DDS/PhD

Started by lida
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lida

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what is the benefit of DDS/ PhD over the DDS program? I know this program takes about seven years and instead people graduate with both DDS and oral biology PhD. Which one is better, spend 3 years for residency or oral biology PhD?( regarding the job opportunity and income after graduation?
 
lida said:
I was wondering what is the benefit of DDS/ PhD over the DDS program? I know this program takes about seven years and instead people graduate with both DDS and oral biology PhD. Which one is better, spend 3 years for residency or oral biology PhD?( regarding the job opportunity and income after graduation?
definitely not phd
 
lida said:
I was wondering what is the benefit of DDS/ PhD over the DDS program? I know this program takes about seven years and instead people graduate with both DDS and oral biology PhD. Which one is better, spend 3 years for residency or oral biology PhD?( regarding the job opportunity and income after graduation?

Hello,

The main purpose of getting a PhD is that if you want to be involved in an academia program such as doing reasearch or become a Head of a program as the PhD will give you tremendous edge. If one wants to be involved only in teaching dentistry, then a PhD would not be needed or encouraged. Remember that in academic, you do not get paid that much at all. The average salary for a typical dental school is as follows:

1. Instructor level - 30-40 K
2. Assistant Professor - 55-65K
3.Associate Professor - 75K
4.Full Professor - 85K
5.Section Head- 90K.

I was a tenured track Assistant Professor at UT for two years and I had to leave since it was hard for me to pay off my loans at 60K a year. DP