Deadlines for Prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jadefire94

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know the deadlines for taking prerequisites? I know that some schools have different numbers as to how many prereq classes they expect you to have taken before applying... But is it OK if I apply my junior year and take one last prereq after I graduate (the summer before starting vet school)?

Here is my situation: I was planning on taking orgo this summer, but I also want to be an RA, so I can only take orgo I because of RA training over the summer. And biochemistry needs both semesters of orgo before you are allowed to take it at my school. Basically, I'm wondering if I can take biochem the summer after I graduate, right before vet school?
 
Does anyone know the deadlines for taking prerequisites? I know that some schools have different numbers as to how many prereq classes they expect you to have taken before applying... But is it OK if I apply my junior year and take one last prereq after I graduate (the summer before starting vet school)?

Here is my situation: I was planning on taking orgo this summer, but I also want to be an RA, so I can only take orgo I because of RA training over the summer. And biochemistry needs both semesters of orgo before you are allowed to take it at my school. Basically, I'm wondering if I can take biochem the summer after I graduate, right before vet school?
Most schools probably won't allow you to take something the summer before matriculation (it's normally only allowed to take pre-reqs up to and during your spring semester before you go to vet school). That being said, I would contact the schools you are interested in and ask, there's maybe a few that would permit it.
 
Do vet schools take into account how many pre-reqs you have let when applying? I'm getting my Bachelor's degree as a Junior so I don't think it will matter that much, just wondering if they looked at that.
 
Do vet schools take into account how many pre-reqs you have let when applying? I'm getting my Bachelor's degree as a Junior so I don't think it will matter that much, just wondering if they looked at that.
It depends on the school, though I would say it's less "taking into account" how many you have left and more setting a limit for how many you can do during your year before matriculation. Some schools don't care how many you have to do (I think I had 3-6 pre-reqs left to complete during my Junior year and I don't think it hindered me when I applied to those schools at all). Some, on the other hand, only let you do 2 science classes or 3 pre-reqs all together the year that you apply. This sort of thing is normally on their websites.