1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Database IR/NMR Spectrums

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by swifteagle43, Apr 5, 2007.

1. swifteagle43

swifteagle43 Lover- not a fighter
    10+ Year Member

Hey,

I seem to be running into a weak spot here. I am ahving trouble recognizing spectrums. Was wondering how everyone did this....

Some people just know this stuff but our professor let us use the book for these. was wondering if anyone knew a databse where I can print out basic spectrums....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. konig

konig New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  4. dochoov

dochoov Intercalating Death Disk
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is a personal fav. You can search this database by molecular formula or name. For most of the species in the database you can get an IR and mass spec, along with some other stuff you probobly won't find too usefull.

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/

5. Kraazy

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    I just memorized a couple of spectrums, which according to Kaplan is really all you need for the MCAT. So far it's worked great. I think the ones you absolutely should know for IR are ketones, amines, alcohols, aldehydes, and carboxylic acids. For proton NMR, you should know carboxylic acids, aldehydes, and aromatics.

6. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My Orgo teacher really hammered spectroscopy. I had two semester exams on spectroscopy alone, thankfully, I havenet had to put to much time studying this during MCAT prep.