Dealing with smelly clients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyHalcyon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
*For those that notice, I changed my user name for various reasons. My "picture" should still be the same*

Client was transferred to me in November bc the therapist she was seeing for the past 2 years quit our place of employment. Client was scheduled for every other week sessions. Client either canceled or no-showed all her appointments scheduled with me for November and December.

Met client for the first time today and she smells like cat urine. The smell is so bad the entire building smelled and I had to breathe through my mouth during the session. Although it was gross, the bigger issue is I am highly allergic to cats and during the last 20min of the sessions my eyes started watering, itchy throat etc.

I am not sure how to proceed. My initial thought was to call her and tell her I had an allergic reaction (not sure if I should mention the smell as we do not have a therapeutic relationship). Unfortunately no other therapist where I work will take her, either because their caseload is full or because they don't want to deal with the smell (apparently everyone knows how bad she smells and I totally got bamboozled into taking her because I was new). I suppose it is possible after I tell her about my allergies she will make sure she showers and wears clean clothes to our sessions, but I'm not optimistic, especially because she seems to be a fun blend of Borderline and Narcissistic PD. I could also tell her, given the complexity of her case, I would like her to undergo a psychological evaluation for diagnostic clarification and couch it under the argument she has had regular therapy for years and still isn't getting much better. Referring her for testing will buy me some time (we do testing where I work but I wouldn't be the one doing it). By the time the report is complete, it is likely we will have a new clinician who could take the case. Either way, it's an uncomfortable situation to address. Any suggestions are very much welcomed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

My immediate reaction and concern is about the therapeutic needs of the client and wanting to ensure that those are met. This means the priority to me would be helping increase their awareness of hygiene issues and helping them address how smelling like urine may impact broader social and employment opportunities. This is a major and common issue which is, as you said, very uncomfortable to talk about. It's also one that is dodged a lot. That's one that you may encounter again in the future as well. It seems to me that the best course of action would be to take antihistamines before the next session then talk with her about this difficult issue. This addresses it head forward because of your needs and also (and mainly) because of the clinical issue underlying the client presentation. In some ways, this is fortunate as you can couch it within the framework of your allergies (note: I would encourage you not to shy away from the discussion of smell to focus exclusively on your needs). Referral for testing doesn't seem particularly relevant based on your summary and using it to 'buy time' isn't an appropriate rationale. If you need to refer to another therapist because of the allergy, the discussion of smell has still been started and continue to receive needed clinical attention. Based on the no-show/cancellation rate and your diagnostic speculation, I suspect this won't be a long-term/lasting conversation.

I would talk to your supervisor about both of these issues (your allergy and the clients hygiene needs) to generate a plan to address them both.

Reactions: 1 user
My immediate reaction and concern is about the therapeutic needs of the client and wanting to ensure that those are met. This means the priority to me would be helping increase their awareness of hygiene issues and helping them address how smelling like urine may impact broader social and employment opportunities. This is a major and common issue which is, as you said, very uncomfortable to talk about. It's also one that is dodged a lot. That's one that you may encounter again in the future as well. It seems to me that the best course of action would be to take antihistamines before the next session then talk with her about this difficult issue. This addresses it head forward because of your needs and also (and mainly) because of the clinical issue underlying the client presentation. In some ways, this is fortunate as you can couch it within the framework of your allergies (note: I would encourage you not to shy away from the discussion of smell to focus exclusively on your needs). Referral for testing doesn't seem particularly relevant based on your summary and using it to 'buy time' isn't an appropriate rationale. If you need to refer to another therapist because of the allergy, the discussion of smell has still been started and continue to receive needed clinical attention. Based on the no-show/cancellation rate and your diagnostic speculation, I suspect this won't be a long-term/lasting conversation.

I would talk to your supervisor about both of these issues (your allergy and the clients hygiene needs) to generate a plan to address them both.
Thank you for the helpful advice! I was processing this with a colleague/friend and they also felt the evaluation route wasn't a good idea. While I do actually think an evaluation would be clinically useful, I think I need to be clear about my personal problems with her smell. It's funny how I find myself rationalizing why it isn't important to tell her about the smell and how focusing on my allergies "makes more sense." I do know she has a therapy cat and I was thinking I could validate her ability to use the cat as a coping strategy and discuss how I don't want to interfere with the coping strategy.

At the same time, she has been coming to our office for several years and everyone knows her by that smell. I really should tell her and part of me is very aware I am avoiding because of my own discomfort. That being said, I really was having an allergic reaction. Is it unreasonable to think that is enough of a reason to terminate or transfer?

Members don't see this ad :)
That being said, I really was having an allergic reaction. Is it unreasonable to think that is enough of a reason to terminate or transfer?

Read up on the ethics code, generate potential ethical issues/resolutions, and talk to your supervisor about their appropriateness/feasibility. And then tuck this little ethical gem away from behavioral job interviews/post doc interviews, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Read up on the ethics code, generate potential ethical issues/resolutions, and talk to your supervisor about their appropriateness/feasibility. And then tuck this little ethical gem away from behavioral job interviews/post doc interviews, etc.
Haha duly noted. Although in my defense she fortunately is not a high risk client. I have two weeks to figure it out. Sometimes being a psychologist is very uncomfortable.

Benadryl and vaporub around the nostrils.
Good idea. What about the clients who come in immediately after? I guess I need a REALLY good room deodorizer. I've never had a cat bc I'm highly allergic, but I do have a dog. Don't cats pee in litter boxes? How can she smell so strongly of cat urine? I don't understand!

Good idea. What about the clients who come in immediately after? I guess I need a REALLY good room deodorizer. I've never had a cat bc I'm highly allergic, but I do have a dog. Don't cats pee in litter boxes? How can she smell so strongly of cat urine? I don't understand!

If you can, plastic furniture and good biological odor neutralizer. You can lysol and wipe the chair down. Our hospital has some industrial stuff that does a bang up job. Additionally, if it's feasible, you can try and get this patient moved to the last slot of the day and let the room air out overnight.

“Client, we need to have a difficult talk. This is because I care about you. I am not trying to embarrass you. It’s my job to help you improve and I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t tell you. I’ll tell you and then we’re going to drop it.

You smell like cat pee, which many people have commented on. I fear this might be affecting your life in other ways.

Now let’s drop it and move on.”

Reactions: 4 users
“Client, we need to have a difficult talk. This is because I care about you. I am not trying to embarrass you. It’s my job to help you improve and I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t tell you. I’ll tell you and then we’re going to drop it.

You smell like cat pee, which many people have commented on. I fear this might be affecting your life in other ways.

Now let’s drop it and move on.”
Blah. But you are right.

You will have many difficult conversations, but being able to handle the conversations compassionately but directly should serve you and your patients at the end of the day. It’s also an opportunity to model appropriate behavior and communication, which can also benefit the patient.

In 95% of cases that involve hygiene (i’ve seen it mostly in hording cases), the person is aware of the issue, but for one or more reasons has not been willing/able to address it...not willing to give up the cats, can’t afford to change the environment, is so depressed that just getting to appts is a real struggle, etc. Ppl in her life likely have said something in the past, but you may be in a position to actually help her address it.

Back when I mentored fellows and residents, i’d regularly model how to have difficult conversations. Then we would talk about it, and then we’d role-play so they could work on phrasing before having to do it themselves. Unfortunately, some providers will avoid topics bc they are uncomfortable, and usually the patient picks up on their being uncomfortable and it complicates the rapport and relationship. Sexual dysfunction, abuse, and terminal diagnoses, etc...all quite common areas of struggle for clinicians.

In the brain injury/rehab/neurologic disorder world..difficult conversations are plentiful. For instance, patients who have sustained a spinal cord injury often have questions/concerns about bowel & bladder management, sexual functioning, feeling less of a man/woman, etc. They can be hesitant to mention it to providers, so it is up to the provider to ask and be willing to frame it in such a way the patient feels comfortable.

Okay...enough touchy feels stuff...back to my banker’s box (1 of 2) of my record review. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
You will have many difficult conversations, but being able to handle the conversations compassionately but directly should serve you and your patients at the end of the day. It’s also an opportunity to model appropriate behavior and communication, which can also benefit the patient.

In 95% of cases that involve hygiene (i’ve seen it mostly in hording cases), the person is aware of the issue, but for one or more reasons has not been willing/able to address it...not willing to give up the cats, can’t afford to change the environment, is so depressed that just getting to appts is a real struggle, etc. Ppl in her life likely have said something in the past, but you may be in a position to actually help her address it.

Back when I mentored fellows and residents, i’d regularly model how to have difficult conversations. Then we would talk about it, and then we’d role-play so they could work on phrasing before having to do it themselves. Unfortunately, some providers will avoid topics bc they are uncomfortable, and usually the patient picks up on their being uncomfortable and it complicates the rapport and relationship. Sexual dysfunction, abuse, and terminal diagnoses, etc...all quite common areas of struggle for clinicians.

In the brain injury/rehab/neurologic disorder world..difficult conversations are plentiful. For instance, patients who have sustained a spinal cord injury often have questions/concerns about bowel & bladder management, sexual functioning, feeling less of a man/woman, etc. They can be hesitant to mention it to providers, so it is up to the provider to ask and be willing to frame it in such a way the patient feels comfortable.

Okay...enough touchy feels stuff...back to my banker’s box (1 of 2) of my record review. Good luck!
I do recognize that a piece of this is definitely my desire to avoid an uncomfortable conversation with an already difficult client. I do agree her lack of hygiene should be addressed in therapy and is an important part of the treatment process. That being said, I am not exaggerating my cat allergies. I can't even spend more than 15 minutes in a house where there are cats, even when the cats are locked away in the bathroom. What if I bring this up and address but, for whatever reason, she isn't able to address the issue? I understand our ethics code is very clear about client abandonment, but the code also discusses when a therapist should consider referring to another provider. I worry I won't be able to effectively treat her because of the allergies and therefore am somewhat inclined to voice this concern before we form a therapeutic relationship.

I do recognize that a piece of this is definitely my desire to avoid an uncomfortable conversation with an already difficult client. I do agree her lack of hygiene should be addressed in therapy and is an important part of the treatment process. That being said, I am not exaggerating my cat allergies. I can't even spend more than 15 minutes in a house where there are cats, even when the cats are locked away in the bathroom. What if I bring this up and address but, for whatever reason, she isn't able to address the issue? I understand our ethics code is very clear about client abandonment, but the code also discusses when a therapist should consider referring to another provider. I worry I won't be able to effectively treat her because of the allergies and therefore am somewhat inclined to voice this concern before we form a therapeutic relationship.

It sounds like you are using your allergies to avoid the difficult conversation about hygiene. Can you take an allergy pill before your visit? Or be creative and do a video appointment? My child does them with their therapist sometimes, and likes them. Maybe that’s a way to discuss it without worrying about allergies. I think it’s a bit unethical to just pass her off due to her smell, which it seems is the primary reason, not the allergy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you are using your allergies to avoid the difficult conversation about hygiene. Can you take an allergy pill before your visit? Or be creative and do a video appointment? My child does them with their therapist sometimes, and likes them. Maybe that’s a way to discuss it without worrying about allergies. I think it’s a bit unethical to just pass her off due to her smell, which it seems is the primary reason, not the allergy.
Sorry if I made it seem that way. Don't get me wrong, the smell is uncomfortable and after getting feedback I do think it is important to discuss both the smell and my allergies, rather than just my allergies. That being said I am not exaggerating my allergies.

Sorry if I made it seem that way. Don't get me wrong, the smell is uncomfortable and after getting feedback I do think it is important to discuss both the smell and my allergies, rather than just my allergies. That being said I am not exaggerating my allergies.

I do not envy the difficult position you find yourself in. I have friends who have severe allergies and they struggle a great deal. As a client, I would not want a therapist with watering eyes, sneezing, etc...or potential drowsiness of medicine. You matter in the room too, and I think that this is good timing in that the therapeutic relationship has not yet been formed. Good luck!

I do not envy the difficult position you find yourself in. I have friends who have severe allergies and they struggle a great deal. As a client, I would not want a therapist with watering eyes, sneezing, etc...or potential drowsiness of medicine. You matter in the room too, and I think that this is good timing in that the therapeutic relationship has not yet been formed. Good luck!
Thank you. I have been going back and forth on this. It's a very difficult situation. I appreciate all the advice I have received on the forum tremendously.

How about you talk to the previous therapist she was seeing and ask if they ever brought up the hygiene issue and what happened? You said she was referred from someone so that shouldn't be difficult to do? Contact them like hello X I understand you previously saw patient Y and I was wondering if during the course of TX there was any work done on hygiene and if Ys personal hygiene was in a poor state at the time of TX with you? I am trying to determine if this is an escalation of symptoms from patinet Ys last time in TX or if this ongoing facet of their symptomology---if so i was curious if there was any therapeutic work done on this issue and what the outcomes were if any?

I think you just have to be understanding and up front about the issue from there. Severe depression can have severe hygiene issues as well. Maybe working on hygiene can be bits of "homework" and an area for therapeutic intervention.. rough situation

How about you talk to the previous therapist she was seeing and ask if they ever brought up the hygiene issue and what happened? You said she was referred from someone so that shouldn't be difficult to do? Contact them like hello X I understand you previously saw patient Y and I was wondering if during the course of TX there was any work done on hygiene and if Ys personal hygiene was in a poor state at the time of TX with you? I am trying to determine if this is an escalation of symptoms from patinet Ys last time in TX or if this ongoing facet of their symptomology---if so i was curious if there was any therapeutic work done on this issue and what the outcomes were if any?

I think you just have to be understanding and up front about the issue from there. Severe depression can have severe hygiene issues as well. Maybe working on hygiene can be bits of "homework" and an area for therapeutic intervention.. rough situation
Without any graduate training in ethics or intervention, you may not want to offer guidance on clinical issues. It's an issue of scope. I mean this not as a dismissive comment but one to steer you from overstepping and rubbing someone wrong as you seek and start training.

Last edited:
Without any graduate training in ethics or intervention, you may not want to offer guidance on clinical issues. It's an issue of scope. I mean this not as a dismissive comment but one to steer you from overstepping and rubbing someone wrong as you seek and start training.

I worked with homeless, dirty, and at times smelly clients before..and we discussed issues like this in supervision. Regardless it's not that difficult to conceptualize ways of addressing the issue if the OP feels it needs to be addressed. This is an internet forum for students as well in case you didnt realize, it is called "student" doc network. I didnt realize we needed licensure to give input. You need to relax. It's not like I'm on an internship and telling a superior how to do their job. Someone asked advice on an internet forum.

I have no clinical advice to give, but as someone who lovingly owns two cats I can comment on improving smell for you and other clients. Since this seems to be a well known client...I wonder if your workplace would supply you with a good air filter? We have the Austin Healthmate at home and our friends/family (even those with mild cat allergies) report that they do not notice the litter box smell or feel as allergic. We bought it cheap off Craigslist. However...I honestly am not sure why your client would smell so strongly of cat urine unless the entire home is really that bad. Cats do use boxes, but some cats (like mine) will find elsewhere if the boxes are not cleaned to their satisfaction...

Reactions: 1 users
I have no clinical advice to give, but as someone who lovingly owns two cats I can comment on improving smell for you and other clients. Since this seems to be a well known client...I wonder if your workplace would supply you with a good air filter? We have the Austin Healthmate at home and our friends/family (even those with mild cat allergies) report that they do not notice the litter box smell or feel as allergic. We bought it cheap off Craigslist. However...I honestly am not sure why your client would smell so strongly of cat urine unless the entire home is really that bad. Cats do use boxes, but some cats (like mine) will find elsewhere if the boxes are not cleaned to their satisfaction...
It turns our she has more than one handful of cats. She actually took the news surprisingly well and basically said if I'm allergic to cats we aren't a good fit.

Reactions: 2 users
It turns our she has more than one handful of cats. She actually took the news surprisingly well and basically said if I'm allergic to cats we aren't a good fit.

I'm glad it worked out! Though...allergy to cats isn't going to be her main barrier to close relationships... :(

I'm glad it worked out! Though...allergy to cats isn't going to be her main barrier to close relationships... :(

I’d wager that in many cases relationship difficulties and owning a large pride of cats are already synonymous.

Last edited:
I'm a dog person [emoji23

It’s not so much dogs vs. cats as the level of care needed with cats is lower for the companionship. You don’t have to give as much in the caretaking/attentiveness department. It’s a more efficient way of not being lonely. That being said, having a large pack of dogs could likely say other things about interpersonal difficulties, but I’ve never heard the term “crazy dog lady” popularized. Albeit, I’ve actually met a “crazy dog couple.” The lower level of their house was a mess of dog hair, urine, and poop.

It’s not so much dogs vs. cats as the level of care needed with cats is lower for the companionship. You don’t have to give as much in the caretaking/attentiveness department. It’s a more efficient way of not being lonely. That being said, having a large pack of dogs could likely say other things about interpersonal difficulties, but I’ve never heard the term “crazy dog lady” popularized. Albeit, I’ve actually met a “crazy dog couple.” The lower level of their house was a mess of dog hair, urine, and poop.
You make a very good point! I have conceptualized the "crazy cat lady" phenomenon as being associated with an insecure attachment style. Dogs are very demonstrative with their affection. They are excited when you interact with them, walk in the door, and they generally seek affection/attention. Cats on the other hand play hard to get in a sense. They are often dismissive and can even be downright rude! Therefore, I have deduced cats are the perfect pet for people who are lonely and are also attracted to emotionally unavailable individuals due to self-worth issues, which stem from their childhood.

You make a very good point! I have conceptualized the "crazy cat lady" phenomenon as being associated with an insecure attachment style. Dogs are very demonstrative with their affection. They are excited when you interact with them, walk in the door, and they generally seek affection/attention. Cats on the other hand play hard to get in a sense. They are often dismissive and can even be downright rude! Therefore, I have deduced cats are the perfect pet for people who are lonely and are also attracted to emotionally unavailable individuals due to self-worth issues, which stem from their childhood.

I would want to see how each individual's pet(s) interact with him/her to get a sense of the attachment style between the pet and owner. Both cats and dogs can be either aloof/dismissive or incredibly affectionate depending on the owner (and to some degree the inherited disposition of the cat/dog breed). However, when someone keeps getting more and more pets, and is having difficulty managing them, that's likely not a good sign. On the basis of simple care, a cat usually just goes in its litter box (unless the previous pet management issue is in effect) and can facilitate a more introverted lifestyle when at home, whereas dog upkeep usually requires more active/extroverted behaviors like potty training and walking. This could say something about introversion/extroversion or it could simply say something about a pre-existing lifestyle (busy daily life vs. lots of free time). It's a case by case basis, imho.

So many assumptions made here that are frankly wrong. Unless you own a cat I’d refrain from assumptions about their care and the people who own them. I own both cats and dogs and my cats require significant time and care, just different than the care my dogs require. In fact, one of my dogs came out of a dog hoarding situation. So to assume that cat people are crazy based on the number of cats they have or that they have interpersonal difficulties is pretty ridiculous. And to assume dog owners have a specific personality that is somehow “better” is frankly bs.

Wrong. Just wrong. Wow. Your ignorance is pretty astounding. I have cats that come when called and one of my dogs is not at all interested when we come home. It’s clear you don’t like cats but to make all these terrible assumptions about them and people who choose to love them is disappointing. I fostered cats and dogs for a local rescue for years. My personal n for the number of cats that came through my home on their way to a permanent home is well north of 100. I can say that the great majority of them were social and friendly. I could post a ton of pictures showing that but in order to maintain my anonymity I will not. Your gross over generalizations are pretty lame.

Wrong. Just wrong. Wow. Your ignorance is pretty astounding. I have cats that come when called and one of my dogs is not at all interested when we come home. It’s clear you don’t like cats but to make all these terrible assumptions about them and people who choose to love them is disappointing. I fostered cats and dogs for a local rescue for years. My personal n for the number of cats that came through my home on their way to a permanent home is well north of 100. I can say that the great majority of them were social and friendly. I could post a ton of pictures showing that but in order to maintain my anonymity I will not. Your gross over generalizations are pretty lame.
I was saying all of that in jest, kind of a tongue in cheek sort of thing. Didn't expect anyone to take is so seriously

Clearly hit a nerve there... #deepbreaths

After the heated response I decided to go to Google. I typed "Attachment style of cat owners psychology" just to see what I could find. This was the first link on the Google search. I'm sure there is additional/contradictory research available.

TLDR: "A study in 2010 asked 4,500 people to self-identify as either a dog person, cat person, both or neither, and looked at five personality traits using a self-report questionnaire. People who identified themselves as cat people showed significantly higher scores for neuroticism and openness than dog people, and significantly lower scores for extroversion, agreeableness and conscientiousness."View attachment toxoplasmosis-Gosling2010.pdf

"Attachment theory is a useful lens through which to examine both perceptions and selection of companion animals. Study 1 compared perceptions of dogs and cats, and found that dogs were perceived as having more positive relationship qualities and secure attachment-related characteristics, whereas cats were perceived as having more negative relationship qualities and avoidant attachment-related characteristics. In addition, people perceived relationships with dogs to involve less avoidance and less anxiety relative to relationships with people. In study 2, which built on the findings of study 1, attachment avoidance was negatively associated with wanting to own a pet, whereas attachment anxiety was positive associated with wanting to own a pet. These attachment dimensions were not associated with wanting to own a dog, but lower avoidance and higher anxiety were associated with wanting to own a cat."

Anthrozoos A Multidisciplinary Journal of The Interactions of People & Animals 31(4):475-494 · July 2018

Anthrozoos. That's one I haven't heard before. Ok. I'm done with the cat/dog owner research. For now.

After the heated response I decided to go to Google. I typed "Attachment style of cat owners psychology" just to see what I could find. This was the first link on the Google search. I'm sure there is additional/contradictory research available.

TLDR: "A study in 2010 asked 4,500 people to self-identify as either a dog person, cat person, both or neither, and looked at five personality traits using a self-report questionnaire. People who identified themselves as cat people showed significantly higher scores for neuroticism and openness than dog people, and significantly lower scores for extroversion, agreeableness and conscientiousness."View attachment 249286

Self-report study vs someone's hundreds of cat pictures.....data looks equivocal.

So many assumptions made here that are frankly wrong. Unless you own a cat I’d refrain from assumptions about their care and the people who own them. I own both cats and dogs and my cats require significant time and care, just different than the care my dogs require. In fact, one of my dogs came out of a dog hoarding situation. So to assume that cat people are crazy based on the number of cats they have or that they have interpersonal difficulties is pretty ridiculous. And to assume dog owners have a specific personality that is somehow “better” is frankly bs.

I chose my words carefully (e.g. "many," instead of "all" or "most," and "could likely," instead of "would definitely") to avoid generalizations, because I don't think it can be clearly generalized. Particularly, there are going to be people in the dog/cat industry that rescue/breed cats/dogs, as well as other people that can functionally have a lot of cats/dogs without issue. As far as care goes, in my experience, it's much easier for me to care and attend to a cat than a dog. In my experience, cats clean themselves, they poop in their litter box, as long as it is kept clean, and they don't need to be walked/potty-trained. I've never had to do as much work with kittens/cats as I've had to do with puppies/dogs.

Disclosure: I own two Bengal cats currently (and have had quite a few of differing breeds and mixes throughout my life), and I have had dogs as well throughout my life (Pugs, Collies, German Wired-Haired Pointers, and mixed-breeds) when the space I live in accommodates them, which it currently does not. I also trained and showed a dog in my tweens for ribbons (long time ago now...).

Actually, about to move in the next month or so to a house and have been looking at Shih Tzus and Brussels Griffons, since I will have the space again for a dog... lol

Actually, about to move in the next month or so to a house and have been looking at Shih Tzus and Brussels Griffons, since I will have the space again for a dog... lol
My dog is a super neurotic 12-yr-old mix between a miniature schnauzer and a chihuahua. I've had her since she was 6 weeks. Let's just say I'm exhausted.

My dog is a super neurotic 12-yr-old mix between a miniature schnauzer and a chihuahua. I've had her since she was 6 weeks. Let's just say I'm exhausted.

My ex and kids picked up a Shih Tzu awhile back, and every time I'm over at my ex's house the little thing jumps into my arms and just stairs at me with giant doe eyes while I pet her. They have to shear her all the time though. Quite a bit of work. Same reason I avoid Persian cats even after growing up with them.

P.S. As cute as the dog is, it also pees all over anytime it's excited, which means while it's trying to jump into my arms it's peeing all over the floor and sometimes my shoes... rofl