Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikole

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did you hear back from programs? When did you do interviews?
March, April, May? Please give specific dates.

I will be MIA the last week of April through the second week of May and was wondering if this would be an issue with interviews and visiting schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's see, I heard back as early as December (although that is REALLY early). The others were in late January and mid-February. My interviews were in mid-January, late February, and early March (which is considered on the late side). Hearing back from programs varies, although the overall decision day is April 15 (there are quite a few exceptions to this, but it is a general rule of thumb).

I seriously doubt you will have any issue with your plans. Good luck!

Yeah, April 15th is pretty much a hard and fast rule. If you get in off a waitlist you're likely to know by the week after that. I was one of the last in my group of friends to hear anything, and by April 21st I was shopping for a place to live in my new city.

Members don't see this ad :)
December? Wow, that's FAST!

Heard back from programs beginning in very early January, and did most of my preliminary phone interviews then.

My interviews were in January and early February. I withdrew most of my applications in early February, and several of the schools were still setting up interviews at that time. I heard back from programs between 2 days and 1 1/2 weeks after interviews.

I'd say that being gone in late April will not be of any consequence unless you're waitlisted... then it could be possible to get a call after April 15th when programs get some declines. You'd want to be reachable in that circumstance.

It's not possible to give any kind of firm dates. The days the program decides to interview will be based on how fast they can narrow down the interview group and when they are all free. The dates can change each year.

Good luck! :)

If you are really curious, look back to the interview thread and acceptance thread from last year. That way you can see when the schools you are interested in did those things last year. Yes, it takes time, but I was nerdy enough to do it last year and it actually helped a bit with the stress because I knew when to expect certain schools. It isn't fool-proof but it was better than one might think!

It is quite interesting to read through the old thread and watch how everything unfolds. I'm far too tired and lazy at the moment to dig them up, but if someone wants to (RD...where are you?!) it may prove for an interesting read.

My 2 cents btw:

Notify for interview: end of dec through end of feb (or so).
Interview: Jan through March, since APA programs need to let prospectives know by April 1st, and the prospectives need to let the programs know by April 15th. There are spots that become available after the 15th, but they do that so they don't have a cascade of people 'waiting' on other offers and clogging up the system.

-t

It is quite interesting to read through the old thread and watch how everything unfolds. I'm far too tired and lazy at the moment to dig them up, but if someone wants to (RD...where are you?!) it may prove for an interesting read.

My 2 cents btw:

Notify for interview: end of dec through end of feb (or so).
Interview: Jan through March, since APA programs need to let prospectives know by April 1st, and the prospectives need to let the programs know by April 15th. There are spots that become available after the 15th, but they do that so they don't have a cascade of people 'waiting' on other offers and clogging up the system.

-t

:laugh: If I wasn't so exhausted from packing boxes all day and having the stomach flu, I'd do it.

I agree, look back at the threads they were very helpful for me. Last year I applied to a couple of programs. Approx. two weeks after the application deadline (Jan 15th) I got a call for an interview directly from the professor I applied to work under (she did not interview me over the phone, just complimented my application and answered any questions I had). My interview was scheduled for the very end of February, and I actually got a call regarding my acceptance status less than a week later. Remember, every school is different, so this will vary. This whole process was minimally intimidating.