DAT tools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hannnah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I've taken the DAT twice and made a 16 the first try and a year later a 17. I've done Chad's videos, Crack DAT PAT, DAT Destroyer, Cliffs AP Biology, Top Score Pro and just wondering if anyone else had any tips on getting a higher score? What are some other materials used that helped? And some helpful tips on the Reading part which I never spend much time practicing but I'm always rushing and running out of time towards the end. Any advice for this upcoming test in August would be greatly appreciated! thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!
I've taken the DAT twice and made a 16 the first try and a year later a 17. I've done Chad's videos, Crack DAT PAT, DAT Destroyer, Cliffs AP Biology, Top Score Pro and just wondering if anyone else had any tips on getting a higher score? What are some other materials used that helped? And some helpful tips on the Reading part which I never spend much time practicing but I'm always rushing and running out of time towards the end. Any advice for this upcoming test in August would be greatly appreciated! thanks!:)[/QUOTE]

best way to improve on reading is reading a book. You should also do many many practice tests to get used to "thinking/concentrating" for long periods of time. I suggest reading at least 1 hour everyday continuously from some classic books (ex: Lolita, Count of Monte Cristo) you can choose anything you like.
Also get your confidence up and know that you have learned everything that they can throw at you on the DAT. Just relax and focus on the test you will do fine.

Last edited:
Hm, what I notice from studying is.. Although I have great materials like you, I just learned how to use it.

What I mean is for Cliff's AP, all I did was read just to get it over with. That should not happen, instead you should read and understand it. Along with that, you should ask yourself possibly DAT questions, while you are reading. For example while I was reading the reproductive system, I asked myself a question such as "What helps nourish the spermatids before they mature to sperms?"

It helps you grasp the terms and understand them.

For practice problems, I would try to understand each choice of the question. If I am not familiar with the process or term, then I would look it up.

Some answers are obviously wrong, but I asked myself questions such as what question would they ask for me to CIRCLE that answer.

Hope this helps ! I am taking my DAT on August too ! PM me if you need any further help.

Also while I am reading, I make several mnemonics just to memorize some processes !

Goodluck !

Members don't see this ad :)
@aznnytezx
Goodluck to you too! Thank you for your advice!
On the reading part do you read the questions first then go into reading the passage? Have you taken it before?

I haven't taken the DAT yet, but the difference between reading everyday and practicing is different. The DAT tests you on how well can you read and answer the questions, with that being said you should look into reading practices.

Such reading practices is Crack DAT reading and DAT edge, I believe those are the best reading practices out there.

At the moment, I am using Crack DAT reading. I am not totally good at reading either, but I believe with practice you can at least get somewhere.

Advice on reading, always engage yourself as a reader. Don't read the first sentence or title, such as "How electricity flows through the light bulb" and automatically be like oh my gosh, this is going to be a boring passage.

If you have that mindset, you are going to lose every single detail that you read.

To ensure that you are taking the boring passage one step at a time, I would read the first 2-3 paragraphs slowly and in details to ensure that I can answer te first few questions. Then go to paragraph 4-6, and repeat the process.

That way, you can answer the questions with confidence. Maybe write a keyword on the paragraph numbers to refer back just in case question 20 asks about for how light bulbs are made, which will be on 3rd paragraph.

It really comes down to strategy, I believe if it is a good passage. Then my short term memory might help me out there.

Goodluck !

You are completely right. Thank you again so much for the advice! I'll try it out and see how it goes.