Deafness and Psychiatric practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably a bit of an odd question, but I have about 3 months or so to start making some major decisions on returning to study, so...

I'm partially deaf, it's something that runs in the family and my hearing will continue to deteriorate over time. Obviously whether I take the route of Psychology or go on to Medicine and a Fellowship in Psychiatry (I'm kind of hedging my bets either way) my preference is to practice Psychotherapy. How much of an impediment would hearing loss be to this pursuit, considering the loss may not be total for some time and can be helped by hearing aids to a point.

I've already had to make the decision to abandon the idea of going into Emergency Medicine due to physical limitations. I'm planning/hoping on starting an undergrad in Psychology in the next few months, and then applying for post grad in both Psychology Masters (or Post Grad Dip.) and post grad in Medicine (obviously my preferred outcome). I've considered going into research based work in the field instead, but that just seems so mathematically inclined and I don't feel like I'd really enjoy it. But then again I also don't want to put myself through the financial cost and stress of tertiary study (especially in something as competitive as medicine) if the end result is that I can't enter my field of choice and I've just ended up taking a space in the course away from someone else.

So yeah, deafness of varying degree levels -- kill the career before it even gets off the ground, or is it something that can be worked with/worked around?

Ducks in a row time.

Members don't see this ad.