Dealing with Annoying Classmates on Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my rotation, me and other med student have to meet with the Attending weekly to get pimped. The other student is obviously very smart, but extremely annoying.

The attending started by asking him to list the causes of X. He listed about 5-6 causes, and I just sat there and listened because the question wasn't directed toward me. I knew the answers, but I wasn't about to steal his thunder.

Then, the attending asks me to list the causes of Y. I list 1 thing and before I can say the next things on my mind, this annoying guy interrupts and names off everything that was on the tip of my tongue. Then, I looked like a dunce because I didn't have anything else to add. THE QUESTION WAS DIRECTED TO ME!! :smuggrin:

Additionally, this guy wouldn't even let the attending finish his sentences. The attending was trying to teach, but the annoying guy would interrupt and finish every one of his sentences. The attending actually said, "You're the type of person who likes to interrupt and disrupt my train of thought, aren't you?"

Is this guy making me look bad, or making himself look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

He's making himself look like an annoying colleague, but he's making you look stupid.

You need to be assertive with these types. Don't let him interrupt you without calling his attention to it. He may not even realize he's doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to be assertive with these types. Don't let him interrupt you without calling his attention to it. He may not even realize he's doing it.

Off-line maybe, out of sight/hearing of the attending. The only thing worse than one annoying person is two annoying people arguing about who is more annoying.

I would sit quietly the entire rotation, never saying a thing or showing any signs of discomfort or irritation. Then on the last day when he does it again, roll your eyes once so that the attending sees it. You'll get syle points, trust me.

Off-line maybe, out of sight/hearing of the attending. The only thing worse than one annoying person is two annoying people arguing about who is more annoying.

I would sit quietly the entire rotation, never saying a thing or showing any signs of discomfort or irritation. Then on the last day when he does it again, roll your eyes once so that the attending sees it. You'll get syle points, trust me.

:thumbup:

The attending actually said, "You're the type of person who likes to interrupt and disrupt my train of thought, aren't you?"

Pretty obvious, no?

I feel like a few people(definitely not the majority, thankfully, shows 3rd year med students are still human beings) think they have to "kiss" ass or act extra nice to residents/attendings to like you. If that has to happen, it probably means your personality is so bad, you have to actually try to be nice. Being genuine, sincere, and respectable by just being yourself is all you really need to make most residents/attendings to like you. And you don't need to answer OTHER people's questions, unless the resident/attending turns to you or "opens" the question up asking if anyone else wants to add on the differential or knows the answer.

Of course, the people who need to hear this probably think they are perfect, or disregard the fact that rotating with med students should be a team effort and friends to a degree, and not "I'm only here for myself, noone here means anything".

he's a douche but is making you look like you don't know anything. You need to talk with him in private and let him know how you feel. Otherwise it could negatively affect your eval/grade unfortunately.

the "style points" as mentioned above is a very bad move in my opinion. The attending right now has little idea of how much you know. Yeah the other student clearly has poor people skills but that is not the most important thing when it comes to an eval...

start showing what you know... if you know it, then say it. don't wait.

it seems like if he doesn't care who the question is addressed to, neither should you. get over it and show what you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can find a humorous way to bring it up/stop him from doing it, it might have a better outcome than confronting him afterwards. Something like:

Hey now, give the rest of us a chance to answer eh?

Said with a smile. Humor isn't my forte, but you get the idea. Diffuses the situation, gives you a chance to answer and plus points in the handling difficult people department imo.

I haven't been on rounds yet, but I've had this happen several times. I usually nip it in the bud before it becomes habit (i.e. before the other person thinks they can get away with that crap with me). What I usually do is the moment I'm cut-off, I turn my head and politely ask if it's ok if I finish the rest of my sentence. That usually shocks them, and then I finish what I was saying without waiting for a response.

I haven't been on rounds yet, but I've had this happen several times. I usually nip it in the bud before it becomes habit (i.e. before the other person thinks they can get away with that crap with me). What I usually do is the moment I'm cut-off, I turn my head and politely ask if it's ok if I finish the rest of my sentence. That usually shocks them, and then I finish what I was saying without waiting for a response.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

THIS.

All you have to do is be assertive but in a tactful way. That commands respect, gets people off of your back, and allows you to keep doing your job!

~Kalyx

Noted.

Yeah, something like this. What I did in these situations (they will come up again, because there are plenty of douchebag classmates like this,) is ask the attending, "Were you asking me or him (her)?" every time they do this.

Excellent advice.

I second whoever said to give him the stare of death and tell him to shut up while you're talking (politely of course). There's no reason for him to be interrupting when you're asked a question and you need to make that clear to him.

While its a dangerous assumption I think you all aren't giving your instructors enough credit, if they know your name they can see this, if they don't, you can worry.

While its a dangerous assumption I think you all aren't giving your instructors enough credit, if they know your name they can see this, if they don't, you can worry.

what do you mean?

what do you mean?

Basically it depends on the instructor, I feel like the ones who try to get to know their students would pick up on behavior as illustrated by the OP, and as long as the OP is normally solid, who cares. Then you get the people who just don't care and slam the op for being quiet or not knowing stuff, all they remember is the 1 item DDx not the insufferable know it all....that sort of thing.

Basically it depends on the instructor, I feel like the ones who try to get to know their students would pick up on behavior as illustrated by the OP, and as long as the OP is normally solid, who cares. Then you get the people who just don't care and slam the op for being quiet or not knowing stuff, all they remember is the 1 item DDx not the insufferable know it all....that sort of thing.

You can get a good gauge for this just by watching the attending. Of course, I am operating on the impression that YOU can read social cues, of course. But if the attending has that "what the ****?" look on her face when he interrupts, or right out instructs the other person to be quiet so you can answer, then you're in good shape, as the quoted post holds. Really good instructors will do the "hey jeff, what's teh differential diagnosis for BLEH?" and when jack pipes in, "ok jack, i know you've got an answer, but let's let jeff come up with the answer." Then you KNOW you're in the good.

Some upper levels and even some attendings suck at this. Personally, I found that on surgery, the attendings, and residents for that matter, were so engrossed in themselves they couldn't bother and separate one student from another. In fact, three people got the EXACT same (lengthly) evaluation. Two of them had the same name used. So if the attending isn't letting on that he's with you, you might need to talk to your compatriot. As has been said, definitely do it in private as in doing in public makes you look like a douche (and hurts you WAY more than "not knowing something").

In the end, integrity of character will hold under scrutiny. If you maintain yourself as a knowledgeable team player, it often shows. Having been on both sides of the fence (and having had the same anxieties you do) I can safely tell you that most of the residents see right through that gunner bull for what it is. We think the same thing you do, "ugh this guy is SUCH a gunner, hes SOOOO annoying." I tend not to voice those opinions as such (this is a student I can improve, instead), but that gut, visceral reaction is there.

So unless you've got a self absorbed douche bag team for upper levels, you may not need any intervention at all. For the sake of your companion, you might want to help him out. But for your sake, you're probably not being lumped in with him as one collective unit nor are you singled out as the "guy who didn't have a differential diagnosis"

Additionally, this guy wouldn't even let the attending finish his sentences. The attending was trying to teach, but the annoying guy would interrupt and finish every one of his sentences. The attending actually said, "You're the type of person who likes to interrupt and disrupt my train of thought, aren't you?"

He's making himself look bad. NO ONE likes to be interrupted. There is a chance he's making you both look bad. Maybe. Unlikely, since the attending has already pointed it out, singling that dude out as the culprit (positive prognostic sign for you).

The higher character thing to do would be to talk to him about it. But who is going to listen to the dunce who doesn't have all the answers? I would be careful about talking to him, since you probably won't get through, especially if you are angry about it. Better advice would be to talk to your residents. If you have a specified time for evaluations, you can bring it up there. Or, if you develop some semblence of rapport with one, ask that resident how he thinks you are doing, and, if its still an issue then, bring up your concerns. Its amazing how few residents offer meaningful feedback but if asked for, they could probably say something pretty interesting. Obviously do this in private also.

This is a very common stereotype - certainly amongst med students! Overly competitive colleagues tend to be annoyingly interactive, blurting out every possible answer at any question asked, they almost seem automated! It wouldn't be fair to assume all are attention-seekers, some are not aware of their behaviour.

You may start off by discussing it with him individually. If nothing changes then you may give hints like Sol Rosenberg said and note it down in their evaluation. He made himself look bad, especially that the attending pointed it out.

All the best! :)

I think he's making himself look bad (the attending said as much), but you're not getting a chance to look good either; you don't get any points just because he's hurting himself.

The next time he interrupts you, cut him off with, "Excuse me"--it's not at all rude to interrupt someone if they interrupted you first. Then if he keeps doing it, talk to him alone about how he's hurting you both.

As an aside, I hate asshats like this. When you're on a team with someone, the idea should be to make EVERYONE look good, not throw your teammates under the bus :thumbdown: