questions on my test actually. QR was a little more difficult on the real test. More random questions on it.

My achiever scores were..16-19 bio, 15-18chem, 17-22 ochem, 17-18 pat 23 RC, 22-19QR. Their pat is ridic and way too much compared the actual test. In the end im glad i used achiever because it over prepared me and made me work harder and think more during the test.

As for the test, bio there were a few random questions but nothing that u will not have seen before. Chem was a little bit more difficult, not many calculations. Organic chem was very basic with a few tricks here and there. Destroyer did an excellent job covering sciences.

PAT was very similar to CRACK DAT.

RC alot of tone questions. I did search and destroy and ended up just reading most of the passage. You really had to understand the passages.

QR was tough. Alot of random questions and some deviations of questions i have seen before. The trig wasnt too difficult but alot of word problems. I thought i could have done better but its the last part of the test plus i always had trouble with timing.

I would be very happy to answer any questions anyone has. Posts like these helped me a lot when i was studying. I was never very good at standardized tests so this took a lot work and im fairly sure if you manage it right anyone can do good on the DAT. I started reading this website thinking that people on here were geniuses and i could never score 20 + but there is always hope. Best of luck to everyone.

I'm gonna go celebrate this weekend and finally enjoy life.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be happy you made it. A 20 AA and you are definitely accepted to a couple of schools provided that you get your app in on time. Go apply and PARTAY.

Great job! But, you'd better change the title to 'DAT taken 7/11.' Otherwise, some haters will be suspicious. :D

Good job man!

I have been doing achiever, and I have to say, its not exactly confidence enhancing. Would you say the best way to use it is to just treat them like another bank of practice questions like destroyer..and just review them? I don't have timing issues. Thanks, and once again, great job!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

I just took the dat today, Friday and I wanted to post some comments. First I really appreciate this site and you can see my appreciation because im posting with in a half hour after being done. Im really thankful for all the people who took the time to respond to questions and post tips. I found studying material for the DAT to be really obscure. Kaplan isnt enough and you have to search pretty hard to find materials like destroyer. I think i shot my self using only kaplan the first time i took the test. Well anyways here are my scores. ..im a re applicant also GPA 3.61 and 3.55 science at the University of Illinois

Retake 20PA, QR18, RC21, BIO22, GC20, OC21, TS21, AA20
1st time 18PA, QR16 RC19, BIO18, GC22, OC17, TS 19, AA 18

This year I had interviews at uic and siue and was waitlisted at both schools with no luck. I am applying to 17 schools this time and sent my application on June 1st. Mostly to Midwest schools and a few private schools. My strongest part of my application is my community service, did a few service trips non medically related and won some awards through them. About 150 hours of shadowing and thats increasing every week. A little research experience as well

I was so scared of not getting ever because I was always considered a good student, took school seriously, and studied hard for the dat the first time so i never thought I would be in this position. In march, i got really sick with bacterial meningitis and that took a lot of out me. Bed ridden for at least a month. I managed to pull myself together and re apply. My dat score was the low point of my application so I realized that I needed to put forth the extra effort so i studied for two months straight for the dat. I used destroyer, barrons, kaplan blue book, crack dat pat, and achiever. Yea i spent alot of money but it was well worth it.

I highly recommend Destroyer. Its a different more active way of studying rather than just reading. This really worked for me but I think you need kaplan for the base of your studying. Kaplan is so boring but it gives you an idea of the material and is a good start. I constantly went through destroyer and went to kaplan, wikipedia, and this message board for reference. Barrons was filled with errors and is too brief but it gave me a good understanding of the PAT section. It provides a good description of the rules and tricks.
CRack DAT PAT was awesome. I bought the five test edition did 17,17, 17,18, 21. It was pretty similar to the actual thing. Angles were a bit easier and my cube counting was just as difficult. The only thing i would complain about was the format of the hole punch wasnt the same. The spacing of the holes was different. Also there was a half hole punch too. It kind of threw me off. It really helped with timing for sure. Timing was my biggest problem. All the other sections were pretty similar to the software.

I bought Achiever because I needed to work on my timing. It was well worth it for that reason. The questions are way more complicated in the science and pat sections. The reading lacked tone questions that i had on the test. There were alot of tone questions on my test actually. QR was a little more difficult on the real test. More random questions on it.

My achiever scores were..16-19 bio, 15-18chem, 17-22 ochem, 17-18 pat 23 RC, 22-19QR. Their pat is ridic and way too much compared the actual test. In the end im glad i used achiever because it over prepared me and made me work harder and think more during the test.

As for the test, bio there were a few random questions but nothing that u will not have seen before. Chem was a little bit more difficult, not many calculations. Organic chem was very basic with a few tricks here and there. Destroyer did an excellent job covering sciences.

PAT was very similar to CRACK DAT.

RC alot of tone questions. I did search and destroy and ended up just reading most of the passage. You really had to understand the passages.

QR was tough. Alot of random questions and some deviations of questions i have seen before. The trig wasnt too difficult but alot of word problems. I thought i could have done better but its the last part of the test plus i always had trouble with timing.

I would be very happy to answer any questions anyone has. Posts like these helped me a lot when i was studying. I was never very good at standardized tests so this took a lot work and im fairly sure if you manage it right anyone can do good on the DAT. I started reading this website thinking that people on here were geniuses and i could never score 20 + but there is always hope. Best of luck to everyone.

I'm gonna go celebrate this weekend and finally enjoy life.

how far apart did you take each test? I took my first one in dec 07, about to retake it july 28 (~2 weeks from now). Im using kaplan, topscore, achiever, destroyer, and barrons (for pat). i find it easier studying after already taking it. I just wanted to know what kind of study habits you used to improve your score besides taking other tests and what kind of time restraints you were on. thanks!

SoliD! Congrats..
CAN you please explain to us about the DAT hole punching again? Was it easier or harder than Crack Pat? I know Crack has a lot of weird folds. Did you see those types of folds on DAT?

How many schools did you apply to the first time? you have a nice GPA and those first DAT scores were pretty solid. You have me a little worried here.....

great job, I have a question about RC. what were your topics? how did u use search and destroy? did u first read the 1-2 q and then found answers and so on. can u explain a bit more. Also how is it possible to answer tone questions with search and destroy?

what were ur rc scores in achiever and kaplan? how did u practice for it?

thanks alot and enjoy ur summer

Congrats. Just a question with Destroyer. When I used it I used it as a test material rather than a study guide. (BIG MISTAKE) How did you go about using the destroyer? Thanks!

Great job sks2286! You should be really proud of urself!! I took my DATS last August and got a TS 17, AA 16 I applied (only to 4 schools) and didn't get in any:( eventhough my GPA is on highend. I'm planning on retaking them Aug 1st and already sent in my application, only this time around, im applying to a lot more schools. It kinda stinks though because I just finished graduating and now have a year to do.....???? Anyways, I'm using the Destroyer and am a huge fan...it's just taking me a loooong time to get through. I really haven't practiced any RC or PAT. Time has always been a HUMUNGO problem for me too. I reacctivated my Kaplan account so I can simulate the real exam a couple of times before I take it...is there anything else you recommend? Btw...I know what you mean with this forum...it has helped me a lot too...mostly after I got really depressed last year right after my DATS...I don't know a lot of pre-dental people that are nice in a noncompetitive kind of way and it helps to know that people like u exist who are willing to give advice and their honest opinions about their learning experience. Thanks A LOT and congrats again:)

Hey

Thanks for everyone posting replies. I pretty much gave all the information I could in my first post. I ran through destroyer several times for each section. I didnt use it like it was a test just as a study guide, my book is marked with all sorts of study notes for example. As for achiever I ran through each test bout 3 times. Studied what I didnt know. I found the pat on achiever even though it is much more complicated than the actual exam to be good preparation. I think its best to be over prepared for the pat section. I was under prepared the first time I took the exam and it was horrible.

Hmm as for people who were concerned about reading. It is a pretty cut and dry section part of the test. All the answers are given to you and all you have to do is search for it. I think people try to over complicate it.

By the way, i am very happy with my scores but the scores that people post on here are insane. Maybe dat scores are on a upward trend but jeezz....def intimidating. It could be people who use this board and post their scores are more of the top notch applicants.

Anways, for those who are being forced to take a year off, what are you guys doing? Any suggestions? Internships? I dont want to take any more classes and would love to have job. Unfortunately my bio degree is worthless.

Take it easy