DBS for obesity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llogg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems like a better idea than stomach stapling. Does anybody know if this is being done? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This seems like a better idea than stomach stapling. Does anybody know if this is being done? Thanks.

I don't think this is being done anywhere (yet), but I could be wrong. Who really knows what goes on in those supersecret labs at the "Top 10"?

There are some reports of Parkinson's patients GAINING weight s/p DBS, thought to be due to decreased excessive movements resulting in less expenditure of calories.

Interesting thought. Would also be interesting to see if it worked in reverse (i.e., stimulating appetite in anorexics).

I don't think this is being done anywhere (yet), but I could be wrong. Who really knows what goes on in those supersecret labs at the "Top 10"?

There are some reports of Parkinson's patients GAINING weight s/p DBS, thought to be due to decreased excessive movements resulting in less expenditure of calories.

Interesting thought. Would also be interesting to see if it worked in reverse (i.e., stimulating appetite in anorexics).
I would think that it would be all in the placement of the leads. It seems like hitting the correct hypothalamic nuclei could theoretically work for either stimulating or inhibiting appetite.

Members don't see this ad :)
My God I wouldn't dream of doing that:eek: . Neurosurgery & it's risks for obesity!!! Not to be pessimistic, but I find it difficult to justify.

I'd Staple, band, by-pass +lifestyle therapy anyday over that.

My God I wouldn't dream of doing that:eek: . Neurosurgery & it's risks for obesity!!! Not to be pessimistic, but I find it difficult to justify.

I'd Staple, band, by-pass +lifestyle therapy anyday over that.
Yeah, I don't know the morbidity/mortality of DBS lead placement, but if this offers an effective "cure" of obesity and all the health risks that bears it might be worth it.

If it were that simple it wouldn't be such a huge problem (pun intended).

Just thought I'd post because I actually laughed at the pun!! :D

I have to admit DBS for obesity is a cool thaught. Nicing thinking outside the box.

Maybe we should refer to DBS bariatric surgerey as "Deep Brain Stapling"...:)