DDS vs DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drpra86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a dental grad from india and just done with my NBDE .. i wanna start applying to colleges but I see there are some universities which offers DMD program for example university of purto rico.
So is the DMD program is same as DDS, is it recognized in all the 50 states of USA and if I graduate from Purto Rico Or maxico with DMD title, will I have to go through some additional exams or studies to practice in the United States?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

DMD and DDS are the exact same degree. There is literally no difference. DDS was first, but DMD is based on Harvard's love affair with Latin when they initiated their program. Some schools kept DDS, some chose DMD. There is absolutely NO difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
they did a famous survey and the population as a whole perceives DMDs more prestigious than DDS by like ~75%

DMD and DDS are the exact same degree. There is literally no difference. DDS was first, but DMD is based on Harvard's love affair with Latin when they initiated their program. Some schools kept DDS, some chose DMD. There is absolutely NO difference.

that was a helpful information. Even i wasn't aware of it.

same degree but DDS sounds way cooler

^Agreed. DDS has a ring to it.

I think it is stupid to have 2 different designations for basically the same degree. It's confusing to the public and it does nothing to help the profession. Even in this forum the question arises about the difference and it is turning into a pissing match as to which "sounds cooler". In my opinion, the DMD name was created in order to appear more like the MD designation, basically trying to imply that a DMD is more physician-like, i.e. a "real" doctor. Whatever. The profession should stick with one and be proud of it.

I think it is stupid to have 2 different designations for basically the same degree. It's confusing to the public and it does nothing to help the profession. Even in this forum the question arises about the difference and it is turning into a pissing match as to which "sounds cooler". In my opinion, the DMD name was created in order to appear more like the MD designation, basically trying to imply that a DMD is more physician-like, i.e. a "real" doctor. Whatever. The profession should stick with one and be proud of it.

Actually, it was created by Harvard because they give their degrees in Latin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10612944

"Fewer than 20% of those interviewed knew that a DDS and DMD received the same level of training. Of those who indicated there was a difference in training, 69% felt that DMDs had more training than DDSs. Since the majority of lay persons were confused about the two degrees, the establishment of one unified dental degree may contribute to a better public understanding of the education and capabilities of dentists."

I read a school's reason for their change from DDS to DMD was because they thought "Medicine" emphasized the preventative side of dentistry and "Surgery" emphasized the invasive side of dentistry. Because they believed dental care in the U.S. has largely transitioned to preventative dentistry, that particular school, which name I cannot recall, switched to DMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.