Data on Cardiology EP salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palphap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am actively looking for a job as an Electrophysiologist, and of course am torn by the extreme variability in the compensations. I was hoping someone here might have access to some data (MGMA, AMGA etc) regarding regional compensation. If anyone can share that, it would help me a lot in the decision making process.

Members don't see this ad.

A recent EP grad signed for 425k base in the heart of Manhattan

Members don't see this ad :)
Fresh EP grads can expect around $400,000-$500,000 starting salary.

That seems a bit low, though it all depends on where the job is located. My two friends signed jobs in the 600s in the Midwest.

That's also possible, but especially for interventional grads which are known to start out at around $600,000. I've always thought EP would be a little bit lower, it's usually IC > EP > General in terms of starting pay.

I can only speak for NYC - LI, westchester, some areas of NJ

General- 300-350 hospital employeed
IC- 380 to low 400
EP- similar to IC

Starting numbers are gonna be highly variable depending on location and practice structure. For most private/hospital employed figure on a year or two of base salary guarantee followed by productivity based on RVUs. At that point $ per RVU will also widely vary based on location. On low end $38-40 per RVU up to prob close to $60/RVU on the high end. Can do the math from there.

Starting I’d say upper 300’s-low 400 in more competitive/larger markets. In more rural “less desirable” (subjective obviously) areas could get 500-600k.

200-300 academic
300-400 private

more to live in middle of nowhere.

capitated ablation payment models are coming, and marked is saturated in desirable areas

i would expect future salary to be similar to general, but with less geographic choice

In our hospital system, EP starts at 650 base with benefits into the 750 range With a little bit higher potential but not much after year one. This is a midsize metro area. I believe this is slightly higher compared to other systems within our region, however I also can’t imagine any EP job in my region making less than 600 in total package .