dazed and confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorns4life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and I just got a couple of questions for my fellow DOs out there. I'm a MS IV and currently applying to MD gas residencies and also to DO internships.

If I rank the DO internships and match with one of them in Feb, am I going to be automatically withdrawn from ONLY the categorical MD gas residencies or the advanced ones as well? If I do not rank the DO internships, is it possible to get into a DO internship after the March MD match assuming I match into a advanced spot? :confused:

thx for the help guys!

still recovering from half a decade of losing to OU :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You will be withdrawn only from the categorical programs if you match only for a DO PGY-1 spot. DOs frequently match into AOA internships and ACGME Advanced Residencies.

I don't see any reason you couldn't get into an unfilled DO internship after the matches are over, as long as you delicately approach the issue of not having done the AOA match with the program of interest.

My recommendation would be to track down the dually-accredited internships if you are applying for the DO match. They will probably be more understanding of not doing the AOA match, and you shouldn't have any worries about your Advanced ACGME program accepting it for PGY-1 credit. Of note, Texas Tech has a dually-accredited AOA/ACGME program.

I almost feel bad for you Longhorns...almost. Go Sooners!