Medical Day 2: Audit Your School List Before You Hit Submit

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two days left before the ideal AMCAS submission window closes!!!

Now is a good time to take a hard look at your school list.

You don’t need to second-guess everything. But you do need to ask yourself a few pointed questions. Your school list is one of the biggest drivers of your success this cycle — and the best-written application can’t make up for a mismatched list.

Ask yourself:​

  • Do I have enough schools where I’m above the median?
    These are your statistical “safe bets.” Not guarantees — but necessary to ground your list.
  • Do I know which schools screen heavily based on stats before reading apps?
    Schools with firm cutoffs will not make exceptions, no matter how strong your story is.
  • Have I included schools that favor in-state or regional ties if I don’t have any?
    Don’t waste slots on state schools where you’re unlikely to get a look.
  • Do I understand how mission-driven schools read apps?
    If you’re applying to HBCUs, service-focused schools, or programs with a rural/primary care focus, make sure your story backs that up clearly in your writing.
  • Do I know what I want out of a medical school?
    Geography, curriculum style, support services, research, match list — your goals matter.

Your list should have:​

  • A strong base of schools where you're above the median
  • A smaller number of “reaches” where you have a compelling story fit
  • A few “wild cards” that fit your values or mission, even if the stats are tight
  • Schools that you’d genuinely attend if accepted
If your current list doesn’t meet that test, adjust now — not after you submit.

Not sure if your list fits your stats, goals, and story?
We’re offering focused 45-minute consults to help you clean up your list, boost your odds, and prep for secondaries.

Book a session here.