MD Deal-breaker or no ? ( Social Intelligence in Med school )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I was really confused about the sitting next to each other thing.
Now that OP has clarified that he is indeed cheating.

To answer OP question. You should nevet trust a cheat. If shes willing to take the risks of cheating, why would you sincerely believe that she wouldnt
1) not share notes with you to take down the competition
2) return money that she borrowed
3) cheat alongside you only when its necessary for her

Surely you are not that naive?
If anything I would caution that someone at her skill level has probably taken the necessary precautions and is nowhere as stupid ignorant naive as you to

1) eradicate any traces of her cheating
2) be emotionally bothered with baggage like "friendship"
2) and especially not post on a public forum where you can be traced. And this is grounds for dismissal

On another note, man i remember that rampant cheating... people in large cliques discussing all these osce questions before taking the test. So obvious but the school never took action. To a certain extent im sure cheating is much more common in med school than undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OP's post a couple of years from now: "IA for cheating in undergrad do I have a shot!??? PLZ HELP!!"

And I'll just laugh.

Honestly this is why all med schools should be P/F. Eliminate stupid competitions -> "gunner mentality -> prone to cheating/backstab" so people can actually learn the damn material instead of taking shortcuts to maximize their scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
You two guys ( bannie, TRP ) are so stupid :D

For all you know , I could be a troll.
There goes your proof.

Honestly this is why all med schools should be P/F. Eliminate stupid competitions -> "gunner mentality -> prone to cheating/backstab" so people can actually learn the damn material instead of taking shortcuts to maximize their scores.

Or people could just be decent, honest human beings and not cheat. Not that hard to do.

Reactions: 5 users
You two guys ( bannie, TRP ) are so stupid :D

For all you know , I could be a troll.
There goes your proof.

Some cheat cell bio. Some get their feelings cheated.
Oh wells.

Reactions: 3 users
What kind of med school doesn't have screen covers and anti-cheating method implementations?

Unfortunately lots. My school makes zero effort to prevent cheating in pretty much any way shape or form, and it's quite embarrassing and frustrating.

Unfortunately lots. My school makes zero effort to prevent cheating in pretty much any way shape or form, and it's quite embarrassing and frustrating.
in that case the institution should also be held accountable. no worries though, there's a strong inverse correlation b/t cheating and USMLE Step scores, wards, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, you go to a school outside the US, right? The structure you're describing sounds like an abroad school

Yeah, suddenly all the moral warriors gathered to this post.

Sorry guys, but you're hypocrite. I've read threads here that were making fun of some subjects and certainly recognized that there are high-importance and there are also low-importance exams in Med school.
Y'all making these amazed reactions to what I wrote, but probably most of you know deep down that this is true. And don't tell me that I'm not gonna be a great doctor just because I look a bit aside in a low-yield exam, like Cell biology, while I get As and Bs in important courses, such as Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry.

So on one hand, it's fine to make jokes about how unimportant some subjects are and it's also fine to point out that the first 2 years have a poor organizational system, but on the other hand we start pointing guns at someone who tells that he's been using an unorthodox method in an irrelevant exam. This is hypocrisy.

Don't bother for further insults, I don't care about them anyway.

Thanks for those who answered well.

OK, skipping the entire ethics/cheating morality portion of this...

a) anyone who thinks that cell bio is of low importance to medical school knowledge doesn't seem to understand what med school is. Cell bio underpins a lot of what you learn, and they will expect you to have an understanding of cell bio concepts.
b) a 'low importance' class is the LAST thing you should take a high-stakes risk (cheating is high-stakes).

in that case the institution should also be held accountable. no worries though, there's a strong inverse correlation b/t cheating and USMLE Step scores, wards, etc.

I think that will be the case, but unfortunately preclinical grades are critical for AOA.

At least our high stakes exams are on computers decently spaced apart with screen protectors. But we often have "closed resource" quizzes we take online in class/lab and there's no accountability and anyone can google whatever they want during the quiz with no repurcussions. Dumb system as it rewards cheaters and hurts honest students. Schools should absolutely be held accountable when they make terrible administrative policies.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say right now is yikes. This forum is a shady, scary place lmao.

I think that will be the case, but unfortunately preclinical grades are critical for AOA.

At least our high stakes exams are on computers decently spaced apart with screen protectors. But we often have "closed resource" quizzes we take online in class/lab and there's no accountability and anyone can google whatever they want during the quiz with no repurcussions. Dumb system as it rewards cheaters and hurts honest students. Schools should absolutely be held accountable when they make terrible administrative policies.
Right , now that you mention it : at YOUR school ( and many others ) , there is a strong control system.
What would you do at a school in which there is a weak system and 50-60% of your mates cheat ?
You know, this makes me remember the documentary that was made about athletes : the performance enhancing drugs are a requirement now WORLDWIDE, even though athletes find methods to pass the drug tests of course, but the intriguing part was the question that the documentary raised - In a world in which your competition cheats all the time, what are your chances if you don't ?
"
Bigger, Stronger, Faster" ( 2008 ) - check it out.

Right , now that you mention it : at YOUR school ( and many others ) , there is a strong control system.
What would you do at a school in which there is a weak system and 50-60% of your mates cheat ?
You know, this makes me remember the documentary that was made about athletes : the performance enhancing drugs are a requirement now WORLDWIDE, even though athletes find methods to pass the drug tests of course, but the intriguing part was the question that the documentary raised - In a world in which your competition cheats all the time, what are your chances if you don't ?
"
Bigger, Stronger, Faster" ( 2008 ) - check it out.
Then they risk losing accreditation and a very poor Step performance across the boards (pun intended).

How is WUSTL as a college overall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP is a POS scumbag with no social intelligence. You come on here trying to bash some girl who isn't reciprocating you helping her. We then learn that you are trying to pressure her into letting you cheating off of her, justified as "lol you're all hypocrites" and "Cell bio isn't important lulz"

You're a preclinical medical student. You have essentially zero idea of what's important and what's not. You can certainly continue taking risks and cheating your way through, in your own words, a low-stakes class.

I don't go Burnett's law often, but I will here. You may get through medical school, but you will not be a good doctor if your attitude about cheating and general dishonesty doesn't change significantly. It's, IMO, one thing to cheat once, it's another to make it a routine event (in any class, in any situation), to the point where you get upset when somebody doesn't help you cheat, and you come to an online forum to blast them, only to get destroyed by the remainder of the forum. Hope you drop-out or change your attitude pretty aggressively, otherwise we'll find your name, in the news, attached to a narcotics pill mill in about 15-20 years.

Reactions: 5 users
OP is.....
You poor creature.
Better learn to read carefully and interpret a written text that is not Medicine.
Perhaps you still have a chance to get the point, if you re-read the text 67 times minimum. If not, just give up.
Not everyone is meant to have brains or balls.

OP is a POS scumbag with no social intelligence. You come on here trying to bash some girl who isn't reciprocating you helping her. We then learn that you are trying to pressure her into letting you cheating off of her, justified as "lol you're all hypocrites" and "Cell bio isn't important lulz"

You're a preclinical medical student. You have essentially zero idea of what's important and what's not. You can certainly continue taking risks and cheating your way through, in your own words, a low-stakes class.

I don't go Burnett's law often, but I will here. You may get through medical school, but you will not be a good doctor if your attitude about cheating and general dishonesty doesn't change significantly. It's, IMO, one thing to cheat once, it's another to make it a routine event (in any class, in any situation), to the point where you get upset when somebody doesn't help you cheat, and you come to an online forum to blast them, only to get destroyed by the remainder of the forum. Hope you drop-out or change your attitude pretty aggressively, otherwise we'll find your name, in the news, attached to a narcotics pill mill in about 15-20 years.

Tell us how you really feel.

Right, but what would you do as a student ?
I've been in a similar situation. I did not cheat. So that is not only what I would do, it's what I actually do.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been in a similar situation. I did not cheat. So that is not only what I would do, it's what I actually do.
So you rather see how a big portion of your class gets 90%+ on exams, while you study and risk to not get even 80%.
Especially US folks , where grades are so important.

So you rather see how a big portion of your class gets 90%+ on exams, while you study and risk to not get even 80%.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying in this post. Would you mind rephrasing it?

The girl used the prior exams because there's no risk to that. Blatantly copying off her exam could get you both an IA. Just because she's a cheater doesn't mean she's dumb enough to risk getting caught.

If you get into medical school, you'll realize that some cheating can happen there as well, but the ones that cheat in medical school are never the top students. I usually had the best grades back in undergraduate so there was no need to cheat - if I copied the person next to me, chances were much more likely that they were wrong than me. I get that not everyone is a top student and the pressure is high to cheat when you are in a struggling situation. I'm not top anymore either. But you should strive to be that person and constantly try to improve - you'll never become smarter by cheating. It will help you not only do better on the MCAT and boards but also make you a better future physician.

If you cheat in Cell Bio, you'll cheat in any class.
I came from a university where old exams were prevalent (all 120 students in organic Chem had them) so I don't care about that. Professors are aware that the class has them, and that's why they alter exams each year. Ironically, the class averages were still around 65% (no curve).
In this class I did exactly what this girl did to you. A "friend" asked me to help him cheat, and I shunned him for the rest of the year. It was a self-protective move, since it could get me expelled as well. Sounds like you're the douche who's expecting others to put their life on the line so you can get an unearned "A".
There is published data that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students, which is why we all take Professionalism so seriously, especially my clinical colleagues. I guess that's why it's a required core competency for both LCME, COCA, AOA and ACGME.

Reactions: 2 users
If you didn't want to learn basic science you should've become a mid level. Physicians are the bridge between lab and bedside. With the future of medicine becoming more and more at the genetic and microscopic level, not getting the foundation every other doctor gets means you're just cheating yourself.

@Slytheryn , I'd counsel you to engage in introspection. Something seems aberrant about your responses in this thread, I suspect venting/lashing out secondary to feelings of betrayal. You are getting in pointless arguments in a manner that doesn't reflect well on you. Hopefully this character of behavior is abnormal for you, and you should seek insight as to the cause and resolve it. If it is in keeping with your normal actions, it is imperative that you correct the behavior and grow as a person or you run no small risk of ruin.

I'm just here for the post count to gain access to the lounge. OP seems to be in another medical school system and therefore I feel apathetic to comment further due to lack of insight of how other schools oversea operate.

1st-
gas-grass-or-ass-sticker-nobody-rides-for-free-decal-8053-p.png

2nd-
You approach would get you expelled from my school. Good luck with the cheating.
3rd-
You definitely want to cut ties with this psycho. Her non cheating, successful ways might rub off on you.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.