DCOM Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An e-mail received from Paul Carney yesterday contained the following information which may be of interest to DCOM alternates.

There are just over 150 on the waitlist and the class is "nearing capacity".

The admissions committee will meet after the Memorial Day weekend to review the alternate list. If there is any room in the class, offers will be made then. Vacancies which occur after that time will be filled as they occur.

All accepted students must be checked in at 8am on Aug 1. Those not checked in will lose their seats and DCOM will contact alternates by phone. Those alternates offered a seat at that time must be there within 24 hours.

I wish this were more encouraging, but there it is. Use this thread to share information and to commiserate with others in your shoes. You are not alone.

Members don't see this ad.

:eek: OH WOW!!!! I thought that there were a lot more spots that were still available. EEK!:scared: Well, I have my fingers crossed for all of you. LOTS OF LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :love:

An e-mail received from Paul Carney yesterday contained the following information which may be of interest to DCOM alternates.

The admissions committee will meet after the Memorial Day weekend to review the alternate list. If there is any room in the class, offers will be made then. Vacancies which occur after that time will be filled as they occur.

All accepted students must be checked in at 8am on Aug 1. Those not checked in will lose their seats and DCOM will contact alternates by phone. Those alternates offered a seat at that time must be there within 24 hours.

I wish this were more encouraging, but there it is. Use this thread to share information and to commiserate with others in your shoes. You are not alone.

I wonder what "near capacity" is. Anyways, looks like the SDNers who ended up applying later got the shaft. :laugh:

For once your post isn't in reference to me. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
that seems like a really really harsh policy regarding accepted students!

I just got off the phone with Paul Carney and he told me the same thing. He didn't tell how full the class was, but he did say it was almost full and they would look at the final numbers after Memorial Day weekend.

that seems like a really really harsh policy regarding accepted students!

I read somehwere that comes up or if there is a conflict with the day, to let them know immediately. It is mandatory, but they are a really great group of people and are very willing to help out. I just don't know how someone could pack up and move to TN in 24 hours!!! :eek:

actually...thats a typical and fair policy. I am pretty sure if I was waitlisted and DCOM offered me, I would find a way to be there within 24 hrs. You can move in later, as long as you are physically there, youre in.

actually...thats a typical and fair policy. I am pretty sure if I was waitlisted and DCOM offered me, I would find a way to be there within 24 hrs. You can move in later, as long as you are physically there, youre in.

I am pretty sure this is the case. Even if you had to drive through the night, and showed up in dirty jeans and a torn shirt after your run in with a grizzly bear, at least you would be able to hold you seat.

Well, I am really glad that I have my spot, because I don't think it would be possible to move four kids, two dogs, two cats, and a husband in 24 hours.:smuggrin: :laugh:

But, I have heard similar stories where people got in last minute to schools and basically had to throw things in a suitcase and leave.

I forgot to add the part about running out of gas on hwy 33 and having to hoof it the rest of the way before getting mauled by the bear, but you guys get the picture.:D

I forgot to add the part about running out of gas on hwy 33 and having to hoof it the rest of the way before getting mauled by the bear, but you guys get the picture.:D

Wait...there are bears down there...?!?!? :scared: :scared: :scared:

*starts unpacking boxes* :laugh:

They are probably just overgrown hogs.

0_21_072804_hogzilla.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a guy at my school who got waitlisted, so he decided to take a vacation in late July. While he was out of the country, he missed his call for acceptance. They passed him up, and he had to re-apply the next year. It really does happen

There was a guy at my school who got waitlisted, so he decided to take a vacation in late July. While he was out of the country, he missed his call for acceptance. They passed him up, and he had to re-apply the next year. It really does happen

He was an idiot for leaving the country while being on the WL. He got what was coming to him ...

Wait...there are bears down there...?!?!? :scared: :scared: :scared:

*starts unpacking boxes* :laugh:

I KNOW your kidding! There are bears and they can cause problems in the Fall when they are trying to load up for hibernation. Being on a farm, I hope you know/will know how to deal with this. :laugh:

Wow, this is really bad news. I didn't know they were going to waitlist so many people with so few spots left available in the class...and they are going to wait until the 29th to even look at us! Ugh! Well, good luck to everyone! I hope we get a little longer than 24 hours, but even so, I will be there with bells on!

I KNOW your kidding! There are bears and they can cause problems in the Fall when they are trying to load up for hibernation. Being on a farm, I hope you know/will know how to deal with this. :laugh:

LOL! Yes, totally kidding. There are bears in NY too anyway.:D :laugh:

My internal med physician had two days (I think) to get from Wisconsin to Omaha when he finally got pulled.

Ended up 2nd in his class. :)

Apparently didn't rock the boards ...

So, what does MIL stand for?

Mother in Law?

Man in Line?

Man in Love?

Man is Loser?

Mother is Loser?

Mother is Loving?

sorry, I just got a tad bit bored ...

So, what does MIL stand for?

Mother in Law?

Man in Line?

Man in Love?

Man is Loser?

Mother is Loser?

Mother is Loving?

sorry, I just got a tad bit bored ...

I'm gonna go with the first one.

They are probably just overgrown hogs.

0_21_072804_hogzilla.jpg

Hogzilla!! Too bad he was nothing more than a lie. Stupid discovery channel ruining everything... :(

I'm gonna go with the first one.

Hogzilla!! Too bad he was nothing more than a lie. Stupid discovery channel ruining everything... :(
They said he was real, and very big, but not as big as the rumors were originally, but he was still 8 feet long! Could you imagine something 8 feet long and that ugly running after you?

(Cue the bad jokes and slander)

They said he was real, and very big, but not as big as the rumors were originally, but he was still 8 feet long! Could you imagine something 8 feet long and that ugly running after you?

(Cue the bad jokes and slander)

(Cue the bevis and butthead laughter)

I know. Even though 8 ft is pretty damn big, it was just a dissapointment because I wanted 12 ft like they were boasting. And no, I wouldn't want something like that chasing me.

Well, since I'm in at tourocom-NY, I won't hold my breath. Getting an apartment in NYC is a daunting task. $1500/ month on 25k left over after tuition is scary too, not to mention 2500 just for a brokers fee. I know my numbers are competitive, just couldn't seem to get over the hump with LMU. An easy day's drive it would be much more convenient and all... but a medical education in NYC is a redeeming circumstance. So...who knows?

Well, since I'm in at tourocom-NY, I won't hold my breath. Getting an apartment in NYC is a daunting task. $1500/ month on 25k left over after tuition is scary too, not to mention 2500 just for a brokers fee. I know my numbers are competitive, just couldn't seem to get over the hump with LMU. An easy day's drive it would be much more convenient and all... but a medical education in NYC is a redeeming circumstance. So...who knows?

You weren't that tall dude who coaches basketball were you?

Did he send this to everyone or just to those who contacted him??

I was sent that info in an email only after I emailed him about waitlist movement. I could tell it was a standardized email where he just typed in my name, because he didn't address all of my questions directly.

what is everyone doing to increase their chances of getting off the waitlist? 150 is a big waitlist number.

I was sent that info in an email only after I emailed him about waitlist movement. I could tell it was a standardized email where he just typed in my name, because he didn't address all of my questions directly.

what is everyone doing to increase their chances of getting off the waitlist? 150 is a big waitlist number.
I am on the waitlist for DCOM and do not know what to do with, but to wait patiently with fingers crossed and hoping for no whammies....

I am on the waitlist for DCOM and do not know what to do with, but to wait patiently with fingers crossed and hoping for no whammies....

If you look at the LMU-DCOM thread in Osteo there is some info about people coming off the alternate list. They are saying 1-2 people a wk...check it out for more info.

If you look at the LMU-DCOM thread in Osteo there is some info about people coming off the alternate list. They are saying 1-2 people a wk...check it out for more info.

Thanks for the update. I have all my fingers and toes crossed to come off the alternate list.

mr. carney's email said that they would review apps after memorial day weekend, and that's now! so let's hope we all hear back soon!!:D

hello all!
I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of you guys still waiting:luck:
I am applying in a week so waiting will begin for me too. I hope to see ya all in DCOM. It's going to be a fantastic school:D
Just keep up the good attitude, and I am sure it will work:)
:luck::luck::luck:

thanks dr. kicia!!
it's hard to maintain sanity, i jump every time my phone rings between the hours of 9-5 hoping it's good news :oops:

yeah i totally hear ya!
But remeber that the closer it will be to the beggining of the semmester the more waitlist movement there will be. There are many ppl who may be on waitlist at their top choices and ultimately will withdraw from DCOM at some point if they are offered a seat somewhere they rather go...it's still early.
Keep up the hope:luck:

Hey I was just wondering what everyone is doing to stand out from the waitlist. Are youguys keeping in contact with Paul a lot? I sent a letter of intent, but I don't want to nag them, even though all I want to do is call/email everyday and see if my status has changed. hahaha.

Any idea how often they will meet to discuss waitlisters? Still a Thursday meeting? or discussed as needed?

Yesterday, my son-in-law (who is waitlisted at DCOM) and daughter visited the school and spoke with Paul Carney. Apparently, from now on the procedure will be that as soon as someone withdraws, the committee will meet immediately to select a replacement from the waitlist. The class was full as of yesterday. The waitlist will be divided into three groups. The upper group will consist of those with higher MCATS and GPA's who live within an eight hour drive of the school and have expressed an intention to practice in Appalachia. The middle group will be non-locals with higher MCATs and GPAs and the lower group will be non-locals with lower MCATs and GPAs. Mr. Carney didn't specify what was considered high or low scores and grades. They anticipate, but cannot predict with any certainty 1-2 withdrawals every one to two weeks. They thought that rate of attrition would be steady throughout the summer. Mr. Carney was apparently very cordial and happy to talk to my son-in-law, but not encouraging either. I am posting this information with my son-in-laws blessing because he knows how hungry you all are for information. Good luck, everyone.

WOW thank you so so SO much for that info!! :D
that's really encouraging for some us that are within that 8 hr driving distance!! thanks for restoring some hope in us.

WOW thank you so so SO much for that info!! :D
that's really encouraging for some us that are within that 8 hr driving distance!! thanks for restoring some hope in us.

It's about now that I wish I didn't live in Utah. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist

i'm pulling for you businessman, you're my superduper waitlist buddy. we'll both be in by the end of the summer, i have hope!

i'm pulling for you businessman, you're my superduper waitlist buddy. we'll both be in by the end of the summer, i have hope!

Thanks lala!!! That is what I'm hoping for too! You're my superduper waitlist buddy too! Here's to hoping!!!

I just got off the phone with Paul Carney. I asked him about the waitlist. He told me that the wiatlist wasn't ranked yet. He also said that when a spot becomes available they will look at all 150 waitlisters. Two different stories about the waitlist.... so take it for what it's worth. Paul said 3 people had come off the waitlist so far.

Wow!!! I have not been on here in a while, but its so funny how many rumers get put on this forum!

Thank you for the update Businessman. I am trying to be patient, but like lala, I also jump everytime my phone rings praying that its DCOM! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! And lala! My interview buddy! I hope we all get in!!! My mom just moved to virginia, so I hope that I can be close to TN soon, even if I dont get in this time around...Have any of you thought about reapplying yet for next year or are you waiting until after classes start in august?

I just got off the phone with Paul Carney. I asked him about the waitlist. He told me that the wiatlist wasn't ranked yet. He also said that when a spot becomes available they will look at all 150 waitlisters. Two different stories about the waitlist.... so take it for what it's worth. Paul said 3 people had come off the waitlist so far.

Congratulations!!! I hope to see you this year, but if not, I will next year for sure...I am retaking the MCAT in July and Hopefully will be in an SMP in august...and I am applying very early this time around! That was my mistake last year...I think I submitted my AACOMAS in March! So I definately learned my lesson ...waitlists are no fun! I will go to DCOM...no matter what it takes!!

haha I was accepted in november. So you will def see me this year or next:cool: