deadline for step 2 and match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donkeykong

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

How late can I write the step 2 and still be eligible for this year's match?

Members don't see this ad.

According to my med school advisors...
If you are at a US allopathic school and did well on Step 1, you don't need to take Step 2 before the match. You need to pass Step 2 before beginning residency, so taking it any later than April would be risky.
If you have a low/average Step 1 score, it might be to your advantage to take Step 2 now so programs can see your score before offering you an interview and/or ranking you.
From looking at residency websites, it has been my impression that most programs will not offer FMGs interviews without their having passed Step 2.

As noted above, some programs (whether the applicant is an IMG or not) require Step 2 for application purposes.

Figure it will take at least a few weeks to get your scores and have them submitted to ECFMG, who then needs to upload them to the ERAS server and forward them to the programs you've applied to. Then each program needs to download your scores for your file.

How late is too late depends on the deadlines for application. If you are applying to programs with a November 1 deadline - its too late. If your programs accept applications until Jan 1, you may still have time, but not much.