Database IR/NMR Spectrums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I seem to be running into a weak spot here. I am ahving trouble recognizing spectrums. Was wondering how everyone did this....

Some people just know this stuff but our professor let us use the book for these. was wondering if anyone knew a databse where I can print out basic spectrums....

Members don't see this ad.

This is a personal fav. You can search this database by molecular formula or name. For most of the species in the database you can get an IR and mass spec, along with some other stuff you probobly won't find too usefull.

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/

I just memorized a couple of spectrums, which according to Kaplan is really all you need for the MCAT. So far it's worked great. I think the ones you absolutely should know for IR are ketones, amines, alcohols, aldehydes, and carboxylic acids. For proton NMR, you should know carboxylic acids, aldehydes, and aromatics.

My Orgo teacher really hammered spectroscopy. I had two semester exams on spectroscopy alone, thankfully, I havenet had to put to much time studying this during MCAT prep.