DBS for addiction: bad journalism

Started by birchswing
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

birchswing

Non-medical
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Notable for continued conflation of benzodiazepines and opioids.

Headline is about opioids but the first mention of a drug:

The tiny electrodes surgeons implanted in the reward center of his brain are designed to carry electrical stimulation that could, in theory, help drown out the constant craving he feels for benzodiazepines, his drug of choice.
Making it sound like benzodiazepines are a specific drug, a specific type of opioid.

At first, Fisher, who had been using drugs since high school, easily found doctors willing to write prescriptions for his social anxiety. When that stopped working, he began buying from friends and eventually started stealing from strangers to get the money to pay for drugs. Initially it was just "benzos," but later he moved on to prescription opioids and then heroin.
The implication is that it went from a moderate to severe drug use among the same class.

As part of an NBC News series, "One Nation Overdosed," "Nightly News with Lester Holt" was given access to West Virginia University’s experimental trial as surgeons implanted wires in Fisher's brain to treat his severe opioid use disorder.
Given the reporting, it's impossible to discern if they have any accuracy as to what exactly is being treated. Opioids? Benzo dependency?

(They also refer to overdoses several times, without mentioning the severe difficulty in overdosing on benzodiazepines in isolation, not to mention the difficulty prisons have had in purposefully executing people using extreme doses of benzodiazepines.)

Drugs such as benzodiazepines and opioids hijack the reward system and once users are exposed, they need more and more of the substances to get the rush of the feel-good neurotransmitter dopamine.
They're practically the same thing!

(At least they acknowledged they're different drugs here, but the description is just wrong. If these drugs worked the same way, then the field of anesthesia has been duplicating pain control and amnesic agents, when just a single class would have done the trick.)
“I’m willing to do what it takes to get my brain back to normal,” Fisher said. “I hope that I can get back to that period before I started using benzos. Just being naturally happy — enjoying music again, enjoying food again, enjoying seeing a smile on somebody’s face.”
A quote from the actual patient that specifically mentions the benzos (what the article previously implied were less severe opioids). I would take a direct quote from the patient over anything else in the article.


The reason I take this sort of seriously is that in the past when I looked at web-sites for addiction rehabilitation centers or would call them, they used interchangeable language for all drugs. I would inquire as to how fast they did tapers, what treatments they used, and they would describe using things like suboxone for benzodiazepines and not seem to be aware of the differences. In fact, you can find rehab centers that say they will help you "detox" from SSRIs and use the exact same reward language and that people feel better and better on the drugs and need more and more (they seem to copy/paste the same verbiage for every drug in existence). There is so little scientific rigor with this particular branch of medicine (I guess addiction medicine—I'm not really sure who runs rehab facilities; it seems a bit like a sketchy industry). But particularly with benzodiazepines and the opioid epidemic, they became conflated during the rise of overdoses.

It's just bad journalism, but it's honestly not that different than the messaging from NIDA.
 
Per our neurointerventional department, DBS is being tested on multiple substance use disorders/addictions. It is actively being evaluated in multiple conditions, including benzodiazepines, amphetamines, and opioids as far as I understand it, but due to significant FDA limitations as well as difficulty recruiting, it is very slow moving and there are relatively few active participants in these types of studies.
 
I happened to catch this segment on the TV at the Y, and I was cringing the entire time.
I don't disagree that DBS might have an application here, but I totally agree with @birchswing that it was HORRID journalism.
Don't look up Gell-Mann Amnesia or you'll never be able to trust anything you hear again. 🙂