Dates for starting 2006 DO programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MK017

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still in undergrad and starting to focus on 2006. I understand that each school is different but generally what are the general dates for D.O. progrmas starting in 2006.

When should the MCAT be taken by?
When are early aps?
When are normal aps?
When are interview?
When do you get the official yes or no?

Members don't see this ad.

MK017 said:
I'm still in undergrad and starting to focus on 2006. I understand that each school is different but generally what are the general dates for D.O. progrmas starting in 2006.

When should the MCAT be taken by?
When are early aps?
When are normal aps?
When are interview?
When do you get the official yes or no?

I will encourage you to take the MCAT in April of 2005.

You can submit ACOMAS application starting May or June (earlier the better). Earliest you can file your application may depend on the school.

Interviews will also depend on the schools as well as the candidate, and when the application was filed. For example I submitted my ACOMAS in June, and I recieved interview at COMP 2nd week of Sept. Filed apps for CCOM (including secondary) by mid-August, I recieved interview during the 1st week of October.

I heard back from COMP 2 weeks after interview that I was accepted. I heard back from CCOM about month after my interview.

So this is from my limited experience, but a lot has to do with the candidate and the school.

Good luck in your application process!

Dose that mean you find out in october for next year? You have about a year from the time they tell you till you actually go? I thought that MCATs in April and July or so were for that comming fall not for the year after that. Is that correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
MK017 said:
Dose that mean you find out in october for next year? You have about a year from the time they tell you till you actually go? I thought that MCATs in April and July or so were for that comming fall not for the year after that. Is that correct?

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I got a feeling that you wanted to start school in fall of 2006. In which case you will need to apply during 2005-2006 application cycle which will begin in June. So if you apply early lets say in June 2005, and all goes well you could be accepted in say September 2005. You will start school in 2006 though.

I hope this makes sense and sorry for any confusion.

I thought that MCATs in April and July or so were for that comming fall not for the year after that. Is that correct?
You should take the MCAT the year before you're planning to matriculate. I took the MCAT in April 2004, and I applied for the class entering this august.

For the entering class of 2006:

When should the MCAT be taken by? April '05 (this april!)
When are early apps? June '05
When are normal aps? August-October '05
When are interview? I applied in June and had my first interview October 1st
When do you get the official yes or no? Varies from school to school. I heard from KCOM within 5 days.

Just to clear up misconceptions... these guys are telling you what they did and what you SHOULD do. Yes, it's definitely to your advantage to get your apps complete early, but in reality, it doesn't happen for most people. So don't give up if you can't make these deadlines. Be prepared for delays with MCAT scores, LORs, and the speed or (lack thereof) of your pre-med advisor. Schools interview through March and sometimes April, and as of now there are still plenty of spaces in most of the DO schools. If you need more time to study and take the Aug. MCAT, submit the AACOMAS in June anyway. The schools will wait to get your scores before they review it but at least there won't be any delay when your scores do come back.
I took the MCAT in aug 2002
Submitted AACOMAS aug 2004
Secondaries complete Dec 2004
Interviews granted Jan 19th-Mar 3rd 2005
Waiting anxiously to hear! Matriculate hopefully Aug 2005.
Don't be misled. As you can see with my example, this is not a quick process.