DAT Today (7/21/06)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehipster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally I'm done and can actually enjoy the rest of my summer the way I'm supposed to. Okay, so I'll start from the beginning. I started my DAT studying in the first week of June. I didn't take the Kaplan course, but I used the Kaplan Blue Book found in the bookstore. I spent about 1-4 hours a day studying (usually around 1 hour...was a little lazy, what can I say). I started by summarizing the Kaplan book into my own notes in a notebook. I spent about 3 weeks doing this. After I finished that, I was pretty lazy the next week and probably spent only 7 hours total studying the next week. After that, I went back to the usual 1-4 hours a day of studying. I studied each section separately, and then did a quick review the last two days before the test. I took the Topscore and DAT Achiever tests every other day the week before my test. The last week before the DAT I hardly studied, I basically only took the practice tests, I was so sick of studying since I usually only study the day before for exams in school.

Overall, I thought the DAT wasn't that bad. I just finished Biochemistry and Comparative Animal Physiology this last semester, so a lot of bio was still fresh in my head. If you know Kaplan for General Chemistry and Organic, I think you'll be set for the real DAT. Math came back pretty quick as I was studying and was very similar to Topscore and DAT Achiever. I don't know why my Quant score was so low (I was pretty pissed about it) I was very sure that I got every question right, but can't do anything about it now. I finished the science section a little over 20 minutes early, but spent another 10 min and went through all of the gen chem and organic sections again (found 1 mistake i made). Reading Section sucked, I half guessed on 3 questions, I didn't pace my self enough and dwelled on certain questions. PAT was close to Topscore, angles were tough, tougher than of the practice tests (as everyone has said). Kaplan's PAT is a joke, it was way too easy compared to the real DAT. Biology was very broad. I read Kaplan and Schaum's. Kaplan is not enough. I think I had one Taxonomy question, which I was mad about, I was hoping for at least 5 of those, I can't believe I wasted time studying it, but it all depends on what test you take. Don't let your practice test scores scare you. I only broke a 20 on 1 science section (organic-topscore 3) out of the 6 practice tests, but look at my scores. Like everyone says, the DAT is not a hard test.

If you're curious about my GPA or the schools I'm applying to, check out my predents profile link in my signature. Post or PM any questions.

Topscore 1 Topscore 2 Topscore 3
Biology 18 / 17 / 18
Chem 18 / 19 / 17
Organic 16 / 19 / 28
PAT 21 / 21 / -
Reading - / - / -
Quant 21 / 21 / 22

Achiever 1 Achiever 2 Achiever 3
Biology 16 / 18 / 15
Chem 17 / 15 / 17
Organic 18 / 17 / 19
PAT 16 / 18 / -
Reading 21 / - / -
Quant 21 / 19 / 22

REAT DAT

Biology 23 (98.5%)
Chem 25 (97.5%)
Organic 25 (98.0%)
PAT 20 (88.2%) :(
Reading 21 (76.5%) :(
Quant 22 (93.8%)

TS 24 (99.3%)
AA 23 (98.4%)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
nice scores hipster. Did you reference any college textbooks for the sciences?
I was planning on using my old college text for bio and schaums bio but i might have to just go with schaums because im running out of time. good luck with the application process

Notoriousjae said:
nice scores hipster. Did you reference any college textbooks for the sciences?
I was planning on using my old college text for bio and schaums bio but i might have to just go with schaums because im running out of time. good luck with the application process

I didn't look at any textbooks at all. I think Kaplan is enough for both of the chem's, and Schaum's is helpful for plants, taxonomy, photosynthesis, but Kaplan leaves a lot of bio info out in my opinion. If you've taken classes like genetics, biochem, or physiology and remember the stuff, it'll help out a lot. Personally, I needed more than Kaplan for bio simply because I never learned one thing in my bio classes in my first 2 yrs of college, but everyone is different.

I had about the same orgo scores as you did for the first two topscore exams...
How'd you get that huge jump from 16 topscore to 28? any studying/cramming techniques that might be helpful?

my test is in a few weeks, and i'm still a little clueless about the orgo section, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :scared:

Yeyyy said:
I had about the same orgo scores as you did for the first two topscore exams...
How'd you get that huge jump from 16 topscore to 28? any studying/cramming techniques that might be helpful?

my test is in a few weeks, and i'm still a little clueless about the orgo section, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :scared:

I'm not sure why my first 5 organic scores were so much lower than Topscore 3. I actually didn't study anything more, but I knew that I could do better. Most of the mistakes I made weren't from not knowing the material, but because I didn't read the question right. Like, it would ask what the stereochemistry of the enantiomer of a compound and I would put the stereochemistry of the compound instead (I always make dumb mistakes like that, but I made sure to read the questions carefully on the real thing). My organic studying was pretty basic, I wrote all of the Kaplan organic reactions onto flashcards and memorized those in ~4 days and then reviewed them all again the last day before the test.

xdesigninc said:
Great scores by the way, what was your taxonomy question about?

I can't even remember the taxonomy question, everything is a real blur, maybe something on arthropods.

I got some PM's about the quant section that I thought I'd answer. I only had 3 probability problems, two were fairly easy, and one where I had to use the combinations formula. I didn't have that much trig or geometry, but I had more word problems than I anticipated. The word problems weren't very lengthly though. Also, make sure to know your conversions, like liters, gallons, pints, quarts, miles, feet, ounces. Any other questions, just let me know.

To answer some more questions, my RC topics were on calcium, aging, and antibiotics

thehipster said:
To answer some more questions, my RC topics were on calcium, aging, and antibiotics

Did you read through all of schaums? or just sections on plants and taxonomy?

lifeisgood said:
Did you read through all of schaums? or just sections on plants and taxonomy?

I read sections about plants, taxonomy, ecology, and parts of genetics

Ok, I got some more questions a few days ago that I thought I'd answer. For the reading section, I just searched for the answers to the questions. The main reason I did so badly on the reading was b/c I wasn't willing to move on from some questions (don't do that obviously). I remember I had one question, which I know would be easy to answer, but I just couldn't find the word in the passage for a while. I think going straight to the questions is the best strategy for RC. I had some opinion questions, but weren't too difficult, along with questions that asked, "what would the author add after a certain paragraph"? Understand theory stuff for both chems, I was surprised how much of that there was. Pace yourself on the PAT, I think that was my mistake on that section. Know Kaplan well for chem & organic. I don't really think you need any more for those 2 sections except for a few name reactions like Diels-Alder and a couple others i forget now. Again, it's not a hard test. Only use practice scores as a guide, not as a hindrance.

nir1009 said:
Were the angles harder than Achiever?

Yes the angles were harder than achiever. Only about 3 or 4 on the real dat i knew for sure, the rest was kind of a 50/50 shot, but on achiever's angles, i usually only missed one.