DDS or DMD in e-mail as a student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey current dental students,

I am not quite a dental student yet, but will be come July 2009. Just to plan ahead, I went ahead and reserved a few e-mail addresses from yahoo and gmail I thought I might want to use once I become a dentist.

My question is, is it wrong to use an e-mail address such as "johndoedds@gmail", "[email protected]", "[email protected]" before I get my license?

I would like to start getting used to using these e-mail addresses but understand why it may be a problem. If so, I would just have to shelf them for three years.

Any input/advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I wouldn't even use a personal e-mail address containing "dr" or "dds/dmd" even after graduating from dental school. Personally, I don't plan on advertising the fact that I'm a doc unless for professional reasons. Just seems douchebaggery to me.

Kinda like the MD's that walk to starbucks in their white coats when it's 90 degrees outside. Please.

Hup

Honestly, I wouldn't even use a personal e-mail address containing "dr" or "dds/dmd" even after graduating from dental school. Personally, I don't plan on advertising the fact that I'm a doc unless for professional reasons. Just seems douchebaggery to me.

Kinda like the MD's that walk to starbucks in their white coats when it's 90 degrees outside. Please.

Hup

Really? I never looked at it that way. The two doctors I have worked for both use it in their e-mails that we correspond with both personally and for business. They don't come off wrong in any manner using "dds" in their e-mail and in fact made it seem as if it was the norm to me...that is why I made a few. Its almost good marking in my opinion...we have had many new patients who were friends or "friends of friends" who came because they found out they were dentists via e-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am not quite a dental student yet, but will be come July 2009. Just to plan ahead, I went ahead and reserved a few e-mail addresses from yahoo and gmail I thought I might want to use once I become a dentist.

My question is, is it wrong to use an e-mail address such as "johndoedds@gmail", "[email protected]", "[email protected]" before I get my license?

I would like to start getting used to using these e-mail addresses but understand why it may be a problem. If so, I would just have to shelf them for three years.

listen, putting DDS or DMD after your name has to be earned, you have not earned the right to "play" doctor, not even in an e-mail, that is foolish, disrespectful, and unprofessional!

douschebaggery in the previous post may be fitting

Really? I never looked at it that way. The two doctors I have worked for both use it in their e-mails that we correspond with both personally and for business. They don't come off wrong in any manner using "dds" in their e-mail and in fact made it seem as if it was the norm to me...that is why I made a few. Its almost good marking in my opinion...we have had many new patients who were friends or "friends of friends" who came because they found out they were dentists via e-mail.

BUT, your NOT A DENTIST.

YOUR NOT A DDS OR DMD.

writing it after your name is unprofessional and probably illegal because you are holding yourself out to be a doctor when you are not!

listen, putting DDS or DMD after your name has to be earned, you have not earned the right to "play" doctor, not even in an e-mail, that is foolish, disrespectful, and unprofessional!

douschebaggery in the previous post may be fitting

BUT, your NOT A DENTIST.

YOUR NOT A DDS OR DMD.

writing it after your name is unprofessional and probably illegal because you are holding yourself out to be a doctor when you are not!

dont be foolish.

I think your dental school is driving you crazy.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=587772

Looking at your situation, i really want to reconsider my decision. Lesser loans or a happy dental school experience.

Looking at your situation, i really want to reconsider my decision. Lesser loans or a happy dental school experience.[/quote]

well see that is the problem!

The administration in most dental schools is seperate from the actual professors and clinical staff.

for example, when I interviewed at my school I met three of the nicest people in my life (THEY WERE GOOD AT THEIR JOBS!) and they made me feel and home and want to come to the school.

7 months after I got accepted I arrived at school and started classes and guess what?

6 professors which I had never met before were teaching the first semesters 6 classes and 4 of them were pricks!!!

Furthermore, Im in my 4th year now and guess what? The 3 people that I interviewed with and met originally - I have seen them no more than 3 times over the last 3 years.

So what I am saying is if you don't know someone at the school (should be a student!) then you really can't gauge what you are getting into!!!!

and maybe dental school is driving me crazy, but rest assured I will not put DDS/DMD on my e-mail address until I have EARNED it! (actually I probably never will, I think its shallow of people).

6 people in my class failed out of school and are gone, wouldnt they have felt bad if they had been calling themselves doctors all that time?

geeze guys, chill out.

The reason why I created this thread was to get advice. If i really wanted to be such a douchebag I wouldn't of bothered to even make this thread and would have just done it.

Again, calm down folks, i'm not here to disrespect the very people I will be colleagues with in the future. Read my original post....like I said...I can just can the e-mail for three years and not use it, no problem at all.

edit: sajjy, you are right, verticalbite has lost his mind. Suicide? Negativity? Depression? I highly suggest you seek mental help....doesn't the school have a shrink?

I was reading your responses to this thread and couldn't see where the hostility came from and thought you were crazy, then sajjy pointed out that you are the same one that started the committing suicide thread on the pre-dental forums....I thought that person was losing his mind and crazy too...turns out to be the same person! What a coincidence.

well see that is the problem!

The administration in most dental schools is seperate from the actual professors and clinical staff.

for example, when I interviewed at my school I met three of the nicest people in my life (THEY WERE GOOD AT THEIR JOBS!) and they made me feel and home and want to come to the school.

7 months after I got accepted I arrived at school and started classes and guess what?

6 professors which I had never met before were teaching the first semesters 6 classes and 4 of them were pricks!!!

Furthermore, Im in my 4th year now and guess what? The 3 people that I interviewed with and met originally - I have seen them no more than 3 times over the last 3 years.

So what I am saying is if you don't know someone at the school (should be a student!) then you really can't gauge what you are getting into!!!!

and maybe dental school is driving me crazy, but rest assured I will not put DDS/DMD on my e-mail address until I have EARNED it! (actually I probably never will, I think its shallow of people).

6 people in my class failed out of school and are gone, wouldnt they have felt bad if they had been calling themselves doctors all that time?

Seriously dude which school are you in?
Yes i agree you cannot judge a school based on the few people you meet on the interview day.
Did you talk to the students at your school when you were deciding?

Don't listen to these people. You reserve those names now!! And don't stop with email addresses. Get yourself the url of your name as well.

Since you're going to Pacific, I'd go with DDS. That is my only recommendation. Maybe they didn't mention it during your brainwashing/interview...it's a DDS awarding school.

And don't actually use it while you are in school...that is lame. Even afterwards....borderline lame. But then you can use [email protected] so it's all moot anyway. Looks like you might have to fight some religious freak for that url though.

If you do use it during school, you will fit in well with some other Pacific people who already use the DDS title in their email. I used to have an email that suggested I was already a dentist and then I stopped using it because I came to my senses.

Seriously dude which school are you in?
Yes i agree you cannot judge a school based on the few people you meet on the interview day.
Did you talk to the students at your school when you were deciding?

well thats another thing.......

Obviously schools only ASK the students who they know will say good things about the school to come to the interview sessions. (youll find this out later)
AND
these students are usually the president and vice president of the class or they will pick some other nerd (whose main goal is to kiss their butts in expectation of a future residency).

When I say to ask students what they think, I don't mean the students who are there at the interviews. These students are IN NO WAY representative of the class!

I mean you should ask someone you know!

for example, the students told me that gettin patients was not a problem at all. That was a lie! They were seniors and that year 17/48 of the students did not graduate on time because they didn't have enough procedures done because they didn't have enough patients.

my best advice would be this:

1. go to the cheapest school.

2. If possible go to a school close to home, you will need your family once you get to the clinic, otherwise you will have a difficult time gettin patients. (thats been my experience and others in my school)

Don't listen to these people. You reserve those names now!! And don't stop with email addresses. Get yourself the url of your name as well.

Since you're going to Pacific, I'd go with DDS. That is my only recommendation. Maybe they didn't mention it during your brainwashing/interview...it's a DDS awarding school.

And don't actually use it while you are in school...that is lame. Even afterwards....borderline lame. But then you can use [email protected] so it's all moot anyway. Looks like you might have to fight some religious freak for that url though.

If you do use it during school, you will fit in well with some other Pacific people who already use the DDS title in their email. I used to have an email that suggested I was already a dentist and then I stopped using it because I came to my senses.

Thanks SaxyDucky, much appreciated advice :D

I'm in no rush to use them but I think you are thinking what I was thinking: marketing and preparing for my future. I will indeed reserve my url too that is a very good idea. Both my current doctors use their name as their web url and we get a lot of traffic from it thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks SaxyDucky, much appreciated advice :D

I'm in no rush to use them but I think you are thinking what I was thinking: marketing and preparing for my future. I will indeed reserve my url too that is a very good idea. Both my current doctors use their name as their web url and we get a lot of traffic from it thanks for the advice!

so???? your going to market yourself as a dentist eventhough you haven't started dental school yet?

:laugh:

hey it makes sense to me.

my new email is going to be:

brainsurgeon@jonDDSMBAneurosurgeonMD eventhough I havn't started med school yet.:laugh::thumbup::laugh::smuggrin:

so???? your going to market yourself as a dentist eventhough you haven't started dental school yet?

:laugh:

hey it makes sense to me.

my new email is going to be:

brainsurgeon@jonDDSMBAneurosurgeonMD eventhough I havn't started med school yet.:laugh::thumbup::laugh::smuggrin:

How did you get into dental school, seriously?

What did you get on reading comprehension as well?

Geeze man....read carefully or don't respond at all.

Yes, I am going to use it for marketing, no I am not going to use it for marketing now...not until I finish school.

Hell, do what you want. At this point I'd even throw a "Dr." in there with "DMD" just for that tear-baby above who keeps whining.

My point is I don't care what this guys e-mail address is. President, doctor, DDS, pimp, whatever. It's not a business card.

Last edited:

First of all, for what reason would you need to use an email address such as this before you get your license?

To Contact patients? Use the one the school provides and add a signature to the bottom (Name, Student Dentist, ph:###)

The best email can you can reserve is [email protected], you can use that for all purposes.

Having an email that says DMD or DDS doesn't mean jack, its your actions as a doc and (having a current state board license).

Just focus on school.

i think it is kind of weird to have dds or dmd in your email. just use your name. are you really going to gain patients with a dds in your email address? that just sounds lame. and you reserved a few from yahoo and gmail? how many emails do you need? i think it a lot classier to use just a first and last name in the email. you are going to be a professional, and no need to flaunt your degree. have the dds on your business cards, but you don't need it in your email.

I wouldn't put DDS in my email address for the same reason many professionals do not put DDS or MD on their credit cards. It's stupid and unprofessional in my opinion.

I wouldn't put DDS in my email address for the same reason many professionals do not put DDS or MD on their credit cards. It's stupid and unprofessional in my opinion.

I AGREE 100% WITH YOU!!!

IF HE DOES PUT DDS AFTER HIS E-MAIL (NOTE: HE HASNT EVEN STARTED DENTAL SCHOOL YET) THEN HE IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND WILL GET A BIG LAUGH FROM EVERYONE :laugh:

If it's your business email address at your job or practice, then [email protected] would be fine. But other than that, you just look like a showoff. You have three years of dental school ahead of you, don't start reserving email addresses already, they'll be inactive by then anyways. WAY to early and presumptuous.:barf:

bad idea. not that's it's unprofessional, it's just bad taste, thats all. you're just all caught up in the moment lke any freshmen anywhere in the country; you go to the bookstore and buy out everything w/ your school logo etc.....haha reality will set in soon and being in d-school will just be life. you'll get the title soon enough, but hold off on the DDS2012 licence plates. :) congrats on getting in, its a big moment, enjoy it, but try not to get carried away.

bad idea. not that's it's unprofessional, it's just bad taste, thats all. you're just all caught up in the moment lke any freshmen anywhere in the country; you go to the bookstore and buy out everything w/ your school logo etc.....haha reality will set in soon and being in d-school will just be life. you'll get the title soon enough, but hold off on the DDS2012 licence plates. :) congrats on getting in, its a big moment, enjoy it, but try not to get carried away.
Best post of the thread. :thumbup:

just use your school email. wtf

haha, this thread is ridiculous.

poor dino...good thing you're going to pacific. In general no one will care enough about anything in general let alone your email address to even bring it up.

As long as you are not using the title "Dr.--DDS or DMD" fraudulently, i.e., in a way that a reasonable person would be deceived about your qualifications, it is not illegal. Therefore it may or may not be okay to use it as your personal email address, depending on how the email is used.

I agree with most of the above posts. Putting "Dr" or "DDS" in your email address for professional reasons does seem silly. I might consider doing it for an email addy only to be used among friends/family...maybe. [email protected]?

...well, maybe not.

Interestingly, most of the time I agree with this but for my practice credit card I will probably put DDS after my last name because it establishes me as the business owner but I won't whip it out at restaurants either. Of course " NMBR 1DDS " will be on my licensce plates on my purple porsche!

Vertical Bite needs to rip that stick out of his you-know-what, everytime I read something from that troll its spiteful, hurtful, negative, or all three. For someone who seems to have such a loathing for SDN you wonder why he'd continue to stalk the threads.