DAT vs GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayden28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got my results back for the Canadian DAT a few days ago and I'm torn about whether I should re-write it next time it's offered in February (during midterm season!!) OR if I should focus on improving my GPA. My oGPA is ~3.55 or close to that. It's been a while since I calculated it but I remember it being something like that and my DAT scores are:

RC: 21
BIO: 19
CHEM: 20
SCI: 19
AA: 20
PAT: 23

I'm not sure if these stats are competitive enough. Any feedback would be great as I'm trying to make the decision soon to plan out my DAT/school study schedule.

Also, is it true the Feb DAT is less competitive than the Nov? Do schools also look at your percentiles as well as the DAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

are you applying to US or Canadian schools? That makes a big difference on if you're competitive or not.

are you applying to US or Canadian schools? That makes a big difference on if you're competitive or not.

Both! 5 schools in Canada (UBC, UofT, Western, McGill & Dalhousie) and many more in the States. I'm leaning towards re-writing it.. It seems like I'll need scores 20+ in each section to be competitive for Canadian schools, since my GPA isn't the highest.

Both! 5 schools in Canada (UBC, UofT, Western, McGill & Dalhousie) and many more in the States. I'm leaning towards re-writing it.. It seems like I'll need scores 20+ in each section to be competitive for Canadian schools, since my GPA isn't the highest.
Ya exactly. You're fine for US, but for Canadian it needs to be a bit higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is good. I doubt that the difficulty of the test is different eafh month.

It seems like I'll need scores 20+ in each section to be competitive for Canadian schools, since my GPA isn't the highest.
b8em6w

Your GPA is good. I doubt that the difficulty of the test is different eafh month.
Oo I should've clarified! I didn't mean the difficulty of the test, I just meant the pool of candidates writing the exam. I've heard February is less competitive because not as many people sit the exam, but I wasn't sure if this was just a rumor.

Last edited: