Dealing with Depression/Anxiety in Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icandoit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
none

Members don't see this ad.

Where is everyone on the board? Is there anyone who can talk and help 'icandoit'? please do so as soon as possible 'cause this person needs your advice.

Is there anyway for you to repeat only the courses you did not perform well in? Can you ask yourself why it did not work out well this semester? I'm just wondering whether your grades were just minimal "some highs and some lows, which averages out in the end to below average". Text anxiety is very common but if it causes you to perform worse than normal, then there has to be a way to overcome this. As for personal issues, are they getting in the way of study time/class time? Because if you don't resolve your issues, then they are just going to pile on top each other. Family? Friends? Why?

If your optometry school is the type of institution that desires to keep every single student that enters, then I believe that you will be given a second chance. But with this second chance, do you think you can pull thru second year when you feel pressured to perform better second year than first year? Because if you aren't confident enough, you are likely to end up in a deeper rut than before. Then your worst nightmare will come true.

So is it better to pull out now, rest your brain for a year and then return? or are you mentally capable of focusing (regardless of having to repeat first year or run thru second year) in the up coming school year? Be sure to talk to your family and closest friends honestly and geninuely. They will do the best they can to direct you better. Forget about your pride and ego. Now is the time to talk. Ask your upperclass students who have gone thru this situation and what they did. Perhaps you will be inspired to kick ass and beat the system. Hope this helps.

icandoit,

i understand what you're going through.... they FORCED me to repeat first year.... and it bugged the heck out of me how stupid people who were so immature and foolish (ie. were able to pull fire alarms!) didn't get held back with me...

for me, that's what really stressed me out more than anything.... trust me, it's upsetting... but try and think of it this way.... think of it as a way of getting those really stupid people who act so immature (and think that by trying harder you can get revenge on these foolish people!)

that's the best way... rise above those that are able to get away with foolish behaviour... and then teach them a lesson later....

i know it may sound horrible... but i was so depressed, that when i had many long talks with friends, that they told me to think that way... and it sort of works because it helps to keep me going...

stick in there

cv

Members don't see this ad :)
hey "i can do it"
just know that you can do it. God has not brought you through all these processes to see you fail. Everything is a test so when you come through it you can have a testimony and by that way you will appreciate everything that God has given to you. First take a deep breath and quiet your spirit by saying a prayer and just give everything up to God, who has brought you to this point in your life safely.
Once you do that the sky is the limit, get up, get on task, what your going through everyone has experienced in one form or another you are not alone. It's going to be hard. Get up and do something. "... as long as you have breath, you have the opportunity to go it again." It ain't over, so just face whatever anxiety you have head on. Don't wait a week before a test to do hard core studying. Don't study with people who aren't focused. Be on time to class. Take notes. Raise your hand when you have a question. Form good study habits. You know what to do to be a success now do it!
I love you, stay strong, don't let the world get you down, today is already better. You can do it.
Talk to me if you need someone to talk to.
[email protected]

It might be wise to consider the possibility of taking an antidepressant, several of which are also used to treat anxiety. Now I don't think pills are the answer to life's problems or anything, but you mentioned that you've had to deal with it before. The added stress of Optometry school may have brought it on worse. I had a really rough time wit it my senior year of college. Only after that did I find out that just about everyone on my mother's side of the family has/had the same problem. I got on an SSRI (selective seretonin reuptake inhibitor) and it snapped me out of it pretty quickly. Of course I still have my problems and stress, but it's a lot easier to deal with it now. I don't get all the feelings of hopelessness and anxiety that used to keep me from doing things as best I could. I know that some people look down upon taking a drug that affects your mind, and say all you need is therapy or God or to hug a puppy or whatever else. I'm not saying those couldn't be all or part of the answer for you, but if you were born with asthma, you would treat it, right? If you think there could be a medical component to this then it's something you need to look into. Anyway, that is my two cents. Please feel free to PM me if you like.

I know several people in my class battle panic attacks during exam weeks. (and other stressful times in school) None of them are failing, but they take anti-depressants for their anxiety and it really does seem to help.

I do have some friends who have failed classes. At UHCO you are asked to repeat the year (minus the classes you passed with at least a B) .... it is rough, but in the long run it's for you own good to make sure you've absorbed the material.

I do see it as rough to do that to some of my friends who failed pharm by only two questions... but they have to draw the line somewhere. I have another friend who thought she failed and they bumped her up. So, it's ultimately the prof and dean's call. Those are the rules.

I hope things worked out for you. OD school is NO cake walk no matter what some of the other users are saying. You have to work your ass off.. but it's worth it when you get to fouth year and see why you're truly here.

i'm very against people taking drugs... do not take those anti-depressants! :thumbdown:

it's all about thinking positive and keeping that thought well imbedded in your mind...

there's no need to rely on drugs, because if you do, opt school will eventually do you in.... just think positive... and skip classes if you need a breather....

i've talked to friends at other schools (not boston) who get so stressed because classes take away from studying time... that's why i love how boston is... we can skip classes and still ace the tests

... skipping classes allows us to have time to relax... go out and have fun... and keep stress level down... this in turn, allows us to enter exams with high levels of confidence.... it works out well... try it and you'll see :thumbup:

for some people it makes them more stressed to skip class ..... they feel like they're even more behind.

cpw said:
for some people it makes them more stressed to skip class ..... they feel like they're even more behind.

very very true.... and i used to feel that way... that is, until i started skipping and also doing well at the same time...

it just requires a test phase.... and then it pays off :thumbup:

Is Opt school really that rigorous? How is it compared to undergrad? I come from a more academically-based university...although I'm not among the top students in my classes, I certainly do do above average in them. Is depression and anxiety that common among optometry students?

drbizzaro said:
i'm very against people taking drugs... do not take those anti-depressants! :thumbdown:

it's all about thinking positive and keeping that thought well imbedded in your mind...

there's no need to rely on drugs, because if you do, opt school will eventually do you in.... just think positive... and skip classes if you need a breather....

i've talked to friends at other schools (not boston) who get so stressed because classes take away from studying time... that's why i love how boston is... we can skip classes and still ace the tests

... skipping classes allows us to have time to relax... go out and have fun... and keep stress level down... this in turn, allows us to enter exams with high levels of confidence.... it works out well... try it and you'll see :thumbup:
I don't mean this maliciously, but the post I'm citing here represents an extremely ignorant view of the nature of clinical depression. It might be profitable for you to at least *consider* the possibility that expecting a clinically depressed patient to "think their way out of it" isn't terribly unlike expecting the same thing from a cancer patient.

Just a thought.

I agree that your average person just trying to cope with stress should probably stay away from the antidepressants, but there are also people who are predisposed to depression and anxiety who have a legitimate need for them. I thought that might be the case with Icandoit. It can be hard thing to understand if you haven't had to deal with it yourself. It not like you can just throw yourself into an positive mindset so easily. At least I don't relieve my anxiety by having meaningless one night stands with girls in Boston. ;)

aphistis said:
I don't mean this maliciously, but the post I'm citing here represents an extremely ignorant view of the nature of clinical depression. It might be profitable for you to at least *consider* the possibility that expecting a clinically depressed patient to "think their way out of it" isn't terribly unlike expecting the same thing from a cancer patient.

Just a thought.

:thumbup:

leviz said:
I agree that your average person just trying to cope with stress should probably stay away from the antidepressants, but there are also people who are predisposed to depression and anxiety who have a legitimate need for them. I thought that might be the case with Icandoit. It can be hard thing to understand if you haven't had to deal with it yourself. It not like you can just throw yourself into an positive mindset so easily. At least I don't relieve my anxiety by having meaningless one night stands with girls in Boston. ;)

that's what i'm saying! the average person does NOT need these pills... too many people just rely on pills in order to make their subconscious feel better... it's better to just give them placebo....

also, what is wrong with one-night stands? it's good for both parties, as long as their mature about it... :thumbup: