Dealing with old damaging transcripts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warcax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have like a 3.6 cumulative and over 3.75 science but this comes with a catch... like in 2003 i went one semester to a CC and have around 12 semester units worth of Fs that my undergrad college does not know about. I know omission is not a good idea. Therefore, i was wondering if repeating the classes another time would be beneficial or is it just a waste of time? I've already repeated them once by necessity(they are basically college prep classes algebra/prep chem/prep phys/ esl english). So a third repeat makes mathematical sense, but it does seem quite silly to me... am i better off just explaining those grades in my statement? I have already been to said CC and asked if i could get those grades converted into Ws, seems very unlikely. Anyways when all is said and done, my gpa drops to around 3.4. This implies that i would need a strong mcat score to apply into any M.D program. What do you application veterans suggest i do?

Members don't see this ad.

So i have like a 3.6 cumulative and over 3.75 science but this comes with a catch... like in 2003 i went one semester to a CC and have around 12 semester units worth of Fs that my undergrad college does not know about. I know omission is not a good idea. Therefore, i was wondering if repeating the classes another time would be beneficial or is it just a waste of time? I've already repeated them once by necessity(they are basically college prep classes algebra/prep chem/prep phys/ esl english). So a third repeat makes mathematical sense, but it does seem quite silly to me... am i better off just explaining those grades in my statement? I have already been to said CC and asked if i could get those grades converted into Ws, seems very unlikely. Anyways when all is said and done, my gpa drops to around 3.4. This implies that i would need a strong mcat score to apply into any M.D program. What do you application veterans suggest i do?

There has to be a reason for getting all Fs at a CC- and a very good reason. It should be good enough for you to request the semester to be retroactively withdrawn. Keep trying until they do it- it is possible.

Having a semester of Fs wont kill you in the long run esp if your cGPA is above 3.5, but if it drops below that, it looks bad.

I agree that you should continue the appeal for retroactive withdrawal from the F classes. You've already retaken them once, so there is no need to do so again.

Be aware that AACOMAS, the DO application service will only count the most recent retake when they calculate the application GPA, provided the credit hours are the same or greater and the course content is similar (even if the course name isn't identical).

For AMCAS schools, the fact that those grades were earned so long ago will likely result in them being given less weight, but a good explanation is still in order, whether they are ultimately listed as F or W. And still, a strong MCAT score would be a good idea.