DDS on your ID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anteater831

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question: Do all of you put DDS on say your driver's license, or credit card? License plate? What is your view of that? Do you put it on your signature in an email? I am just wondering. I see it all the time on email's from master degree ppl. Or do you not care?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard don't put it on your license plate. If you get into an accident people will assume you have lots of money.

I guess for the same reason you should not put it on your license either.

I just started using it for my internet posts...

ShawnOne D.D.S.

:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what about having it sewn on pillows, does that count for anything? :zip:

Why would I want it on a credit card, license plate, or driver license? Why would I need to tell anyone who might need to look at those that I am a dentist? Because I have a fragile ego?

I think my DMD is my credential to practice dentistry, and I will use it where appropriate (signing Rx's, charts). I don't get it when people sign their restaurant check "DMD". Yeah, I understand you worked for it and earned it, but lots of people have earned their bachelors too, and I don't see them signing B.S. or B.A.

It's really up to you whether you want to proclaim to the world that you're a dentist. It's one thing to be proud of your accomplishments, but I personally don't think it's necessary in most situations except for ones in which your degree has some relevance. Business cards, dental publications, and maybe autographs for all the dental fans out there seem appropriate. But does the cashier at Best Buy really need to know you're a dentist when you're buying a that plasma tv? When you go to a restaurant and there's a wait, are you going to really want to put your name down as John Smith DDS? What's the point?

thanks for the opinions. I personally do not have anything besides my degree that says DDS on it. I had a discussion about it with a friend b/c he got a wierd look when paying for some dvd's at bestbuy with his CC.

But we can do whatever we want whether we have it on there or not.

My Dad is a construction worker and he puts it on everything:

Jon Doe, AA degree, construction worker