DAT test date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Ortho

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Dental schools in July or August. If I took the DAT in June after taking a Kaplan course, would that be too late to take it? If i didn't take a kaplan course til the summer, and then took the test in August or September would that be too late to take the test for the cycle? I want to apply for the fall of 2007. Which do you guys think which would be better?

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to get the AADSAS part in as quickly as possible (stuff like transcripts, LOR, PS, etc.). It takes them a few weeks to process that. I think as long as you take the DAT in July or even early August should be fine.

Definitely get your AADSAS portion out of the way as soon as possible. Allow about a week to fill out everything and also give yourself some time for procrastination ;) It'll take about 2 months for AADSAS to complete your application so by the time your application arrives at the schools, your DAT should be finished.

Members don't see this ad :)
mahme said:
I would try to get the AADSAS part in as quickly as possible (stuff like transcripts, LOR, PS, etc.). It takes them a few weeks to process that. I think as long as you take the DAT in July or even early August should be fine.

I took the DAT in September and everything was fine. Definitely do the AADSAS right away ... you don't have to put your DAT scores on your AADSAS application at all.

Dr. Ortho said:
I am applying to Dental schools in July or August. If I took the DAT in June after taking a Kaplan course, would that be too late to take it? If i didn't take a kaplan course til the summer, and then took the test in August or September would that be too late to take the test for the cycle? I want to apply for the fall of 2007. Which do you guys think which would be better?

I filled out the application form and submitted it as soon as I could in May or early June (I'm from Texas, so I used TMDSAS). Then I took the Kaplan review course throughout July, and I took the DAT early or mid August. It takes 3 or 4 weeks for the schools to get your scores, but after that you're golden. I interviewed at two schools (one mid October, and another early November). I got accepted to my top choice dental school, and I had just decided to be a dentist in early May of this year! I think taking it in the summer is a good idea b/c the Kaplan course will be one of the only things that you're focused on instead of having to juggle the course with school classes. This is just my opinion of course. Good luck with all you do!!! :) Oh, and by the way - the Kaplan course is great. I scored really well on the real thing, and my diagnostic was terrible. Just memorize everything they give you and do the most you can every day! :)

Dr. Ortho said:

if anything... take care of all your AADSAS stuff... it takes quite a while for processing (i.e. GPA verification) and have it sent out to individual schools. you should be okay to take it in June or July. the score reports are sent out pretty quickly to the schools.

:luck: GOOD LUCK!!!! study hard... do well... :)