DDS vs DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

786mine

"Baby Bear"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a few threads on this topic, but could not find a specific answer. I tried to wiki the answer, but didn't find much info. Here is the question, I know DDS is for Doctrate in Dental Surgery, and DMD is for MD in Dental. Is there a specific difference b/w the two?

Members don't see this ad.

786mine said:
I saw a few threads on this topic, but could not find a specific answer. I tried to wiki the answer, but didn't find much info. Here is the question, I know DDS is for Doctrate in Dental Surgery, and DMD is for MD in Dental. Is there a specific difference b/w the two?

A DDS actually does dental surgery and a DMD just rounds on their pt's all day.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
captaintripps said:
DMD is better.

How is it better? That is what I am trying to understnad. The core difference. DDS is like a sub-branch of DMD or what?

just kidding, they are equivalent degrees. Just depends on which school you attend.

They are the same. There was a thread a couple of months back where someone explained the origins of the DMD (they all used to be DDS). Some people just think DMD sounds better because it has the MD. Either way don't let it change where you choose to go to school.

They are the same degree. The difference between the two degrees is the philosophy behind each one. The Baltimore College of Dental Surgery was the first to award the Doctor of Dental Surgery degree based on the philosophy that the skills of a surgeon are required to properly alter the physical characteristics of the dentition in such a way that the outcome would promote health. Harvard University awarded the first Doctor of Dental Medicine degree. Their reasoning was that the graduates would be involved in practicing the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases of the oral cavity.

786mine said:
I know DDS is for Doctrate in Dental Surgery, and DMD is for MD in Dental. Is there a specific difference b/w the two?
The only difference is the "s" stands for surgery and the "m" stands for medicine. The degrees are identical, it's just regional. DMD is not "MD for dentsitry" and has nothing to do with an MD. This is the confusion that DMD schools tried to benefit from when they first began offering this degree.

oms fan said:
They are the same degree. The difference between the two degrees is the philosophy behind each one. The Baltimore College of Dental Surgery was the first to award the Doctor of Dental Surgery degree based on the philosophy that the skills of a surgeon are required to properly alter the physical characteristics of the dentition in such a way that the outcome would promote health. Harvard University awarded the first Doctor of Dental Medicine degree. Their reasoning was that the graduates would be involved in practicing the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases of the oral cavity.

thanks, that explains a bit.

786mine said:
i did look at that thread, it didn't quite answer my question that is why I made a new thread. thanks for looking it up tho.

Harvard dental school started the DMD because all their degree titles are in latin. So, the conversion to the DMD made the latin translation similar to the MD one. After this, many other dental schools started to follow. The DMD is equal to the DDS...no difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a post about this a while back. It was in the "osteopathic" forum of all places. To provide context, someone ask if DMD=DDS is analogous to MD=DO. There were a few errors in the responses. So the post that I made tried to answer the question (the answer is no) while correcting the errors that were made.

Here is the link, followed by my post made on 10/01/03.

group_theory

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=84091&highlight=DMD

I agree in part and disagree in part to what JKDMed have stated.

The argument brought before this thread is whether it is correct to assume that the analogy of DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) is to DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) as DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) is to MD (Doctor of Medicine).

As drusso stated and affirmed by JKDMed, the DDS and DMD are the same degree. There is no inherent differences in philosophy, education, accreditation, curriculum, etc. The DO degree is meant to convey that the holder graduated from a different school of medicine, one that has a distinct philosophy, education, accreditation, curriculum to the conventional allopathic school of medicine (MD). Hence the US DO degree, the professional and legal equivalent to a US MD degree, is not the same degree.

JKDMed argued that the difference between DDS and DMD is in their latin spelling on the diploma. His argument, to make an analogy, is similar to the differences between a BA and AB, where the BA stands for Bachelor of Arts, and the AB stands for "Artium Baccalaureus". I disagree with his reasoning.

The latin translation of Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) is "Dentiste Medicinae Doctor", hence the DMD designation. The latin translation of Doctor of Dental Surgery is "Chirurgae Dentium Doctoris" or C.D.D if going by latin abbreviation. Ergo DMD is not the latin abbreviation for the Doctor of Dental Surgery degree.

The origin of the two different dental degrees originate in the 19th century. At the time, all dental schools conferred the Doctor of Dental Surgery degree (medicine and surgery were seperate discipline at the time). Harvard, which had a dental school awarded the DDS degree. However, since Harvard had a tradition of naming their degrees in latin, Harvard dental graduates held the C.D.D. initial in lieu of the DDS. Harvard decided to rename their degree "Dentiste Medicinae Doctor", to help their graduates while preserving their tradition of latin abbreviation. So the DMD is the latin abbreviation for Doctor of Dental Medicine (instead of DDM). This differ from JKDMed's arguement in that he argued that DMD was the latin abbreviation for the DDS. There was an actual name change in the degree which he failed to mention.

At the turn of the century, there were 57 dental schools in the United States, but only Harvard and Oregon awarded the DMD degree. As of 1989, 23 of 66 US Dental Schools and about half of Canadian Dental Schools confer the Dentiste Medicinae Doctor degree.

For the above stated reasons, the DDS and DMD are the same degree (different name) while the DO and MD degrees are equivalent but not the same.

References:
Crawford, P.R., "To be or not to be: DDS or DMD" Journal of the Canadian Dental Association (August 1989) 55(8):639-640.

Griggs, D., "The DDS vs. DMD situation" Journal of the American Dental Association (April 1974) 88(4):691-693.

Hillenbrand, H., "DDS or DMD: The glacial period" Journal of Dental Education (July 1972) 36(7):3.

Letter to the Editor, "The DDS-DMD issue" Journal of the American Dental Association (June 1974) 88(6):1241.

Robinson J.B., "DDS or DMD: Footnotes to dental history" Journal of Dental Education (January 1973) 37(1):17-20.

Ok just admit it, they invented DMD because the up-idy up coastal schools couldn't handle being an equal with all the other dental schools in the country so they needed to change something so they sounded cooler. (or so they thought).

north2southOMFS said:
Ok just admit it, they invented DMD because the up-idy up coastal schools couldn't handle being an equal with all the other dental schools in the country so they needed to change something so they sounded cooler. (or so they thought).
I admit it
Toofache, DDS

Zurik5 said:
I would suggest not listening to a word iudentist04 says. He's a tool, and will make a horrible dentist someday.

LOL what makes you say that? Bad past experiences?

group_theory said:
I made a post about this a while back. It was in the "osteopathic" forum of all places. To provide context, someone ask if DMD=DDS is analogous to MD=DO. There were a few errors in the responses. So the post that I made tried to answer the question (the answer is no) while correcting the errors that were made.

Here is the link, followed by my post made on 10/01/03.

group_theory

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=84091&highlight=DMD

I agree in part and disagree in part to what JKDMed have stated.

The argument brought before this thread is whether it is correct to assume that the analogy of DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) is to DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) as DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) is to MD (Doctor of Medicine).

As drusso stated and affirmed by JKDMed, the DDS and DMD are the same degree. There is no inherent differences in philosophy, education, accreditation, curriculum, etc. The DO degree is meant to convey that the holder graduated from a different school of medicine, one that has a distinct philosophy, education, accreditation, curriculum to the conventional allopathic school of medicine (MD). Hence the US DO degree, the professional and legal equivalent to a US MD degree, is not the same degree.

JKDMed argued that the difference between DDS and DMD is in their latin spelling on the diploma. His argument, to make an analogy, is similar to the differences between a BA and AB, where the BA stands for Bachelor of Arts, and the AB stands for "Artium Baccalaureus". I disagree with his reasoning.

The latin translation of Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) is "Dentiste Medicinae Doctor", hence the DMD designation. The latin translation of Doctor of Dental Surgery is "Chirurgae Dentium Doctoris" or C.D.D if going by latin abbreviation. Ergo DMD is not the latin abbreviation for the Doctor of Dental Surgery degree.

The origin of the two different dental degrees originate in the 19th century. At the time, all dental schools conferred the Doctor of Dental Surgery degree (medicine and surgery were seperate discipline at the time). Harvard, which had a dental school awarded the DDS degree. However, since Harvard had a tradition of naming their degrees in latin, Harvard dental graduates held the C.D.D. initial in lieu of the DDS. Harvard decided to rename their degree "Dentiste Medicinae Doctor", to help their graduates while preserving their tradition of latin abbreviation. So the DMD is the latin abbreviation for Doctor of Dental Medicine (instead of DDM). This differ from JKDMed's arguement in that he argued that DMD was the latin abbreviation for the DDS. There was an actual name change in the degree which he failed to mention.

At the turn of the century, there were 57 dental schools in the United States, but only Harvard and Oregon awarded the DMD degree. As of 1989, 23 of 66 US Dental Schools and about half of Canadian Dental Schools confer the Dentiste Medicinae Doctor degree.

For the above stated reasons, the DDS and DMD are the same degree (different name) while the DO and MD degrees are equivalent but not the same.

References:
Crawford, P.R., "To be or not to be: DDS or DMD" Journal of the Canadian Dental Association (August 1989) 55(8):639-640.

Griggs, D., "The DDS vs. DMD situation" Journal of the American Dental Association (April 1974) 88(4):691-693.

Hillenbrand, H., "DDS or DMD: The glacial period" Journal of Dental Education (July 1972) 36(7):3.

Letter to the Editor, "The DDS-DMD issue" Journal of the American Dental Association (June 1974) 88(6):1241.

Robinson J.B., "DDS or DMD: Footnotes to dental history" Journal of Dental Education (January 1973) 37(1):17-20.

wow that was a detailed post with much effort gone into it. overkill if you ask me, but none the less, good post. i will be talking to a dental faculty on Wed who is a graduate from Harvard and find out the exact difference. Does anyone want me to post our discussion here?

786mine said:
wow that was a detailed post with much effort gone into it. overkill if you ask me, but none the less, good post. i will be talking to a dental faculty on Wed who is a graduate from Harvard and find out the exact difference. Does anyone want me to post our discussion here?

No.

Group theory, thank you. I have been looking for an answer to the origin of DMD for some time, and have not been able to find a real answer. :D

786mine said:
How is it better? That is what I am trying to understnad. The core difference. DDS is like a sub-branch of DMD or what?
Exactly! DDS is a sub-sub-branch of DMD. It's also known as Doesn't Do **** :D

DMD came along after DDS. Kinda like DO's after MD. So think of a DMD as a DDS wannabe.

DDSs can not prescribe medication without DMDs signing it. Keep that in mind. :D

As I've posted in previous threads on this topic:

DDS = Didn't Do Sh&^

DMD = Didn't Make Doctor

:D :D :D

Myself personally, I'm a DMD and proud of it. Although in the 10 years now that I've been treating patients I could probaly count the numbers of times that I've been asked what DMD stands for, or what is the difference between a DMD and a DDS on one hand.

DrJeff said:
As I've posted in previous threads on this topic:

DDS = Didn't Do Sh&^

DMD = Didn't Make Doctor

:D :D :D

Myself personally, I'm a DMD and proud of it. Although in the 10 years now that I've been treating patients I could probaly count the numbers of times that I've been asked what DMD stands for, or what is the difference between a DMD and a DDS on one hand.

You were in dental school at freaking NINETEEN years old? I were clueless at 19, still am :D Man, you're a genius! oh, and probably loaded too :eek:

lnn2 said:
You were in dental school at freaking NINETEEN years old? I were clueless at 19, still am :D Man, you're a genius! oh, and probably loaded too :eek:

Nope, In dental school at 21, started treating patients 3rd year at 23, and 10 years, and voila, I'm 33 now(and currently working on the loaded part :D ;) ). As for the genious part, I married a gorgeous orthodontist, so I think I am a genious for that (HUGE spousal bonus points plug here :D ;) )

Yah-E said:
DDSs can not prescribe medication without DMDs signing it. Keep that in mind. :D

Yah-E remove your face from your avatar.

I heard from this guy i know that DMD is for people who couldn't get into DDS school.

Yah-E said:

you are kidding, right?

Yah-E said:

where did you get this mis-leading info?

786mine said:
where did you get this mis-leading info?
its just a joke, and its not funny either

Yah-E said:
And DDSs have to have DMDs polish their amalgams.

I'm sitting here with YahE watching the tourny and we were discussing this topic. We came to the conclusion that DMDs are the bomb and DDS are kinda like PAs. They are bitches to the real doctors, the DMDs. This is comming from some of the best students at Nova, so you better believe it.

JRogoff said:
I'm sitting here with YahE watching the tourny and we were discussing this topic. We came to the conclusion that DMDs are the bomb and DDS are kinda like PAs. They are bitches to the real doctors, the DMDs. This is comming from some of the best students at Nova, so you better believe it.
Only a DMD would have a wee-wee stuck to his palate.

toofache32 said:
Only a DMD would have a wee-wee stuck to his palate.

That is my wee-wee, but its not my palate, its your mom's.

Andy, aka, YahE, its the biggest tool bag on the planet.

how are all the previous six or more posts related to DDS vs DMD discussion?

786mine said:
how are all the previous six or more posts related to DDS vs DMD discussion?

All we're saying is that we DMD candidates have "wee-wee"s on our palates and are we're "tools"! Don't mind us.

But do remember, DMDs do make more money. :D

Yah-E said:
All we're saying is that we DMD candidates have "wee-wee"s on our palates and are we're "tools"! Don't mind us.

But do remember, DMDs do make more money. :D
More money than a gas station clerk, maybe. But only if the DDS supervising you lets you come back to assist chairside instead of just holding down the front desk chair.

(...oooooooooooh, them's fightin' words...)

aphistis said:
More money than a gas station clerk, maybe. But only if the DDS supervising you lets you come back to assist chairside instead of just holding down the front desk chair.

(...oooooooooooh, them's fightin' words...)

I have yet to see anyone from Indiana be able to pump their own gas, usually too busy sniffing it