Deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woorimoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anybody who does not compelte SOPHAS application yet?
My deadlines is Dec.15 (Harvard), but I still cannot finish it, I am worried if I am late now. Maybe I can complete it in this weekend, but harvard recommeded applicatns to compelte the application till middle of Nov.

As much as I submit it later (even before the deadline), my admission posting is also delayed? Pleas give me advise

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your program rolling admissions? If it is, then it'll be to your benefit to submit as early as possible (so they can review it earlier). But otherwise, the only disadvantage I see in submitting on Dec. 15 is that they will process it later (may receive your package and process after Christmas break...)

When I asked Harvard last year they stated that they want the application in there hands by Dec 15th. That means your application has to be submitted to SOPHAS earlier since they take a long time to get the application out to the school. Last December I remember it was taking them 2-4 weeks to get your completed application out. This is why Harvard states you should submit it to SOPHAS in mid-Nov. It is a little unfair how it is set up and makes it difficult. They may still look at your application if it is in later but they will weigh in the fact that you submitted it late (meaning your chances will be lower than if it was on time) They may not even look at it.

I work for admissions in another degree program. The thought process: If this person cant submit their application on time is this person someone we actually want in the program? We want to accept people who can meet their deadlines and are applying because this decision has been well thought out and not just a last minute decision because something changed/came up. Usually their applications are not accpeted unless they are a stellar canidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, are you serious? Arg, SOPHAS is taking their sweet time mailing the applications... How often do they mail completed applications?

A lot of people say SOPHAS takes a long time to send applications out but atleast for one of my schools it took no time at all. I submitted my application to 6 schools on SOPHAS on Nov. 21st. They took about a week to process the application and verify it, then they said they would mail it out to the schools. They mailed all my apps out to schools on December 1st, and BU sent me an email yesterday (December 3rd) that they got my application and they would process it and send it to the admissions committee. That's pretty fast.

Interesting- seems that schools handle SOPHAS differently. I know that for Berkeley and others the deadline is the date they want it submitted to SOPHAS and this creates a lag- at Arizona, they don't even start processing applications until a month after the deadline, figuring I guess that it will take SOPHAS to process all that were submitted by the deadline. I guess Harvard handles this differently, which makes it tricky when you aren't quite sure what to expect w/r/t SOPHAS processing times.

They may have streamlined the process this year and that is why it is going quicker. Last year it seemed that people who got their application in to SOPHAS before Dec 1st got it processed quickly and those after took longer. Maybe because the volume increases by so much that it increases the turn around time.

I finished my application last night, and tody SOPHAS sent mail to me "Your application has now been Verified, and will be included in the next weekly mailing to your designated schools of public health if your payment and two references have been received", which means Harvard can receive my application next week?