DDS, PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t-money

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am a junior in college right now and it looks like those dental applications are about begin again. So I was wondering if anyone knows what schools have the DDS, PhD program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I am a junior in college right now and it looks like those dental applications are about begin again. So I was wondering if anyone knows what schools have the DDS, PhD program?

Thanks

Off the top of my head I believe that Maryland and OSU both have a joint DMD/PhD program.

Off the top of my head I believe that Maryland and OSU both have a joint DMD/PhD program.

i would contact the schools you're interested in directly. lots of schools offer DDS/PhD, DDS/MS, DDS/MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
San Antonio has a program in place, with 5 or 6 enrolled now.

I think it's a 6-7 year track for both degrees.

I know Michigan has a 7 year DDS/PhD program, and I also met a student that did one at Baylor too.

UCSF actually offers 2 different DDS/PhD tracks now. A change not yet reflected on the NIDCR link.

I'm in the DMD/PhD program at UAB at Birmingham. The program takes 6 years and it is headed my Mary MacDougall (who used to run the program in San Antonio). It was the only school that I found advertising a six year program. My PhD will be in biomedical engineering, but there are other students in pathology and genetics. They expect a strong research background or stellar stats to be accepted, but once you are in, the program is very enjoyable and the stipend allows you to live very comfortably. They give no preference to in-state residents (I'm from Chicago-ish). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My email is [email protected].

Nate

ooo....I guess I haven't used this for a while...but all my signature info is old...I was planning on going to upenn, but then I changed my mind at the last minute (bye bye $1000 deposit)

I'm in the DMD/PhD program at UAB at Birmingham. The program takes 6 years and it is headed my Mary MacDougall (who used to run the program in San Antonio). It was the only school that I found advertising a six year program. My PhD will be in biomedical engineering, but there are other students in pathology and genetics. They expect a strong research background or stellar stats to be accepted, but once you are in, the program is very enjoyable and the stipend allows you to live very comfortably. They give no preference to in-state residents (I'm from Chicago-ish). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My email is [email protected].

Nate

ooo....I guess I haven't used this for a while...but all my signature info is old...I was planning on going to upenn, but then I changed my mind at the last minute (bye bye $1000 deposit)

DMD & PhD in six years. Does not compute.

You're not getting the full experience in one of these programs. I'm looking at you... PhD.

Baylor has DDS/PhD and DDS/MS programs.

You got to smoke a lot of cracks in order to graduate with a PhD, in bioengineering, and a dmd in 6 yrs.

I should add that the people that are in the program now have started the summer before the school year starts. So the program is actually a summer longer than six years. The schools that offer DMD/PhD programs can justify the expedited degrees because, depending on the major, many of the dental school courses (biochem, anat/phys, biomaterials, etc) overlap with the PhD course requirements. Also, students can perform lab work and write up their thesis during free time from dental school, summers, and, obviously, the extra two years. It's not for everyone, but if you have the research background and academic ability to enter the program, the program treats you quite well. I've traveled across the states (and Germany) to present and do research, had my dental school and all my living expenses paid for, and been exposed to some top-notch research and researchers.

Sorry to go on about it, but when I saw that over 400 people have read this thread, I thought that I would add a little more. I know this might be obvious information, but when I was browsing through this website as a pre-dent, I ran into a lot of bad information and read many things that I later found out to be untrue. If you are sincerely interested (or just thinking about getting a DMD/PhD) I would encourage you to contact any of the schools that have the program (I know Baylor, UConn, Maryland, San Antonio, and UAB have them for sure..there are definitely others too). I can't speak for any other school, but I know you can send an email to Dr. MacDougall at UAB, she's extremely nice and would be very helpful.

Nate